Timing chain failure...new motor? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing chain failure...new motor?
Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:59 AM
Yeah, my daughter's 04 ECO apparently has a timing chain failure, as diagnosed by a repair shop in another town where she lives. Car won't start, etc. Does this mean another motor? If so, should I replace the chain in the other (used) motor before installing it? Recommendations for a chain/tensioner/kit? Thanks.

Re: Timing chain failure...new motor?
Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:23 AM
Well depends on what exactly timing chain failure means. Did the chain break or gear teeth round out or did it just jump timing? If it only jumped timing by a link or 2, it is an interference motor, but you may be able to re-time it with new components and call it a day. Being an interference motor, if it slipped timing bad enough or there was a component failure you may have bent valves, in which case I would grab a junkyard head to throw on. Any way you approach it you'll need a timing kit at the least. I have only used the Cloyes timing sets and have had good luck with them so far.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:23 PM
Thread jacking.... A buddy has a 2.2 eco olds alero he's gunna sell me real cheap.. but his mom took it to a mechanic for a tapping noise that they said was a lifter. So, the dumbass took it all apart and said a lot more was wrong with it... it has almost 200k on it but was always babied. Should I get a whole timing set water pump and steering pump or just put I back together with new gaskets and call it a day?
Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:51 PM
I dont kno much bout engines, but i kno enough to kno u might as well do it right the first time. Spend a little, save alot

ReD RaiN
Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:01 PM
Without more info it sounds like you're heading into throwing money blindly at it. A faulty tensioner, old and worn chain and guides, or sticking lifter can all be the cause of a tapping noise, as long as it's not a knocking noise. Water pump doesn't drive off the cam timing, and the power steering is direct drive off the intake cam.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:49 PM
Timing chains rarely snap. Replacing a tensioner is for sure a good move on a Ecotec when getting a used one.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search