Optima redtop - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Optima redtop
Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:46 PM
So upon doing some maintenance on Jezebel I ended up forgetting I had my alan wrench still on the battery when I went to start her up.. ended up killing the battery. So I snagged shirleys and it's worked but my lights dim and I decided to upgrade anyhow. Now I can get an optima battery brand new real cheap but I have two options and I don't know much in the way of batteries save for which ones are better/stronger. I can get a redtop with both side and top post but it's group 75/25 and same battery but side post are closer and it's group 34/78. The only real difference I can see aside from separation of the side post is one has 720-910 cranking amps while the other has 800-1000

So which one is better? I do not have a powerful audio system at all in fact my audio system is dead atm and halo headlights , all in all nothing too demanding on the system yet but I will be replacing my audio system soon. Nothing too fancy just a CD player with several options and quality speakers and then custom gauges(oil press, oil temp, etc).

Or should I get a lesser even cheaper battery until I have enough drainage going on to warrant a stronger battery?

Re: Optima redtop
Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:49 PM
Lol just contradicted myself, I meant brand wise regarding better/stronger
Tuesday, February 02, 2016 7:20 PM
Optima batteries are not the awesome batteries they once were. I lost all faith with them when all of mine crapped out within a couple of years of use.

I'll stick with inexpensive Kirkland brand (Costco!)
Tuesday, February 02, 2016 8:38 PM
I've had my duralast gold for going on five years now. My buddy got a redtop for his corvette at autozone for like $120. Apparently they price match to legitimate stores on Ebay and he found a store that had it for that price.
Tuesday, February 02, 2016 8:59 PM
I myself prefer auto zone duralast gold.Cost is fine,warranty is 3 years free replacement and as for cca or reserve above or better than oem.I will on another note say there most batteries are made by Johnson controls for pretty much everyone along with some side line companies.To keep this easy buy a battery from auto zone,advance auto or even walmart.All 3 have good warranties and store's everywhere for ease.I will say I have had GOOD success with the auto zone duralast gold version.In my 1987 mazda 1st DLG lasted over 8.5 years and NO problems.My last buy was in 8/07 this battery just last week bit the dust and still had under $7.00 left on the warranty before replacing that(last week 1/28/16).I am pushing the auto zone Duralast gold because I have had fewer issue's and priced Fair and warranty is solid.I do not dislike advance auto but,I do dislike interstate as they IMO fail more often,and some subpar brands fall into that category.You could do a consumer reports check and waste your time.The simple is the stores I said all carry decent batteries for a good price,good warranty and all are easy to locate where ever you might be if needed.The plus side for auto zone and advance is they save your warranty info so if you have a fail problem it is a ease swap and go over walmart's annoying exchange process for a problem.Oreilly's IDK as I have never bought a battery from them or even napa,or carquest.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 12:49 AM
Huh we'll I'll definitely look into duralast gold from autozone, I live not even a minutes drive from one and a bp. I am looking for longevity and reliability so if duralast gold last up to 8.5 years then I'll definitely snag one. Can't beat free replacement
Wednesday, February 03, 2016 8:13 PM
I would also suggest get a auto zone reward card.For every $20.00 spent (with 5 purchases) you get a FREE $20.00 credit from them to use in the store just for doing business with them!!!!! So yeah you will have to spend $100.00 over time but I buy auto parts and etc Once you get this free $20.00 credit this can be used to buy anything in the store and apply to a purchase where you buy say a alternator and pay cash then apply the $20.00 credit on your auto zone reward card towards the total cost of the part your buying that day.EASY!!!!NO gimics or BS just there way of showing they appreciate your business.Plus once you give them your email or home address you get a nice booklet of very good coupons to save even more $$$$$$$$.I just used one last week and saved me literally $20.00 off front brakes for my nephews 06 accord.Yes I do Like autozone and have no complaints.Plus you can build a good relationship with the sales staff and make it a more personal thing and not just a guy coming to buy parts to never return for a long time.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 6:06 AM
I have also been seeing the Optimas don't seems to be lasting very long. We had one in an SUV at the shop I work at that was only 2 1/2 years old fail.
I have had 2 brands of battery that have provided exceptional service.
AC Delco, I have had a couple of them last for 9-10 years
Deka (East Penn MFG) a little hard to find, Auto Value carries them in my area and also Napa batteries in my area are made by them. I have had a couple of these last the 8-10 year range.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search