Wiper arms limitation? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wiper arms limitation?
Monday, February 16, 2015 6:12 PM
Hey.
I've got a 2000 Cavalier LS that my kids drive. It's winter here and with winter comes snow and with snow comes the potential for wiper blades that stick to the windshield.
Knowing this fact, I tried to lift the wiper arms on the Cavalier up to 90 degrees like is common on every other modern car I've ever encountered, but they seem to stop around 30 degrees. I don't see a lever or a pin or button to make them lift any higher, so...

Is there a way to lift the wiper arms up to 90 degrees??

Thanks.

Re: Wiper arms limitation?
Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:07 PM
Nope, could get some spacers and stick em under the wiper when its as far out as it can go. Or just let the car run defrost for a bit before you drive it. I've never had a problem with sticky wipers on my cavalier or sunfire.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:46 AM
Nicholas Reilly wrote:Or just let the car run defrost for a bit before you drive it.
That would be the best thing. It is always a good idea to let the engine warm up before driving it anyway. Letting the engine parts and oil get up to temperature will increase the life of the engine. Car will be nice and warm when you get in it to drive too. It's a win/win
Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:50 AM
dave duncan wrote:Hey.
I've got a 2000 Cavalier LS that my kids drive. It's winter here and with winter comes snow and with snow comes the potential for wiper blades that stick to the windshield.
Knowing this fact, I tried to lift the wiper arms on the Cavalier up to 90 degrees like is common on every other modern car I've ever encountered, but they seem to stop around 30 degrees. I don't see a lever or a pin or button to make them lift any higher, so...

Is there a way to lift the wiper arms up to 90 degrees??

Thanks.

That's a good idea tho, it always bugged me that our wipers don't pop out and stay there. I'm going to take a look at this later and see what would need to be done to make that work.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:03 PM
Well while I can't recommend a solution to the wiper arm angles I will make some ideas available.I routinely wash my rides every week as long as the water does not freeze while washing.Aside some steps to improve the wipers working side.I am cleaning the ride's will wax my windshield once a month with either meguiar's professional grade #26 in a tan bottle from say auto zone for cost reference ($16.00) same stuff I wax with anyhow.Apply a light coat let it haze,remove with a good cotton towel and go back over the glass with my chamois (shammy) as I use this on the paint to remove lint,swirls etc.I also recommend going with a a covered wiper arm like the Michelin stealths sold at walmart for $14.37 each!! Costly they are but,snow and ice does not build up on them as bad versus the cheap open arm or vent style wiper arms.I know rain x and bosch make a similar version where the wiper blade metal is covered in a rubber overlay which improves the arms staying on the glass for better even swipes and last longer than the cheapies.I will say autozone,advance, napa etc charge MORE for wiper blades and why I go to walmart as they carry anco,rain x ,bosch,michelin and some super tech(walmart) brand.Keeping the glass slick reduces the drag,and improves the wiper blade life even in crappy climates.I will say you can just by really any good wax to go over the glass as the idea is for a SLICK surface and best visibility in any condition.Tips I am sharing as I am a ocd clean fanatic since as long as I have driven a car.Btw that is 30 years now for me.

Friday, February 20, 2015 5:12 AM
I don't know about you but I am able to actually flip the bale so the rubber side is pointing outward. Works fine during winter time and freezing conditions.
Friday, February 20, 2015 5:23 AM
The big issue with this is in icy conditions. Windshield gets wet, water freezes, wiper blades freeze to the windshield and...all of this could be avoided if GM would have installed OEM wiper arms that lift to 90 degrees.
Anyway, it's a minor seasonal annoyance and nothing more. First world problem and all that. Thanks for the replies.
Friday, February 20, 2015 4:57 PM
Yes they do not lift out 90 degrees, but you can swap to other arms that do.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:41 AM
I replaced my wiper arms with 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. They work just fine, and flip out so the wipers do not freeze.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search