does synthetic motor oil go bad? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
does synthetic motor oil go bad?
Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:03 PM
Royal purple jugs are on clearance at meijer 21.99 I'm thinking i might just clear the shelf, but a lot of it will probably sit a while

Re: does synthetic motor oil go bad?
Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:20 PM
Pick up as much as u can.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:40 PM
Roofy wrote:Pick up as much as u can.

then burn it.....royal purple is junk

Friday, August 24, 2012 4:06 AM
EvoFire wrote:

Evidence?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, August 24, 2012 4:16 AM
Proof. Terrible results in my car. It can't take the heat.

Friday, August 24, 2012 4:34 AM
EvoFire wrote:

agreed... i had a lifter explode because of that stuff

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:09 AM
I personally have never used it, always been a fan of M1. But there are several people who swear by it, and at the price it is dirt cheap for any synthetic oil. i bought 2 10w30 and 3 5w30. Found another site claiming synthetic oil takes years to get "bad" primarily due to moisture.
Friday, August 24, 2012 11:25 AM
I read an article one time about how much better it is than any other oil. The article was 3 pages long, and at the end, the only real reason they could give was that it was purple and not tan. Serious. Overpriced crap IMO.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:19 AM
Destroyed my first turbo

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:29 AM
I've read it doesn't like turbo cars.

I'm currently trying it in my car because it was cheaper than M1. My car does use it at about 1/2 quart every 1,000 miles.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:39 PM
i just changed my name wrote:Royal purple jugs are on clearance at meijer 21.99 I'm thinking i might just clear the shelf, but a lot of it will probably sit a while

No. Just shake it up before you use it...

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg

Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:48 PM
That's because RP is a "true" synthetic (Red line/Amsoil are other examples)

It's too slipperly(if that's a word) for some modern engines and high pressure apps. Wouldn't use it in a Supercharged/turbo'd engine. It's best use is the older engines...

In those cases I'd stick with a good dino, blend, or well blended synthetic...

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Saturday, August 25, 2012 11:59 PM
over priced garbage

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:51 AM
Dave Z wrote:That's because RP is a "true" synthetic (Red line/Amsoil are other examples)

It's too slipperly(if that's a word) for some modern engines and high pressure apps. Wouldn't use it in a Supercharged/turbo'd engine. It's best use is the older engines...

In those cases I'd stick with a good dino, blend, or well blended synthetic...

this is good info, thanks. i wont be putting it in my turbo car. i will keep it for the vibe.
Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:09 AM
stir it dont shake it.
Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:44 AM
IV personally always ran Castrol 10w30 in mine...havnt had the 1st problem.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:47 PM
RP is good oil... but as stated doesn't like the heat.

It didn't do well in my Turbocharged engine. I've never seen a brand new engine eat oil the way mine did with RP in it. Switched to mobil for Sweetness and boom - oil loss cut 75%. Just gotta fix a phantom leak and the turbo itself and I'm golden.

If you're N/A and it's dirt cheap, get it. Even if you wanted to turn around and sell it on kijiji.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:43 PM
I run mobil 1 in my car.

I've been running Royal Purple motorcycle oil in my ZX6R for a little over 6k mile now. I'm thinking of switching to Ams Oil though.

Havnt had any problems but the bike does warm up a lot quicker making me think this heat thing has some truth to it.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:18 PM
I've put 1,500 miles so far using RP after tearing the engine down, cleaning the crap out of it, throwing in new gaskets, oil pump and timing assembly... no problems so far, no oil loss, no heating issues...

and yet you guys are making me second guess using it...

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:54 AM
Was the ONLY oil brand that lowered my oil level (burned). I would use Royal Purple oil for squeeky home door hinges.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:35 PM
Twenty4z wrote:I've put 1,500 miles so far using RP after tearing the engine down, cleaning the crap out of it, throwing in new gaskets, oil pump and timing assembly... no problems so far, no oil loss, no heating issues...

After a teardown or rebuild, I personally would go with a high moly dino oil like Pennzoil or Quaker State...even a synthetic won't give you that beautiful cushion of protection.

You can even give it a little extra gas...

Saturday, September 01, 2012 8:23 AM
Dave Z wrote:
Twenty4z wrote:I've put 1,500 miles so far using RP after tearing the engine down, cleaning the crap out of it, throwing in new gaskets, oil pump and timing assembly... no problems so far, no oil loss, no heating issues...

After a teardown or rebuild, I personally would go with a high moly dino oil like Pennzoil or Quaker State...even a synthetic won't give you that beautiful cushion of protection.

You can even give it a little extra gas...

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll switch to that on my next oil change.

I hardly go over 55....... ever. It's my baby and I treat it like one.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Saturday, September 08, 2012 5:29 PM
i used Royal Purple once and my cavalier Blew up by throwing a the timing cam!!!
i only use schaeffer 7000 oil! the best Ive used!
Saturday, September 08, 2012 8:07 PM
I have always run M1 but opted for Penzoil platinum on the last change I did cause autozone was offering a deal with the purchase of a bosch oil filter. Hopefully my engine doesn't blow up lol ('01 Z24)
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:05 PM
porter92 wrote:I have always run M1 but opted for Penzoil platinum on the last change I did cause autozone was offering a deal with the purchase of a bosch oil filter. Hopefully my engine doesn't blow up lol ('01 Z24)

Had no issues when I switched it from M1 to PP...oil will get darker quicker, but you'll be fine...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search