Suggestions? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Suggestions?
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 11:44 AM
So I'm wondering to what to get next, I'm a type of person that can't make up their mind....only modification I did is a short ram air intake, and shaved emblems along with clear HVAC knobs...but here's my car: 124,600 miles and 2002 2.2L.
Attachments
image.jpg (1909k)

Re: Suggestions?
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 11:45 AM
And I can't post a photo of my car because apparently the site won't upload my hoot because it's too big -.-
Wednesday, December 04, 2013 11:47 AM
Here it is
Attachments
image.jpg (324k)

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 1:29 PM
Wheels, lowering springs/shocks.

Will make the car look a lot better and be more fun to drive.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Thursday, December 05, 2013 6:07 PM
I'm planning to get wheels for sure in the spring but not right now because of snow >_< any other suggestions?
Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:11 PM
Don't worry about looks, focus on those things that will make your car more fun to drive.

Search your local junkyards or find someone online that has cheap OEM strut tower braces. They came stock on convertibles. You should be able to get one for next to nothing. Next look into a rear sway bar. Those two mods combined will actually make your car a whole lot easier to take into turns.

You didn't specify if your car is auto or manual. If it is the latter, look into a short throw shifter.

If you enjoy good tunes, consider upgrading your audio. Stock speakers are junk. Find some aftermarket speakers you like, and if you can afford it, a new head unit, amp and wiring go a long way.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, December 05, 2013 8:13 PM
It's an automatic good sir. And I'm deaf in both ears with cochlear implants so I'm sure I won't notice a difference in the new speakers and such haha but I'll look into those two mods, thanks Dave! I'm always looking for low end power also, not speed because I already got caught speeding.
Sunday, December 08, 2013 9:43 PM
Dave: you know, my 6x9s in my Z are still hitting as hard and as clear as when i bought the car... but the 4x6s in the door are straight junk.

I will agree though 99% of the time, stock speakers suck.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:50 AM
Whats your budget like? I am very happy with my Sportline's/koni's even with the tall 205/75/14 winter tires on it now, the car handles great. Id also ditch the spectra filter and invest in a K&N or AEM filter. I think B&M has a shift kit or something for the autos too.... You don't have to upgrade right away but once brakes are worn out, you could upgrade with Hawk/Powerslots.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:20 PM
Wheels: check. Couldn't pass these up, $100 and thread is like 90%. Only downside is they're covered with plastidip that's pretty messed up..
Attachments
image.jpg (1711k)

Sunday, December 22, 2013 2:48 PM
Lowering is definitely a great mod. Not only will the car handle better, but it will also look better. I had a 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan that was lowered on KYB AGX adjustable shocks and struts and Eibach Pro Kit 1.4" lowering springs. This is a very popular setup around here. It's pretty cheap as far as suspension setups go and it gives a decent drop without being too harsh of a ride.

Tinted windows are another thing that are not too expensive and will really change the look of a car. I have the windows on my 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT tinted 35% all around. 35% is the ideal tint IMO. It's dark enough to look good and serve it's purposes, but not too dark that it will inhibit your vision or draw unwanted attention.

Color matched outer mirrors and door handles always look nice. Having a body shop do it wouldn't be too expensive. Many members here have done it themselves with spray paint and had great results.

I would remove the side moldings. It will really clean up and smooth out the sides of your Cavalier. Just like the badges, the side moldings are held on with double sided tape.

Upgrading your lighting is another thing you can do. Some nice LED bulbs for the reverse lights, license plate light and interior lights. Some upgraded headlight bulbs. Maybe some clear turn signal housings with some Stealth Auto chrome amber bulbs.

Since you have a Sedan, one totally free thing you can do is to remove the stoppers for the rear windows so they will go all the way down.

These are all pretty much things I had done to my former Sunfires and things I would do if I ever own a J again. What you do is ultimately up to you since it's your car and you are the one who has to drive it and look at it everyday . Just have fun with it and whatever you do, don't skimp on parts. Check out the Classifieds on here for good used parts or save up for quality parts, especially big things like the suspension.

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:27 PM
Man you gave me a few great ideas. And I will definitely want to lower it after I put my new wheels on in the spring, what's a good, but CHEAP lowering kit? Perhaps an amazon link or such..and can you tint the windows yourself? Is it too hard or? Also what kind of paint do you use for the mirrors/handles? And the reason I haven't removed my side moldings because there's always morons that keeps opening their doors into mine. Also, is the LED is plug and play? Never had good luck with soldering so I tend to stay far, far away. Sorry for all the question, I tend to talk too much lol.
Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:34 PM
Also, I already replaced my headlight bulbs with zXe's, which is bright as hell.
Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:50 PM
Do you have an image from inside the car what the headlights look like at night. I hate these stupid headlights, they are useless and I'm looking for an alternative without being an idiot and putting HIDs in.

Also, don't bother trying to tint your own windows, while it may seen easy, it's not fun. That's something I would honestly pay the $200 to get done.

As far as lowering, save up for it. Don't hastily purchase some cheap eBay coilovers. Do what the above person mention and buy something like the Kyb agx's and the Eibach prokit. Or something along those lines. Max you will spend on our cars lowering is like $1200. So don't freight on it being too expensive. Be patient and scour the classifieds. You can usually pick up a used set for $400-$500.
Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:56 PM
$1200? Meh, I rather drop that money into some supercharger that I'm planning to drop in eventually & really? I heard it was easy and some say it's hard...& here's one, and it's on low beam. They're expensive but well worth it to me. Might wanna check your bulbs too, when I replaced mine, the bulbs were from 1998, obviously the old owner is an idiot when my car is a 2002.
Attachments
image.jpg (1390k)

Sunday, December 22, 2013 11:01 PM
Yea, way back in the day I tinted my civic. The side windows went on okay, and I got confident to do the rear window and that's when all hell broke loose. It takes a lot of time and patience.

Whoa, those headlights look super bright. Happen to remember how much they were? And where you picked them up from?
Monday, December 23, 2013 4:44 PM
They look pretty bright because I was driving in the sn
Monday, December 23, 2013 4:45 PM
Snow that day and if I remember correctly, It was 59.99 at Walmart.
Monday, December 23, 2013 4:48 PM
I helped a friend tint a rear window of a toyota pickup but it was out of the truck, it wasn't too bad but have to be patient , Id do side windows but I would not be confident enough to do the rear window inside the car. I've seen many windows that have bubbles all over the rear window, IMO that made the car look worse. You could probably lower the car for less than $1200, he just said up to $1200. I got used koni reds and sportlines with strut mounts, etc for less than $200 including buying new bushings for rear shocks. keep your eye out for deals. Its nice having a fast(boosted) car but I'd rather it be able to take a corner and handle better first IMO.

Those headlights look good too, I may have to look at readjusting my head lights cause they suck too even after new bulbs, my sportlines lowered my front .25"more lower than rear too so that might of aimed them down even more. Those bulbs are sylvania zxe and they are about $60 or so at Canadian Tire

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:14 PM
$200? Now you got my attention. Only problem is, my area within 100 miles radius, the Jbody's scene is dead, and no cool parts to get anywhere either.
Monday, December 23, 2013 8:15 PM
And it's pretty easy to adjust the headlights, I think it uses a star pattern type of bolt, not quite sure

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:20 PM
Austen Kopp wrote:Man you gave me a few great ideas. And I will definitely want to lower it after I put my new wheels on in the spring, what's a good, but CHEAP lowering kit? Perhaps an amazon link or such..and can you tint the windows yourself? Is it too hard or? Also what kind of paint do you use for the mirrors/handles? And the reason I haven't removed my side moldings because there's always morons that keeps opening their doors into mine. Also, is the LED is plug and play? Never had good luck with soldering so I tend to stay far, far away. Sorry for all the question, I tend to talk too much lol.

FYI I'm a girl !

My suggestion for a good, cheap lowered suspension setup would definitely be the KYB AGXs and Eibach Pro Kit springs. Turbo Tech Racing has the entire setup for $949.98 [not including shipping] ($699.99 for the AGXs and $249.99 for the Pro Kits). You can also find these parts on eBay for $843.55 [free shipping on all parts] (cheapest price I found on eBay) for the entire setup ($619.56 for the AGXs and $223.99 for the Pro Kits).

You could tint the windows yourself, but as others have said, it's not as easy it may seem and every vehicle I've ever seen where the owner tinted the windows themselves looked terrible. This is definitely one of those times that it's worth it to pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it IMO.

I'm not totally sure about what type of paint to use as I had a body shop paint the handles on both my former Sunfires. Just do a search on here and you should be able to find plenty of threads to read through about painting the mirrors and handles on your own.

I hear you about the side moldings. This is why I always try to park in end spots so I can park over away from other vehicles and you only have a vehicle on one side of you instead of both. Just something to think about next time you're at a store or whatever .

Yes, they are plenty of LED bulbs that are a direct fit just like a regular halogen bulb would be. My preferred site to order LEDs from is v-LEDs. All the LEDs I have in my Vibe are from them and they were all plug and play. Their prices are great and they have super fast shipping.

Unlike some people around here, I don't mind the questions. I was once in your shoes so I totally understand where you're coming from being a newbie. I am more than happy to help whenever I can.

Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs are great! I had them in my Vibe up until a couple months ago when I switched to DDM Tuning HIDs (yes, my headlights are aimed down so I am not blinding oncoming traffic and I have yet to be flashed ). I got mine on eBay though because they are way cheaper than paying $60.00+ for them at Auto Zone, Walmart, etc.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:23 PM
Austen Kopp wrote:$200? Now you got my attention. Only problem is, my area within 100 miles radius, the Jbody's scene is dead, and no cool parts to get anywhere either.

Where I live 80-90% of the aftermarket stores are for trucks, trust me, I hear you, you just got to be patient. The sportline/koni set I bought were from a guy that had them setting in his garage for over 5 years, he seemed like he was ready to just throw them in the garbage because there was no interest, I managed to talk him down to $80 but he was missing 1 front koni red but I managed to found a guy on jbody that sold me 2 used koni red fronts for $90 shipped. $5 to replace worn out rear bushings and I now have a complete suspension for less than $200. If you are looking for a budget brand new kit, look at the prokit and agxs like stated or you could even go with tokico hp blues if you don't care about having adjustable struts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search