Time and money? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Time and money?
Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:49 PM
Alright so I'm looking at picking up a 2002 z24 5 speed for $400-500. Its missing the front bumper cover, the passanger side fender is messed up, it needs a new slave cylinder, and i believe it needs a new head gasket. I would like to have it as a project car and take out the engine, rebuild for boost, and then get it up and running. I wont have the money for boost anytime soon but i want to build the internals to handle it for when the time comes (and hopefully i should get a few more ponies out of if while its N/A). I am unexperienced but i do have the knowledge, ability, and help to be able to rebuild an engine with no major issues. So in short I would just really appreciate some opinions on the time and money that this is going to require.

As far as performance parts I'm thinking pistons, rods, valves, injectors, 2.3 water pump, maybe "secret cam" (and thats all i can think of off the top of my mind)

And please dont just yell at me to do my research I've done a fair amount of research over the past year but i need to make a decision and i just want some helpful estimates as to time and money from those who have probably been here before

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Time and money?
Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:58 PM
Do you mean 2.3 oil pump and not water pump?

You would have to swap the front case, need to use the 2.3 cam gears and crank gear to do the water pump. Not sure if its been done before though.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:33 PM
Yes sir i believe you are right! Just a little something to show my intelligence, obviously I don't know all my stuff (as you can see from my little mix up) but yeah it would just be great to know how much time and money i would have to put into an engine rebuild/mod, I was pretty sold on doing it but now my parents have planted the seed of doubt in my mind, as i will soon be going to college and money and time will be limited.
Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:59 PM
What about valve springs, locks/retainers, h/g, head studs, cams, lifters, machine work, etc...? Determine what your goal is powerwise, rpms, etc.. and give the engine the support it needs to not only handle the power safely, but to be efficient and make the most out of it. Not everybody needs a fully built engine to accomplish their goal "the right way" so determining this will help you set up what you should in fact change in your engine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search