Hey I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if this isn't the place to be posting this thread, and yes I realize this is kind of a more opinion based question but I've owned two cavaliers already (a 2004 sedan and a 1999 sedan, both taken too soon by accidents. NOT MY FAULT haha) and I want to get a third that can be a real solid car but that I can also add a supercharger or turbo to and a few other aftermarket products to just to keep the general stock look but give it some balls performance wise. My question is, is there a specific year/body style that is better than the rest? Also 2.2 or 2.4 is there much difference when it comes to supercharging or turbo? And I'm trying to stick to a coupe cause why not haha. Thanks in advance for any help guys!
TL/DR version of my thoughts.
I'd rank them in this order.
1) 2002-2005 Eco-Tec. Cheapest to break 200hp, lots of support aftermarket wise the Eco-tec still is found in newer cars and is only getting more options for modding.
2) 2000-2003 Quad-4. I'd bet dollars to donuts that a well built 2.4 Quad-4 Super charged is just as good if not better then a Supercharged Eco-tec but, it's more costly to build and all you gain is .2 liters and those sexy cam towers.
3) 95-00 Quad-4. I've heard they are a pain to tune, see #2 otherwise
4) 98-02 2.2 OHV .They like turbo charging but That's what you have to do to them to make power. If your power goal is under 250 hps the 2.2 OHV car is fine otherwise it's gonna be hard and expensive
5) 95-97 2.2 OHV. Just look for something else. Only thing nice about them is the valve cover and that doesn't fit on the post 97 cars even.
Reliability ranks like this OHV>Eco-Tec>Quad-4
But, that should not matter is you plan on building the engine.
I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.