Electric Supercharger Testing! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Electric Supercharger Testing!
Sunday, March 31, 2013 9:23 AM
Hey everyone! I was trying to decide where to put this. It may belong in the boost forum... but then again, it might not make any boost.

Same goes for the performance forum. It might or might not add any performance.

In the end, I think you'll all get a kick out of this and if it works, I'm sure there's a lot of people who drop by here who will be interested.

So we've all had a good laugh every time someone comes along trying to hawk some new electric turbo kit, and we've seen plenty of noobs burned at the stake for asking whether they should put one on their cars.

For years now, I've been the premier source on the Internet (Google it!) for information on why you should avoid this crap and how the scams work.

Well... something might have changed! Or maybe not. To be fair, I don't know yet, but there's a guy working on a kit that actually seems promising and he's sending a unit out to me for testing. I'll be writing about it as I go through the steps, so drop by my site and have a gander if you're interested. Depending on the interest, I'll might transfer the updates to my blog to open up comments to the world.

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eTurbo.aspx

So stay tuned. The end result is going to either be quite informative, or very amusing.

Re: Electric Supercharger Testing!
Sunday, March 31, 2013 10:39 AM
You again?... Haven't seen you here in ages.

Sunday, March 31, 2013 12:24 PM
I just hope it doesn't mess up your ride. I'll stay tuned. Good to see your still around here.
Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:25 PM
Yeah, I'm still kickin'. I post in the old school check in a few times a year. heh.

One of my biggest concerns with these electric boost systems is the possibility of the whole thing just coming apart and feeding itself to your engine. In this case, it's actually built from a proper turbo so there's no concern there. It's not some bilge blower crap. That's what's got me intrigued. In theory, so long as the motors can keep up, it should provide some value. If I have any suspicions whatsoever of it coming apart and wrecking my engine, I won't be putting it on the car.

We'll see, one way or the other. I've been making fun of these guys for so long it's actually quite refreshing for something to come along that I can't just rip apart with 5 minutes of discussion.

Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:47 PM
The problem with 99.9% of them is that you need a retarded amount of amperage to make any kind of pressure. Sure it can be a great compressor wheel and everything but unless you have 2 alternators and 15 batteries in the trunk it's not happening. I know you already know that, but just putting it out there again. Sub'd for updates.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:49 PM
I had a friend convinced for a while that the new dodges with cummins motors used electric motor turbos... actually im not sure if he ever figured it out or not.. I don't remember telling him the truth... hmm...

Have a nice day.
Monday, April 01, 2013 5:51 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:The problem with 99.9% of them is that you need a retarded amount of amperage to make any kind of pressure. Sure it can be a great compressor wheel and everything but unless you have 2 alternators and 15 batteries in the trunk it's not happening. I know you already know that, but just putting it out there again. Sub'd for updates.

I've been fighting the good fight on this stuff for years. In the past you'd have been absolutely correct... and you may still be. Technology has been advancing over the past few years though, especially when it comes to batteries. I imagine it's a side effect from all the effort that's gone into developing hybrids and what not.

As I'll be installing it, there will be 3 batteries. One to run the car, and I believe the other two are combined to provide 24 volts to the electric motor running the blower. I'm told there's about a 7:1 charging ratio so if it I use a minute of boost, there's probably 7 minutes needed to recharge.

The important bit would be how much boost it would provide before being discharged. To be sure... how much time does anyone spend driving around at WOT? Only a few seconds at a time, really. Unlike a regular blower, this won't provide any boost at all until you get near to WOT. I'm actually quite curious as to how that's going to feel. It may be the oddest turbo-lag feeling ever, but in an entertaining way.

My setup won't have a throttle switch as I'm just looking to test for boost. I'm going to have a manual switch to turn it on, which is obviously not how you'd install it permanently but will work for the testing.

Monday, April 01, 2013 5:32 PM
Uh, April Fools?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:39 AM
LOL. Hi Dave!!

Though this may end up great for a laugh, the testing is totally legit. Note that I started this thread in March...

Once the stuff shows up, I'll start posting pics on my site.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 5:48 AM
Wow... things really are quiet here these days eh? I was really expecting more interest out of this or perhaps a bit of a flame war.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 6:50 AM
Coming from someone that has a Throttle body spacer ( just for that lil whistle ) i'd say its because in logic it seems to be a real waste of time. Plus, i laugh but one day while at a car show, for burnouts and what not.. this young kid had it on his souped up civic, and right there it made me laugh, nuff said.

Thursday, April 04, 2013 8:40 AM
Well... the problem is usually that in logic, it all seems to make great sense but in reality it never works.

If it worked as per the logic, then it shouldn't be a waste of time, and that's what the scammers prey on.

It's going to be a while yet before it can come remotely close to replacing a proper supercharger or turbo, but if it works enough to provide boost at WOT for over 30 seconds at a time, people will get some good fun out of it.

I just have yet to see something that can actually do this. Hence the testing... maybe this is the one? Only one way to find out without people being screwed out of their hard-earned cash.

Friday, April 05, 2013 6:42 AM
Parts showed up. I'll try to post some pics over the weekend, though I'm pretty tied up this weekend.

Initial reaction is that it's not obviously garbage... so that's a huge relief. It all looks quite well made, actually, though this doesn't mean it's gonna work. We'll see.

Friday, April 05, 2013 8:43 AM
Im no genius obviously, but in my mind the ideal amount of space that this charger takes, vs the amoutn of "psi" it may or may not push doesnt equal enough to make power, hence by a turbo or supercharger pushing what? i mean the m45 ranges around 50hp BALL PARKED. :S iunno, def in for a good laugh.. i mean updates GL Wild
Friday, April 05, 2013 10:51 AM
Please. Call me Weasel. Wild was my father...

As for space... it's not taking up much. It's basically a small turbo with an electric motor in place of the turbine half. It's not big at all. The fact that I can fit it in even with my m45 there speaks to how easy it should be to install in most cars. The batteries he sent me are actually quite clever. I'll have to figure a way to strap them down to the battery tray, but there's 3 of them in total and together they look only slightly bigger than a stock battery. The three are identical, with one of them providing 12V to run the car and the other two tied together in series to produce 24V for the blower. There's a control box that manages the charging for that pair as well as the running of the motor.

If I recall correctly, the GM blower was making around 5 lbs of boost in stock form. Mine currently makes around 7 or 8, though I can't remember which pulley I've got on it at the moment. So if 5 lbs made 50 hp, let's imagine that this thing can produce 4-5 lbs. If it can add 30hp on demand, wouldn't that be worth the effort?

Think of it like a self-refilling nitrous kit. It's not gonna make the engine seem larger by acting at all times like a regular turbo or supercharger, but a 30 hp boost when you want it should be immediately noticeable.

Am I making sense?

Now... I swear to God... if I ever see any of my words repeated as arguments for one of the million fraudsters out there, I'm probably gonna go ape-@!#$ and burn their warehouse down. ALL of this is based on the idea of having something that actually WORKS, which none of us have ever come across before.

Sunday, April 07, 2013 10:54 AM
Hey guys...

Just a quick update. The parts arrived so I've posted up some pics. I also moved the testing story to its own page so as not to clutter up my existing scam-debunking page. See the updates here: http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturboTest.aspx

And let the speculation begin!

Monday, April 08, 2013 12:06 AM
Definitely interesting!!! I'll keep looking forupdates

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, April 08, 2013 7:43 AM
I can't help but think this would have been much more fun here 6 years ago or so.

I actually read through some of the older threads here about this and we had some good times!!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:05 PM
hmmm so you're planning on putting this in series with the m45 then?

this better work cuz it'd be neat to have another 30whp out of my m45 setup without using nitrous....

although, now thinking deeper into it, i would think the electric housing would create a flow hindrance for the actual m45 during the times you wouldnt be using it. so how could you fix that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:29 PM

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:11 PM
Drop the auto, should be good for around 30whp.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:02 PM
Well... for the test, I'll be disabling the m45 by tying open the bypass on it. I'm sure I'll end up doing a test with both working in series, but let's be honest here. That's not really testing anything of value. It's really just for fun. If you want more boost, just get a smaller pulley. This is hardly a reasonable application for one of these.

We talked quite a bit on the Mazda form about restriction and what not. The bottom line is that there will be some restriction when it's not running, but so long as it's available to run when you want it to, that restriction becomes completely irrelevant. It's like suggesting that your throttle body is causing a restriction when you're not at WOT. It's true. It just doesn't matter.

For more information on that, here's a link to the 3-page discussion on the Toronto Mazda3 Forum.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?70082-Installing-Electric-Supercharger!!-)

If you've still got questions, by all means post them here. I'm checking often.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:16 PM
lol i CANT do any more pulley's man. i just machined the snout for a 2.4" and already have the oversized crank pulley.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:05 PM
Something I am unclear about. If you open the bypass that wouldn't bypass the incoming air of the electric one as well?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:49 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:lol i CANT do any more pulley's man. i just machined the snout for a 2.4" and already have the oversized crank pulley.

Ah! What sort of boost are you pushing now? I expect that if you're already getting 10 psi or so, putting one of these in series wouldn't be of any value and would only provide a restriction. Ultimately, you need this thing to be able to force in more air than the engine is consuming on it's own and if it's already consuming the equivalent of a 3.8L engine, it may not be possible. Of course... you could use a bigger one and maybe get what you're looking for... but that story is gonna come a wee bit later.

Oedwards wrote:Something I am unclear about. If you open the bypass that wouldn't bypass the incoming air of the electric one as well?

Nope. The bypass is between the TB and the intake manifold. This blower is on the other side of the TB, so everything is still sealed up between the electric blower and the intake manifold. There shouldn't be any issues where.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:18 PM
Got a present in the mail last night.

Check out my site for the update: http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturboTest.aspx

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search