AWD subaru sunfire - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AWD subaru sunfire
Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:45 PM
I need everyones opinions. I have a 4dr sunfire that was given to me as a bday gift. Right now shes up on jack stands with all fuel and brake lines and brake components removed as well as the front clip(rust issues). Anyways long story short, I got thinking while she is up in the air that i would like to make her AWD. No the good part. I have done a little bit of research and found out that the subaru legacy is the closest to the dimensions of the sunfire. I have found one for 250 bucks. my question would be, do you think that it would work with the sunfire wiring. Body wise the only problem I think i might have is the firewall. I would have to bump it up in order to fit the tranny bellhousing in. But Im just a little conserned about the wiring. Any thoughts....

Re: AWD subaru sunfire
Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:07 PM
Pete monteith wrote: my question would be, do you think that it would work with the sunfire wiring.

no. not even close.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:09 PM
A guy did this with a Civic hatch. He cut both cars in half below the doors and welded the civic body(minus the floor) onto the WRX floor. Then he just wired it up as a WRX. To me that seems easier/simpler than trying to clearance and brace the Sunfire floor to accept a Subaru drivetrain and suspension.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:24 PM
I threw the idea around in my head once or twice. I was considering using a Jegsters RWD chassis kit and just retaining the FWD front suspention, mounts etc, the other 'Fun' part would be the Trans. Might be able to snag one out of the sister car to the new Regal. I has an AWD version and that transmission might be willing to have an Eco bolted to it. Then again, at that point I'd just buy a 5 year old Evo or Impreza would be much easier.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, August 26, 2012 5:51 PM
good points really I am thinking of taking all wiring out of the sunfire and putting the legacy wiring in. Also as for the tunnel/firewall I looked a little closer at the leg and the engine sits a little lower so I might not need to mod very much firewall. Also I have plenty of time to do this project so time consumption is endless. I just need more diagrams for the leg so that I can calculate everything as I dont have the leg as of yet. But I really do think that it would be sweet if I can make it work and still look like a stock sunfire. ok ok the body of the fire will also be modded of course. Im thinking a vader kit with sniper hood.. but conversion is first. any ideas for a new name for it. Im honestly pretty lame in that department. Im thinking of a sunleg or sunfiercy I know LAME lol.
Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:38 PM
Dont put a kit on it... kits are for kids.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:17 AM
Using all the legacy wiring is likely the way to go, but keep in mind doing so will mean your factory gauges, contorls etc.. will no longer work. A/C controls will be different (if that is even something your going to use).

FU Tuning

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:42 AM
dont need awd. ive seen plenty of j-bodies launch just as hard as any awd.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, August 27, 2012 8:19 AM
Throw away the Sunfire and buy a WRX
Monday, August 27, 2012 1:15 PM
I was thinking about going aftermarket for all the gauges and controls etc. as for dont need awd, I like awd and I like the sunfire. GM should have made an awd sunfire instead of the awd vibe, which is really a toyota matrix. I could go that way but the size difference is too much. Either way I will keep you guys posted on my progress and try to get pics. the whole process will be slow going right now as I need to get my donor car. Thanks again for the input.
Monday, August 27, 2012 2:36 PM
Do it man, wiring wont be hard, stuff the suby wiring, gauges, etc in the fire.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:01 PM
I will for sure.. I will let you guys know when I start.
Monday, August 27, 2012 4:05 PM
Why worry about the wiring harness? Build your own and run a Megasquirt. Probably cost under $500.

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:36 PM

idk man, it's really going to be easier to just buy a car that is made to be awd and roll with that.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:58 PM
James Cahill wrote:Why worry about the wiring harness? Build your own and run a Megasquirt. Probably cost under $500.

Why when you can get good engine mangement for subies. Piggybacks etc..

Plus yuou still have to deal with lights etc...

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:59 PM
I looked into using GM stuff. Some of the minivans have AWD (i think they're using a 4t45e trans).

But really, when you get real far into it..... why not just buy an AWD car and drive that?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:15 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:
James Cahill wrote:Why worry about the wiring harness? Build your own and run a Megasquirt. Probably cost under $500.

Point taken, but I still think building your own harness would be easier, considering all the splicing and length changes to a factory Subaru harness that would need to be done. You'd just about have to lengthen or shorten everything, or at least have coils of slack hanging around somewhere.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:21 PM
James Cahill wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

Point taken, but I still think building your own harness would be easier, considering all the splicing and length changes to a factory Subaru harness that would need to be done. You'd just about have to lengthen or shorten everything, or at least have coils of slack hanging around somewhere.

I totaly agree alot of cuting and splicing will be needed.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:34 PM
Bold prediction: this will never happen

Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:53 PM
J03Y wrote:Bold prediction: this will never happen

Agree

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:50 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:

piggybacks for wrx/sti are plentiful. if he's looking at an N/A motor though, you have MAYBE 1 piggyback option and i'm not sure if it's even still out there. opensource/flashing supports the newer dbw n/a cars but i'm guessing the op isn't looking at an 05+ drivetrain.

your biggest issue will be having room for the engine. the front diff is part of the trans meaning you'll have a squeeze to fit the motor between the centerline of wheel arches and the rad support.

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:38 PM
J03Y wrote:Bold prediction: this will never happen

not terribly bold.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, August 31, 2012 8:10 PM
Hmm... Never did think about that option. The Venture and it's sister models can be had in AWD. And after a few moments of research found they have the LA1 V-6 in them. One of the V-6 swappers on the site might be able to say weather that's a good option for a v-6 swap in the 3-gen J. Or, I could stop being lazy and do a few more seconds of research.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Friday, August 31, 2012 8:39 PM
or the awd out of a equinox. i have played with the idea of a 3800 sc and awd system out the the equinox or aztec. thing is your talking a complete custom subframe front and rear

Saturday, September 01, 2012 6:36 AM
the vue was awd and could be had with the ecotec as well... which would be another potential option.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search