Need some tips - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need some tips
Wednesday, November 02, 2016 1:24 PM
Don't know where else to put this really so I'll try here.

Anyway, I've been searching for a vehicle that does really good on fuel. I was searching for a Geo Metro with a 5 speed but that didn't work out. I did get a 2000 Chevy Cavalier for the amazing price of free. It only needs a thermostat, oil change, transmission oil change, coolant flush and a valve cover gasket. My boss had an extra car so gave it to me.

Here's my main issue, I'm wanting to get the best fuel mileage that I possibly can. It has the 3 speed auto which kind of sucks but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Any suggestions though? I'm kind of thinking about a warm air intake. I don't care if I lose any kind of power, my main issue is getting the best fuel mileage I can. It's a highway car since my job involves me going back and forth between a few schools.

Re: Need some tips
Wednesday, November 02, 2016 2:45 PM
Three speed will give you terrible mileage, trust me personal experience. I got like 20-25 mixed with my cavalier with the 3 speed.

but... you really need to up your MPGs a lot or do a massive amount of driving to justify modding a car or buying a different one for just mileage

lets say one car A gets 30 mpg and the second,Car B, gets 20
lets also say that you drive 15,000 miles per year, slightly above the average

Car A would require 500 gallons of gas to drive that distance
Car B would require 750 gallons of gas to drive the same distance

So we have a 150 gallon difference

At $2.50 per gallon you are saving...
375 bucks per year by driving car A

Now consider Car C at 50 MPG
Car C would use 300 gallons
Car C would use 450 less gallons then B
Car C would cost $1,125 less per year over Car B

Personally I can not justify buying a car just because of it's better mileage
It's a data point worth considering...
But it would take you what?
10-14 years to justify buying a brand new Eco-CityCar that got 50 MPG
...And that's only if If it replaced a truck that got something horrible like only 20 MPG

Anyways.... A front lip gave me about 2-3 MPGs High-way on my Cavalier

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Wednesday, November 02, 2016 8:27 PM
Well I am kind of hoping the auto gives out on it sometime to give me an excuse to find a cheap 5 speed
Thursday, November 03, 2016 12:00 PM
Proper tuneup, properly inflated tires, and synthetic fluids in the motor and trans would be a good start. Factory spoiler should help with mpg if it doesn't have one already.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:08 AM
I had a 3 speed auto sunfire, and got really good mpg's on the interstate at 70mph. I just kept basic maintenance up.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search