What do you hate about the Js? - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What do you hate about the Js?
Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:14 PM
the window motors. i seriously @!#$ hate those things. other than that my car has been a dream for me. HONESTLY. the fuel pump died a little while ago, but other than that and some bad window motors this car has been fantastic to me, and i put it through alot of abuse. pushin up and over 115,000 miles. honestly could'nt be happier with the car.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:14 PM
and one more part. i found a turbo kit for the car, and advertised 170whp. Really? 170? dude i could drop a load with more power thanthat

z yaaaa wrote:other than the nasty hood dent, steelies, 4X4 ride heidt, crooked front license plate, body color b pillar covers, 2200, lack of tint, and overall boringness of the car id say she's perfect!

Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:24 PM
you drive a 2.2. you should be thrilled to be putting out that kinda power.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:32 PM
but when you've driven LS1 camaros. c5-z06 vettes, even my 89 dodge spirit had twice the power 170 is very very little

z yaaaa wrote:other than the nasty hood dent, steelies, 4X4 ride heidt, crooked front license plate, body color b pillar covers, 2200, lack of tint, and overall boringness of the car id say she's perfect!

Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:35 PM
I bought my 98Z with 170000 km on it, now its at 230000 km and have since replaced a wheel bearing, and transmission (this doesnt count tho, it was my fault, bad clutch decision and it ate my tranny), and then some minor coolant leaks. This car has been great, and i drive the living piss out of the thing lol

that being said....

the location of the 96-99 cupholders -.-
tranny fluid fill location on the isuzu 5 speed
a spring in my seat the popped and has been diggin into my back for a year
the retarded din and a half sizing on the 96-99 stereo
the door seals that dont quite reach all the way.... theres like an inch gap on the bottom and it gives me a good amount of noise on the freeway... and it came like that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:38 PM

Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:37 PM
Red2.2cavi wrote:but when you've driven LS1 camaros. c5-z06 vettes, even my 89 dodge spirit had twice the power 170 is very very little

respect it for the grocery getter it is or buy another car then. if you want to make power out of that car you know what you have to do you've been around long enough.

Monday, June 07, 2010 12:34 AM
blucavvy wrote:
Red2.2cavi wrote:but when you've driven LS1 camaros. c5-z06 vettes, even my 89 dodge spirit had twice the power 170 is very very little

respect it for the grocery getter it is or buy another car then. if you want to make power out of that car you know what you have to do you've been around long enough.

i do respect the grocery getter, i just wish it had a little more kick to it. again my dodge, more of a grocery getter, had twice the power. my truck, which was a grocery getter had twice the power. he asked what the complaints of the car was. mine is, it should've came with more power

Monday, June 07, 2010 8:02 AM
Red2.2cavi wrote:
blucavvy wrote:

i do respect the grocery getter, i just wish it had a little more kick to it. again my dodge, more of a grocery getter, had twice the power. my truck, which was a grocery getter had twice the power. he asked what the complaints of the car was. mine is, it should've came with more power

Then you should have bought a z24?

I hate people who own cavaliers/sunfires/J;s and come on the J site spewwing "omfg I hate this!" - then compare it to the likes of corvettes and camaros and have the nerve to say "no power" lmao.

For ITS CLASS... you cant beat beat.. I dont care what you say.. to any other car comparable in the cavaliers class of vehicle.. its the best.

A car is what you make of it, you drive the @!#$ out of it, never maintain it, and act like do stupid crap, its going to fail. A POS driver drives a POS car. Simple.

Yes there is obvious things we all go "why wouldnt they have done this or that" but I mean all in all, my cav has been so good too me (knock of wood ) and I cant complain at all. All cars have qwirks and crap, but thats what gives them personality
Monday, June 07, 2010 8:47 AM
Other than the dash cracks, my sister's '02 broke a cam sensor wire (yes, bizarre), and my '00 has an annoying clunking problem. My '96 needed an alternator and a starter, but no dash cracks. All-in-all, that's pretty impressive since they're considered "throw-away" cars.

Maybe you should stop bitching and get to work then? If the turbo "kit" doesn't do what you want, then stop being a pussy and do something about it.

In their day, the J's were the fastest in their class(that I can think of, not sure about the Sentra), so I don't think that complaining about the power makes much sense.

I think the seats are quite comfortable compared to just about any other car I've been in (especially from GM).
Things that bug me:
- Not being about to check fluid level on 4T40e trans
- ECU location for '02 (blocks oil filter access for 2200)
- cruise controller location (same as above)
- coil pack location for 97- 2.2L
- lower engine support blocks oil pan removal
- LN2 exhaust flex pipe right under oil filter
- rear drum brakes
- cup holder locations
- early 3g stereos (2000+ are quite nice)
- TRUNK DENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, June 07, 2010 9:22 AM
I hate alot of things about the cars, but really...I've changed pretty well everything I dislike about them, so really....can't complain about it too much.
I've never had any major problems with them, and I've had my fair share, from 91 all the way to 03. To say it's a pos car....yes....that it is, but it's my pos car, and I actually have grown to like it quite a bit.

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Monday, June 07, 2010 9:34 AM
one thing i absolutely hate about my manual window z24 is the fact that gm placed the @!#$ crank RIGHT where your knee sits so its unbelievably annoying.

the fact that the trunk carpet NEVER stays behind the weatherstripping.

when the door latch freezes up and it wont latch without you totally messing with it for hours. and the POS driver side door hinges that let the door sag over time.

the @!#$ty stock stereo wiring. wont support an aftermarket deck for @!#$.

no 'shreader valve' on the LD9's fuel lines.

tan interior.

and lastly.....THE @!#$ SEAT BELTS!!!! I HATE THOSE NECK GRINDING SOB'S AND THE STUPID SEAT RETAINERS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 07, 2010 9:37 AM

180hp in 1989 or 145hp in 2002, you decide. >

Monday, June 07, 2010 11:56 AM
Blair Gray wrote:
Red2.2cavi wrote:
blucavvy wrote:

Then you should have bought a z24?

I hate people who own cavaliers/sunfires/J;s and come on the J site spewwing "omfg I hate this!" - then compare it to the likes of corvettes and camaros and have the nerve to say "no power" lmao.

For ITS CLASS... you cant beat beat.. I dont care what you say.. to any other car comparable in the cavaliers class of vehicle.. its the best.

A car is what you make of it, you drive the @!#$ out of it, never maintain it, and act like do stupid crap, its going to fail. A POS driver drives a POS car. Simple.

Yes there is obvious things we all go "why wouldnt they have done this or that" but I mean all in all, my cav has been so good too me (knock of wood ) and I cant complain at all. All cars have qwirks and crap, but thats what gives them personality

even still the z24 isn't that much of a power house. they still run what high 15s? and i drive the @!#$ out of it, i also maintain it. oil change overy 3-4 thousand. everything. i may drive like a jack ass, but the car should be able to handle it

Monday, June 07, 2010 11:58 AM
OHV notec wrote:Other than the dash cracks, my sister's '02 broke a cam sensor wire (yes, bizarre), and my '00 has an annoying clunking problem. My '96 needed an alternator and a starter, but no dash cracks. All-in-all, that's pretty impressive since they're considered "throw-away" cars.

Maybe you should stop bitching and get to work then? If the turbo "kit" doesn't do what you want, then stop being a pussy and do something about it.

In their day, the J's were the fastest in their class(that I can think of, not sure about the Sentra), so I don't think that complaining about the power makes much sense.

I think the seats are quite comfortable compared to just about any other car I've been in (especially from GM).
Things that bug me:
- Not being about to check fluid level on 4T40e trans
- ECU location for '02 (blocks oil filter access for 2200)
- cruise controller location (same as above)
- coil pack location for 97- 2.2L
- lower engine support blocks oil pan removal
- LN2 exhaust flex pipe right under oil filter
- rear drum brakes
- cup holder locations
- early 3g stereos (2000+ are quite nice)
- TRUNK DENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am doing something about it. once i get out of basic, im selling this POS and buying something that will have power. even stock will have power.

Monday, June 07, 2010 12:20 PM
ya this post is annoying. why bitch? trade it in, push it over a cliff and go bitch about some other car......

ROLL IT TOPLESS!!
Monday, June 07, 2010 12:27 PM
blue02zee24 wrote:My only complaint... is the rear brakes,i mean if those drums even smell water they want to lock up.
Nothing more annoying to me than that. Cant wait to swap in the neon brakes i just bought a few days ago

Blame that to the 61%F/39%R weight distribution. Wet drum brakes does not know the meaning of stop. Adding rear discs and being that they work in the wet, will only amplify what you're complaining. Remember, ABS is only triggered when there is a lack of traction.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, June 07, 2010 12:57 PM
In no particular order:
Non independent rear suspension
Ugly as sin
Rear drums on all trim levels
The dash crack
Pathetic traction
No traction contol (at least my 5 spd doesn't have it, my mom's pos did)
Front wheel drive
Did I metion rear drum brakes and a retarded rear suspenion design?
Seats are too soft and don't have large enough bolsters
Unless you have a special wench it a bit of a pain to get the oil filter on the ecotec
Retarded computer, called by my friend who specilizes in tuning GM's with HPT, "the worse OBDII computer GM ever made, I mean using alpha-n on a non ITB street car, that's just retarded"

One of the few pluses:
HPTuners support

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, June 07, 2010 1:10 PM
My car has 58k miles on the odo, and is on it's second motor, 3rd starter, 2nd alternator, 3rd battery. 3rd thermostat... lol

All of the above -> basically self inflicted, my turbo ate my alternator, which killed my battery & starter a few times over....my car has been through a lot.

Im in the midst of replacing a pass side window regulator/motor & I think I need to replace my cooling fan and she still needs a little more tuning up after 2 years sitting..

I still love it, and it still gets me to work every day..

What I don't like about J's i general: The dash crack & the 2 or so inches of play the bucket seats have on the back part.

The car is what it is, if I didn't want cheap squeaky interior or very basic seats and a not so high tech guage cluster... I wouldnt have purchased an econo box.

You can't get a 50k$ car's quality in a 15k$ car. If you expect that, then you are retarded.

Monday, June 07, 2010 2:04 PM
yeah my tuner called the 2000 LD9 computer ancient and very basic compared to the newer LSJ computers he usually HPTunes

Monday, June 07, 2010 2:11 PM
I know its been said already, but what do I hate about Jbodies?

The people who own them.

/thread

Monday, June 07, 2010 4:49 PM
I have to admit I do really like my cavalier for what it is: a fuel efficient car with decent acceleration and cheap replacement parts. I have noticed a lot of people have delusions of grandeur when it comes to their J (i had some knucklehead in autozone today tell me hes got a 96 z24 supercharged at 305hp, I couldnt help laughing) but I think anyone with half a brain understands that cars have their limits. $15k in 1996 got you a top notch cavalier, for its time. $15k today gets you more, not just GM, but all manufacturers. I use the term "more" lightly; more today could be a smaller engine that delivers the same HP and performance our larger engines get, or it could just be flashy interior plastic and a shiny coat of paint. Automakers understand this; that they need to at least give the perception of giving you more. Perfect example, the Cobalt. When GM realized that the Cavalier was getting dated, they had options:

1. Continue running the Cavalier. This was probably a bad idea, because the foreign market was beating the piss out of them, as far as the econo-boxes went
2. Make a whole new compact entirely. This was what they should have done (in my opinion). Make more options at every level. Turn Honda and Toyotas plan against them. Make a compact sporty car that could rival Nissan's Sentra SE-R, Honda's Civic Si and Dodge's Neon SRT-4. ANYTHING that would make someone in that market consider GM.
3. The horrible truth: GM takes the same J body and Eco from the Cav, wraps it up with newish, modern plastic and call it a Cobalt.

Honestly, Im not sure how well the Cobalt did in its 5 year run, but everyone I know who has one hates it (mostly because they paid full price for a Cavalier with a few extra buttons and trim panels). I think its safe to say they dropped the ball here. I wish they went with option 2, but of course, that would mean they learned from their mistakes of the Cavalier. Instead, they let the dust gather on what today is their last hail mary, and opted to keep making huge SUVs in a market that was already flooded with SUVs for every budget. Times have changed, and all I know is if Chevy f***s up with the Cruze, Volt and Equinox, they are gonna be right behind BP in Washington asking for a bailout.

Woosh, off topic a bit. Respect your J for what it is. I love mine, not because its the latest and greatest, but after you put some time in fixing and maintaining, the positive aspects of the car stand out more than the negative.

Monday, June 07, 2010 4:55 PM
rbs9009 wrote:1. Continue running the Cavalier. This was probably a bad idea, because the foreign market was beating the piss out of them, as far as the econo-boxes went
2. Make a whole new compact entirely. This was what they should have done (in my opinion). Make more options at every level. Turn Honda and Toyotas plan against them. Make a compact sporty car that could rival Nissan's Sentra SE-R, Honda's Civic Si and Dodge's Neon SRT-4. ANYTHING that would make someone in that market consider GM.
3. The horrible truth: GM takes the same J body and Eco from the Cav, wraps it up with newish, modern plastic and call it a Cobalt.

Uhm... The cobalt is a delta body, not a j-body. the first delta was a saturn ion, released in 2000 (5 years before the end of the J run) and had the 2.2 twin cam in it (As we all know now as an "ecotec"

The j body had to end in 2005, there is no way it would pass the new side impact standards imposed in 2006.

I do agree with you... GM has lost their way.... a lot... this is why my next car will be a Hyundai... and not just because i work for em

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 07, 2010 4:56 PM

Monday, June 07, 2010 6:23 PM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:
rbs9009 wrote:

I do agree with you... GM has lost their way.... a lot... this is why my next car will be a Hyundai... and not just because i work for em

I hear that. I really like what Ive seen and heard of the new Sonata in particular. Double so when the 2.0T comes out. 274 hp turbo FTW.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, June 07, 2010 6:27 PM
I love my Cavy. Seriously.
And I've never had anything break since most of the time it's replaced before it has time to go out or bad.
So really, I can't complain.

I'm still in love with the car since day one and have seen the transformation of what I envisioned come to fruition.
It's been an excellent project build that's nearing its climax.
I'll always be a Cavy fan but that doesn't mean I'm a Chevy fan for life either.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, June 07, 2010 7:06 PM
Misnblu wrote:I love my Cavy. Seriously.
And I've never had anything break since most of the time it's replaced before it has time to go out or bad.
So really, I can't complain.

I'm still in love with the car since day one and have seen the transformation of what I envisioned come to fruition.
It's been an excellent project build that's nearing its climax.
I'll always be a Cavy fan but that doesn't mean I'm a Chevy fan for life either.

Now there's the important stuff, right there....

Monday, June 07, 2010 9:27 PM
z yaaaa wrote:one thing i absolutely hate about my manual window z24 is the fact that gm placed the @!#$ crank RIGHT where your knee sits so its unbelievably annoying.

the fact that the trunk carpet NEVER stays behind the weatherstripping.

when the door latch freezes up and it wont latch without you totally messing with it for hours. and the POS driver side door hinges that let the door sag over time.

the @!#$ty stock stereo wiring. wont support an aftermarket deck for @!#$.

no 'shreader valve' on the LD9's fuel lines.

tan interior.

and lastly.....THE @!#$ SEAT BELTS!!!! I HATE THOSE NECK GRINDING SOB'S AND THE STUPID SEAT RETAINERS!!!!

lmao thats why i have 4 seat belt tickets with my cav

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search