Pontiac Vs. Chevy - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Pontiac Vs. Chevy
Friday, September 28, 2012 6:49 PM
is it that they were just intended to be a better built car? The pontiacs i mean...perhaps it was a canadian thing i dunno.
In stripping apart this 97 sunfire GT it just seems like they cared more or somethin lol...i mean all the foam padding between interior parts , can just imagine a rattle free bump being gone over...the plastic on the doors wasnt held on with that black tar looking stuff..there was an extra layer next to the PW motor..there were lil like pleats in it where ever wires went. Lumbar adjustment option...steering wheel controls for radio.....
Were both built by like the same groups of people or was there a seperate pon/chev crew?
Really wish they had kept pontiac and got rid of buick instead ...old ppl and basketball players who prolly dont actually own one can drive caddys or ...Volts!...
:Rant off

Re: Pontiac Vs. Chevy
Saturday, September 29, 2012 6:22 AM
J-Body FAQ wrote:What are the differences between a Cavalier and a Sunfire?

The main differences are the exterior and interior styling. The main body of the two cars is virtually identical, right down to the frame. There is a distinct difference in the rear quarter panel and tail end sheet metal between the Cavalier and Sunfire coupes, but the sedans are identical. The mechanical equipment remains the same for both cars, and both cars have essentially the same equipment available.

To GM, the Cavalier is positioned as the more "value-based" car, while the Sunfire is seen as the more "performance-based" car. It is because of this that the Sunfire receives things such as more sound-deadening material and thicker padding in the dash and seats. Some minor options, such as courtesy lights and assist straps are only found on the Sunfire. Also, the Sunfire GT receives a dual-muffler exhaust system, while the Z24 does not.

According to a phobia list member who works at the Lordstown plant, the Sunfire also receives slightly higher-quality materials than the Cavalier does. For example, bumpers on the Cavalier are made from cheaper thermoplastic olefin (TPO) while the Sunfire receives reinforced injected molded plastic (RIM) bumpers.

From the FAQ.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 8:49 AM
So same people just more better stuff....shoulda just made a 4door cav and a sunfire GT and been done with it.....prolly woulda saved enuff over the ten years not to go bankrupt in 08 sheesh......
Have always preferred pontiacs , owned the same 78 granprix like 4 times , fastest thing ive personally owned was an 85 transam 383 TPI motor <early 90's when gas was cheap heh>. was sort of impressed when i got into this Z but now seeing what the GT is.....the rear quarters alone make me wanna put a for sale sign on mine and look for a GT lol.

Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:05 AM
when the js we being produced those were gms profitable years where sh*t hit the fan was when they scraped the 2 j bodies and made
aveo
epica
optra
cobalt
prisuit (g5)
wave (g3)

you scrap 2 cars and make 6 that was the start of it then with the eccomey being sh*t that doesn't help

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:02 AM
They're both @!#$ boxes.
Sunday, October 07, 2012 7:26 PM
^^ But it's MY @!#$ box. Besides, all the groans and moans and rattles and squeaks just means she's talking to me. letting me know she's still a happy chevy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search