Testing new site feature - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Testing new site feature
Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:20 PM
I need some assistance from any and all of you that have mobile or tablet devices. There is a new site navigation that will be specific to those devices. Mostly what I need is feedback, positive or negative. If you have such a device, check it out, let me know your honest opinion of it, and particularly if you have any problems - just post what device you used, operating system version (if you know it), and a description of the problem.

The new navigation will only appear on smaller screens. This should include all phones, and most tablets in "portrait" orientation, but possibly not in "landscape" orientation (at least this is the case with the iPad).

What you will see when it is enabled and working, on the aforementioned devices, the black bar at the top will disappear and there will be a button floating in the top right corner, that should remain at the top even when you scroll, that will open the nav menu. See the attached screenshot for what it should look like.

Click this link to turn it on: http://www.j-body.org/navtest.php

If you don't like it, click the same link to turn it off again. It will turn itself off when you close your browser, or after a couple of hours of inactivity.

Attachments
Photo Jan 18, 3 09 11 PM.jpg (52k)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Re: Testing new site feature
Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:46 PM
Can't believe the premium members weren't on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:52 PM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:09 PM
Using HTC DNA Android 4.1.1

I generally just adapt to changes without much complaint. The feature works fine for me and I wouldn't mind it turning into a permanent addition. If anything, it does overlay on text and images, but it is transparent, so not too big a deal.

Only advise is, if it would be possible that the icon only "activate" when the user initiates a "scrolling function" on the touch screen and disappear when the screen is still for "x" amount of seconds.
Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:11 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Can't believe the premium members weren't on this.

I gave them a chance, guess they didn't want to be bothered.

RicoCav wrote:Only advise is, if it would be possible that the icon only "activate" when the user initiates a "scrolling function" on the touch screen and disappear when the screen is still for "x" amount of seconds.

Not a bad idea. I'll look into it.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:43 PM
I did. I didn't notice a difference on my Samsung galaxy note 3.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:46 PM
Here is a few pics.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-18-20-44-43.png (322k)
Screenshot_2014-01-18-20-45-08.png (303k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:32 PM
Samsung. Not sure what model its straight talk tuch screen tho if that helps. I loved it but then once i tried navigating it wouldnt load just sat there at 3/4 loaded wouldnt back up or anything.

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:59 PM
Well now its rking flawlessly no complants here!

I Love My J ♡
Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:06 AM
Works for me and I like it.

Tried it on Motorola Droid Razr Maxx and a Lenovo A2 Tablet, both running Android 4.1.2

Sunday, January 19, 2014 9:13 AM
HTC Windows Phone 8. Using internet explorer on it. Pages load but don't scroll anywhere. Locks me in the initial screen frame.
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:09 AM
Iphone 5s with the 7.0.4 and it works great!! Love the new look, I'm impressed with it

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:10 AM
iPhone 5s it works great!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:39 PM
Samsung Galaxy S4.

Works great and I like it. I agree with making it disappear with non movement and reappear with movement.

Kind of off topic but not entirely - I would like to see the reply box above the forum list. Having to scroll that far to reply is annoying sometimes.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:39 PM
boomguy wrote:HTC Windows Phone 8. Using internet explorer on it. Pages load but don't scroll anywhere. Locks me in the initial screen frame.

Wait, people actually buy Windows Phones? I thought they were just a joke. Damn.

Well it just figures that this feature is going to be held up by the fact that Microsoft and Windows Phone are garbage. I can't test on WP8 yet (because lets be honest, who actually uses Windows 8, which is what you need to install the Windows Phone 8 SDK), but I did test on WP7 and had issues. Until I can resolve those issues or find a workaround, the navigation will not be launched. If everyone so desires, I can probably set it up so that if you opt-in it won't expire after an hour, but stay with you indefinitely.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:40 PM
I like the idea of an opt-in for now, I like the new feature

Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:58 PM
Dave wrote:
boomguy wrote:HTC Windows Phone 8. Using internet explorer on it. Pages load but don't scroll anywhere. Locks me in the initial screen frame.

Wait, people actually buy Windows Phones? I thought they were just a joke. Damn.

Well it just figures that this feature is going to be held up by the fact that Microsoft and Windows Phone are garbage. I can't test on WP8 yet (because lets be honest, who actually uses Windows 8, which is what you need to install the Windows Phone 8 SDK), but I did test on WP7 and had issues. Until I can resolve those issues or find a workaround, the navigation will not be launched. If everyone so desires, I can probably set it up so that if you opt-in it won't expire after an hour, but stay with you indefinitely.

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with my Windows Phone. Minus the occasional crashing on the forum here. An opt out option would work best because for people like me who have a fancy Windows Phone, we'd get locked out of the forum. Don't worry about trying to fix the mobile feature just for me, the current browsing works just fine for me.
Monday, December 01, 2014 4:23 PM
Since the original code for this feature seemed to have problems for some people, I decided to revisit it and simplify things. The new code is much leaner, and as such won't be as fancy, with a tradeoff of hopefully working on more devices and browsers. I have tested it so far on a few devices, and all seem to work. There is some weirdness in IE that I am aware of, and I'm working on that. Although IE sucks and nobody should be using it, but I digress. I know there may be problems which is why I want to throw this out to everyone to test it. As above, the instructions are the same.

Click this link to turn it on: http://www.j-body.org/navtest.php

If you don't like it, or it is broken for you, click the same link to turn it off again. It will turn itself off when you close your browser, or after a couple of hours of inactivity.

I would like everyone to test this out, even in desktop browsers. I have actually added a hotkey (currently the "m" key) that will toggle the side navigation even on a desktop browser.

Test it out and let me know what you think, and any problems you have.

Monday, December 01, 2014 7:11 PM
I would hug you if I could. So much easier to navigate.

Monday, December 01, 2014 7:20 PM
Well, I may end up taking that hug back.

I like the ease of getting to different forums, but I miss the ability to see the latest posts at a glance. With the old style, FF mobile in portrait view requires too many presses of the back button to easily get back to the "forum home". I'm going to have to give it a few more days of use to get used to it and see how it compares.

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 4:23 AM
The m key is now my favorite key.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 9:20 AM
James Cahill wrote:I like the ease of getting to different forums, but I miss the ability to see the latest posts at a glance. With the old style, FF mobile in portrait view requires too many presses of the back button to easily get back to the "forum home". I'm going to have to give it a few more days of use to get used to it and see how it compares.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you explain a bit better?

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 11:30 PM
I was thinking an android app would be much better but just throwing that out there

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:17 AM
Tim wrote:I was thinking an android app would be much better but just throwing that out there

Dave has stated in the past that this wasn't an option / a road he wanted to venture down.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 1:40 PM
I made one small change today. As long as you are logged in, when you click the link to turn the feature on, it will stay on until you click the link again. Your setting is saved to your profile. I might add the setting to the control panel, but the eventual goal is for it to always be on.

Tim wrote:I was thinking an android app would be much better but just throwing that out there

While that sounds like a good idea, it would require too much investment for too little return. For now, anyway.

Thursday, December 04, 2014 2:50 PM
So Dave is the Picture of you next to your Name a new feature?

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search