Cleaning Coolant Tank up? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cleaning Coolant Tank up?
Monday, February 06, 2012 4:40 PM
Has anyone have a good way to sharpen up the look of their coolant tank? Carbon fiber? but idk if you buy it like that or do it yourself? Or even just flushing it with water and soap? My tank is pretty dull and foggy some, just thought i'd ask. Thanks

Re: Cleaning Coolant Tank up?
Monday, February 06, 2012 8:34 PM
Not sure if soap and water would do anything, could try toilet bowl cleaner or some kind of a industrial cleaner maybe?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 12:28 PM
I know some people have gotten CF covers and such.. If I were to do anything to mine it would just be painting the outside.. I don't think cleaners would do much for you, I'd try it out with a junk yard one before messing with your original.
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 12:59 PM
Best way, just replace it all together.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:02 PM
you could lay your own carbon over it, but that can end up coming out crappy if you dont know what you're doing. I would just clean it and sand all the writing off, that would go a long way to making it look better.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:09 PM
I have experience with tint and I believe carbon fiber is the same... I like all those ideas. Guess ill go to the junkyard and mess with that one. Thanks for the input guys!
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 1:10 PM
Kind of like tint, with the bubble part, but its harder because it will stick to whatever you're trying to shape it with, and you effect the look of it based on how and where you stretch it, because the weave moves.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 3:01 PM
kevin Michael wrote:I have experience with tint and I believe carbon fiber is the same... I like all those ideas. Guess ill go to the junkyard and mess with that one. Thanks for the input guys!

No. Laying carbon fiber and laying tint are two very different things.
If you want to practice with carbon fiber, a coolant bottle is not the place to start. Start with flat surfaces and simple curves. Carbon fiber needs some persuasion to wrap tightly around curves and corners without bunching up or distorting the weave...it's a bit more involved than pulling bubbles out of tint. Something like a coolant bottle would normally be vacuum bagged with carbon fiber...not saying it can't be hand layed, but it's definitely not a beginner project that way.

I'd say if you're just looking to clean up the bottle, grab a bottle of Castrol Super Clean degreaser. Stuff will clean up the WORST dirt and build up. Stuff took off 8 year old dirt and grease from my transmission and block almost effortlessly. Scrub the bottle's outside with it, and let the inside soak a bit then blast it out with hot water.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:44 PM
honestly when you can buy them brand new from GM for under $30 dollars.. why even bother trying to clean it up?

you'll love the minty fresh look of a NOS one...

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:03 PM
30 Bucks doesnt sound bad. but might as well clean it up real quick since ill have to take it out anyways. But I appreciate all the input & about carbon fiber.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search