2.4l Ecotec - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4l Ecotec
Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:48 PM
Just curious why I do not see anyone swapping a 2.4l ecotec in there cars. I am assuming it would be a direct swap from a 2.2. Just curious that is all. Seems like it would be a better bang for your buck to all the 2.2l swappers. I would think it would be like swapping a 2.8/3.1 to a 3400/3500 engine in the second gens.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: 2.4l Ecotec
Friday, June 22, 2012 4:35 AM
its not... all the 2.4s have fly by wire throttles, fly by wire steering, and IIRC the reluctor wheel is different so the J-body PCM wouldn't know how to read the CKP (crank position sensor)

Friday, June 22, 2012 5:01 AM
It has been done before. You need an external trigger wheel to run it on the stock ECU and you need to swap on either a L61 or LSJ head. Oldskool has done it to his 2 Js, Newt has done it to his sunfire, and Qwibby had a turbo on his swap.

Error: Sig not found.

Friday, June 22, 2012 7:32 AM
lafonjef Online
I heard a guy claim to have aa complete 2.4 Turbo out of a colbalt in a 03-05 cavalier. Never saw it but he ssaid it runs.

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:43 AM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:its not... all the 2.4s have fly by wire throttles, fly by wire steering, and IIRC the reluctor wheel is different so the J-body PCM wouldn't know how to read the CKP (crank position sensor)

Its a car, not a plane, Kyle. DRIVE by wire.

Oh and it is not "drive by wire" steering, it's electronically assisted steering, as opposed to J's that have hydraulically assisted steering.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, June 22, 2012 3:51 PM
That is interesting it is sounding more and more like a 3400 swap in a second gen since you need a crank sensor and stuff swapped over from an old engine. Why can't you use the 2.4 eco head?

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Friday, June 22, 2012 5:42 PM
Dave wrote:
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:its not... all the 2.4s have fly by wire throttles, fly by wire steering, and IIRC the reluctor wheel is different so the J-body PCM wouldn't know how to read the CKP (crank position sensor)

Its a car, not a plane, Kyle. DRIVE by wire.

Oh and it is not "drive by wire" steering, it's electronically assisted steering, as opposed to J's that have hydraulically assisted steering.
fly drive... however you want to explain the signal transfer from the pedal to the throttle over a wire...

twas early this morning, so excuse the fly by wire remark for steering... Hyundai uses the same style electronic assistance, and Hyundai warranty pays less than a hour to swap the electric columns out... (I work for Hyundai (to make this relevant))

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:01 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Why can't you use the 2.4 eco head?

Because of the VVT. Our ECUs cannot support it.

Search for the "Freakotec" swap on here.

Error: Sig not found.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search