Site Issues - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Site Issues
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:37 AM
Sometime yesterday afternoon we suffered a catastrophic failure with the web server. The site was up and down for much of the afternoon and went down for good later in the evening. Luckily no data was lost in the crash. We were able to transfer everything over to another server and mostly bring the site back up. I say mostly because some things might still be a bit haywire.

I am aware that post editing does not currently work. It might take some time to fix it. I'll post more when I have an update.

If you come across anything else that worked before and does not anymore, please PM me or post it here.

Thanks.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Site Issues
Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:54 AM
Does this mean that we need to look into upgrading the server in the near future?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:30 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Does this mean that we need to look into upgrading the server in the near future?

Yes it does. I have been planning on it for some time now. This failure bumps up the timeline though. I had hoped that server could last us just a bit longer. It really went above and beyond the call as it is. The machine celebrated its 10th birthday this year. In human years that's got to be at least 110+ years old.

This also brings up another thing I've never really pushed before. If you are on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ you can like/follow GME to get updates and let us know if there are any site outages. There are links in the very top right corner of every page, or...

http://www.facebook.com/GMEnthusiastNetwork
http://twitter.com/GMEnthusiast
https://plus.google.com/103692684050082120033

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:08 PM
I will donate where i can. is there a way to setup donations? is there a way to sell tshirts or stickers with little overhead that will still allow you to make money? i know most people (not premium) will want something in return for their efforts.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:58 PM
What specs do we need for a newish equipment? Im on some other sites and many of them work in IT and what not and could ask what they have or are getting rid of....

Give me something i can copy paste for them and Ill do it. worth a shot anyway.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:30 AM
I'm still in for donations

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 10:15 AM
Roofy wrote:I'm still in for donations

Same here, haven't gone premium since moving on to my Wrangler and 280Z but I'd love to help out. It's the least I could do for a site that has taught me an ungodly amount of stuff, both about cars and life

Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:17 PM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:Same here, haven't gone premium since moving on to my Wrangler and 280Z but I'd love to help out. It's the least I could do for a site that has taught me an ungodly amount of stuff, both about cars and life

Same here!

Friday, September 07, 2012 1:21 PM
I tried editing a post and error messages pop up. Just letting you know.

Friday, September 07, 2012 4:18 PM
JUCNBST wrote:I tried editing a post and error messages pop up. Just letting you know.

I know. I said it in the first post. I have no ETA on a fix for that yet.

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:25 PM
Post editing has been fixed. Thanks for your patience.

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:15 PM
my recent post on the right of the screen isnt updateing..it hasnt chagned for me on 3 different comps in 4+ hours

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:18 AM
EvoFire wrote:my recent post on the right of the screen isnt updateing..it hasnt chagned for me on 3 different comps in 4+ hours

Truth!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:27 AM
EvoFire wrote:I will donate where i can. is there a way to setup donations? is there a way to sell tshirts or stickers with little overhead that will still allow you to make money? i know most people (not premium) will want something in return for their efforts.

Im down to help with that.

Also local to you Dave so you can verify quality.

Can also handle fulfillment of orders

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:02 PM
EvoFire wrote:my recent post on the right of the screen isnt updateing..it hasnt chagned for me on 3 different comps in 4+ hours

Thanks for pointing that out. Its fixed now.

DSMskyline wrote:Im down to help with that.

PM me with what you can do.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:02 PM
PM'd... Hope it works out for all of us.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:47 AM
I've got some spare computer parts lying around, mostly ide hard drives and ram sticks though. If you need hardware, send me a pm and I'll see what I can dredge up.
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:36 PM
Starbreaker wrote:I've got some spare computer parts lying around, mostly ide hard drives and ram sticks though. If you need hardware, send me a pm and I'll see what I can dredge up.
unfortunately, most standard computer components won't work in the server. I know we run off SCSI hard drives. I'm not sure what type of ram the current server runs off of, but i don't recall ram being an issue since we upgraded to acidburn's server...

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:51 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:unfortunately, most standard computer components won't work in the server. I know we run off SCSI hard drives. I'm not sure what type of ram the current server runs off of, but i don't recall ram being an issue since we upgraded to acidburn's server...

The server we are running on now is a Dell PowerEdge. You are correct that it requires server-class components - ECC registered RAM, U320 SCSI hard drives. Besides, I have spare components for it in case of a failure. What we need is a whole new server. And I don't mess with consumer-class stuff. A consumer PC would not have lasted 10 years of constant uptime and abuse. It is definitely worth the extra expense when it comes to reliability and longevity. The extra investment pays off in the long run.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search