Old School Check-in - Page 12 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Old School Check-in
Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:43 AM
Been here "officially" since 04', but browsed this forum since 01'.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:25 AM
well...today is actually my 10th anniversary for the J scene. perhaps i shall make a nostalgic post to mark the event

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:56 PM
might as well check in too! these posts bring back memories.
i remember 2500 members was the milestone. late 98 early 99.
i love not have a born on date!
had a 97 cavalier. my 02 was the one that got the most modifications.
first one to have an 02 with the 03 LS bumper. those were the days
havent been around for a few years. the astra is fun tho!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:43 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
Scott Heflin wrote:Haha... old school indeed.

Wow to see this man post really brings back some memories.

HOLY old person lol.

Im 02 myself, I was on the old RKboards before this.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:30 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
Scott Heflin wrote:Haha... old school indeed.

Wow to see this man post really brings back some memories.

HOLY old person lol.

Im 02 myself, I was on the old RKboards before this.

I never cared for the RK boards, but I remember the Club J Body emailing list. That was pre org.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:15 PM
As much stuff I had my hands in at the time I never really took part in the RK boards either (even being unofficially sponsored by them), they just seemed more about going at each other than the hobby. This is one reason I go with a few from the other domestic car boards at the time (American 4/6 cyl performance) and all the other Geocities sites out there with J-bodies and started recruiting for the onlelist.com mailing list/board. I honestly never thought it would grow like this, but where I stopped others came in and improved on it. One of the best memories of the whole thing was meeting up with Dave of J-body.org and Jorge an army active duty guy for one the first Hot Import Daze show in Long Beach Cali, Dave mentioned an idea of opening a site called J-Body.org because he had friends in the Saturn community that had a good thing going, a few months later she was born.

My start was Geocities, then z24.com and phobia.net.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:33 PM
Iould be lost without this site. Probably wouldn't have my Sunfire either. More than likely would have had a muscle car instead.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, April 25, 2011 3:19 AM
Been here 10 years...

Norms Fenders
Holes in front bumper from plate bracket (custom)
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake/IC Pipes
Pcm4less Tune
Infinity Kappa Speakers
Dakota Digital EGT & Boost Gauage
DDM Probeam
JPM Shifter
Custom Kicker System By JPM
MBRP Heat Shield
Dejon Intercooler
AlkaControl Water/Meth Injection
Monday, April 25, 2011 11:27 AM
Still going.....

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:14 PM
"Unofficially sponsored"
LOL
Which technically means....you were not sponsored by RK.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:02 AM
Wow you still exist as a troll. Some things never change. When you get a $600 exhaust system, for $100, shipped, a rear wing given, painted and installed for free as a "birthday" present from the person you are helping out with promotions that added up to about $400. Had ceramic headers and first exhaust system bought at about half price and installed by their then partner shop who did all the installs on their car before they had their own, for $50 including custom fabrication, all without a signed contract, may not be an "official sponsor" but rather a mutual agreement. Mantapart wasnt as giving but still had pretty much a 30% discount on everything with only having to run their logos on my back side windows. Call it what you will, but I was doing something right for the community because I damn sure am not no ass kisser, as those who had met me in person would know.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:05 PM
You still exist period?
You knew people that did you favors, that doesn't make you sponsored. But go ahead and keep patting yourself on the back for being something great, that you never were. At least you're still humble

You may not be an ass kisser, but you still demand respect for doing absolutely nothing ground breaking in the j-body community. And being a jackass when you don't get the respect.
Ian Lacy, respect.
Jim Trevino, respect.
Bob Mull, respect.
Matt Teske, respect.
These are people that are originators, made the J-body scene, broke barriers, got REAL sponsorships, won shows, brought aftermarket support to the J-body scene, people STILL remember their names today and and they deserve respect...and are the kindest, nicest, most helpful people around. You're just a jerk that got a discount on parts and wants the level of respect for doing nothing but talk big. With your base model 2.2 pos. (snicker) You'll never get my respect, because you've always been an arrogant jerk that didn't put in the work, but wants all the spotlight. If speaking the truth about you makes me a troll then so be it.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:24 PM
Yeap you really know your history. Club J-Body, do your research, you may find info on it still, were headed by myself, Mike Green and Jim Trevino back in 96. We worked with Tim from Mantapart as well as Greg Smith from RKSport by gaining interest from a small community of about 120 people who were willing to mass email, put down deposits, etc to get @!#$ made for the cars to show many companies there was interest in this vehicle. Ask John Higgins, I think he is one of the old dogs still on hear that remember that, the others have long gone. Funny how you give Jim respect now, I remember you talking @!#$ about his car in private emails back then. There is much more then getting things done for a car then just having a flashy car where you dump countless money in. I didnt have the 1000s to dump into a car, plus I was in the Marines and all Ihad was time. That time was running forums, creating websites and searching for companies of interst, while dealing with people like you with nothing else better to do then to talk smack. Sadly I think the Honda Civic owners do a better job then you. Club J-Body was before JBO, it later merged with JBO using the URL name, it was after Z24.com fell hard because of people saying their @!#$ smells better than the other people on the board, then they moved to RK boards. We kept everything via mailing list, while having fellow domestic automotive clubs and sites as partners to better the community, not turn it to @!#$ like it turned into from people full of egos, and internet badasses like you.

Anyhow, I know what I did, and those that were around do to. I could care less of what it became now as I moved to other things. This post was about reminiscing, and that I did. You did remind me why I left the whole scene to begin with, because people want to be all big and bad from behind a forum but never want to do anything to unite a culture. So keep creating your "Turbulance" and the chest beating. I hope it makes you feel like somebody.

I am done with you, for anyone else who wants to talk about the old good times, instead of trolling feel free to post.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:36 PM
Sweetheart, would like a tissue to dry your eyes? Step off your pedestal of self importance and i'll hand you one.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:23 PM
Do you have said e-mails form me bashing Jim?? No, because that never happened, but nice try. I DID however e-mail YOU that you're a douche, But i've also let you know it in public too so there is nothing in those old e-mails that i wouldn't or have not said here in the open. And I have been publicly vocal at the time that I was not a fan of the Reaper graphics airbrushed all over the car, I said this as a person that knew nothing about that car at the time. I also said that in the wide open as well.

Over time since saying that, I've learned about how much hard work Jim put into the rest of the car and after meeting him I'm still not so much a fan of the graphics, but the car is legendary, and the man is a class act. And guess what? there is a new post here where a large group of people who also know nothing about this car or it's history but just based on first viewing also voiced their dislike of the reaper graphics. So I guess that isn't just me. Doesn't mean I don't like Jim or the car, but I'm allowed to dislike the graphics.

I hate to break it to you, but when you ran a mailing list there was not after market support. And long after it died there still wasn't much at all. So you're mailing club didn't do anything game changing. And don't try to make it sound like you helped start JBO. You didn't. Are you actually trying to say your lame mailing list/j-body club did more for j-body aftermarket support and respect than Ian Lacey, Bob Mull, and Matt Teske's award winning show cars did? Seriously after they started winning awards, and getting in magazines after market companies saw the potential and THAT'S why we got the after market support. That was years after you weren't even posting here anymore and not even an active part of the community. When people want to reminisce about the old days of archaic online J-body "online" community your mailing list comes into conversation in one sentence. When people talk about the J-body community as a whole, and who made it what it is today your name doesn't even come up. So yes when it comes to guys like you coming back and re writing your past to make it sound better than it was I have no problem calling you out.
Does the truth get revealed, yes.
Does it make me a troll? I'm fine with that.
I also partnered with people to better the J-body community, But unlike you I won't come on a forum and pat my own back and brag about it to everybody because I'm not in it for credit due, or respect. The fact you can ignorantly spew that I've done nothing shows how little you know about me. Fact is i didn't do it alone I, unlike you who wants everyone to bow to you for starting a mailing list. I can freely say I did what i did with the help of great people, whom without their contribution anything I did for the community would mean nothing. I don't brag about it, and when it's brought up I always give the credit to the group. Because it wasn't just one or 2 of us it was all of us, as a community. Not like you who is bragging about how wonderful you are and then name dropping to make yourself sound better. And the best part is what i was a part of is still alive and well today and STILL actively supports the J-body community. I have done a ton for the J-body community, and have never once bragged about it or even bothered to talk about it., I didn't even bring it up now! That's how i can prove you're a phony, because you clamor for the credit and attention.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:49 PM
Let me say Karl and I never completelyy agreeed on things, or saw eye to eye, but I give him credit for being a grandfather. Regardless of what motor he had. I also know what Jim told me in regards to Karl and him doing things, and I believe Jim.

JookyCola who are you? Serious I have no clue. Seen your screen name a few times, but have no clue who you are or what you have done.

I have other things I could say but do not want to dis respect the other names mentioned in this post.

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:59 PM
Seriously guys,,, you have to add drama to my positive thread? Come on....

Some things here never change....

Keep the positive vibe going man....

Which remoinds me that my cav is due for an oil change this week.....

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:01 PM
One day this site will have an edit button.....maybe.

"reminds"

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:16 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Let me say Karl and I never completelyy agreeed on things, or saw eye to eye, but I give him credit for being a grandfather. Regardless of what motor he had. I also know what Jim told me in regards to Karl and him doing things, and I believe Jim.

JookyCola who are you? Serious I have no clue. Seen your screen name a few times, but have no clue who you are or what you have done.

I have other things I could say but do not want to dis respect the other names mentioned in this post.

No disrespect, but why does it matter what I've done?
I'd tell you, but what would that matter? I'm not looking for a pat on the back or due respect, just knowing I've contributed is cool enough. I didn't do it for notoriety or to make it into J-body legend and lore.
I don't know you either? The name John Higgins is familiar to me only as a person that posted here...but outside of that I have no idea who you are or what you've done, does that make you any less of a person?

I realize it's not really my place to call Karl out. Maybe that was a tad harsh, if he needs to embellish his life story to get that respect he needs to make him feel better about himself then who am I to say anything. Whatever Karl, it's all good man, end of the line on the hate. In the end we all had a great time with these cars, for the short time we had. I'm not going to bring it up again, life's too short.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:51 PM
I said I was done but I cant help but to laugh. Take a look at Johns cars, he is the now owner of the Grim Reaper Z24. He was also one who was in the small circle of the Jacksonville J-Bodies and the company who helped develop the first turbo kit for the 2.4L engine, later to merge with RKSport to increase sales of it. The Grim Z24 I believe was the third attempt at the kit. For someone who claims to know the aftermarket history of these cars, sure seems to mention alot about cars that were in the scene after the ball was rolling and there were more than two companies making parts. The show cars of this site in their prime were after the Cavalier became sold in Japan as a Toyota, and after the many "tec" companies came, jipped 100s of enthusiasts out of their money (forgot the names, but I know the names Dom and Chris ring a bell), and before Wings West, Razzi, Erebuni, etc started taking interest in the cars. The names mentioned did bring it to the next level, dont get me wrong but I know of a few others as well not listed that were much more influential on the community. Chris Laverty I think, green and yellow Z24 that was doing national shows, (for the record the reaper was only local to MI) Tim Schilling who started the first J-Body meetup at the factory. I believe Erod had some workings with that as well. Oddly enough the only person that I did see post here from the time I had the car that I did not know and who did not appear active at the time, is the same one asking who are you and turning this thread to @!#$. As I said before I did what I did because it was my hobby, I dont look for credit I was merely reminiscing. I have plenty of life accomplishments that I dont need a trophy on the wall to show I won a show because I dumped $15,000 in a car that was worth $5000 2 years after I bought it. I was more for creating unity and getting people together rather than saying my car is better. Me and John both had our quarrels, as me and Jim as well. I have lost touch with Jim but we were more friends outside the car culture then inside it.

Anyhow, this site was made for the hopes of like minds to get together and share a passion, not to bitch at each other and have a pissing contest. This is why I gave up on the car meets, car shows, but not the hobby. I still modify my existing car, but I only hang out with friends with passion in modifying as well whether it be air bagged S-10s, drag race spec muscle cars, or nicely modified show car imports. The hobby as a whole needs more unified but as with everything, nothing cant be done without someone trying to counter it and cause issues. You used to be able to go to a late night restaurant, park, hang out and talk about cars, everywhere where I live cops break it up in 5 minutes, because of idiots showing off or fights breaking out. these forums (not just JBO, but any forum in general dealing with cars and testosterone) are the same way, but with the convenience of people hiding behind keyboards.

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:20 PM
Nice book, nobody cares.

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:46 PM
I don't know any of you yahoos. So stop fag slapping each other.
New School member FTMFW!!!!!

Actually i know evilZ (bob mull) that car pushed the envelop. and Ian lacys car toured with the the GM concept cars to shows and TRADE shows, matt teskes helped develop the drift kit. these 3 cars are what got the after market for these cars. Once after market vendors saw a real market and potential for the J's they invested R&D ($$$). Are you honestly saying you were more important than Mull, Lacey, and Teske? You getting free headers, exhauast and a wing didn't do sh!t for the community bro be serious. It helped you. Nobody looked at your base model 2.2 Cavalier pos and took you seriously.
These guys won trophies, appeared in magazines, made dramatic custom changes to their cars, appeared at trade shows where VENDORS that matter look at the car. they made J-bodies cool. It's kind of crappy that you are trying to make yourself sound like you accomplished more than people who did, and sounding like an arrogant fool while dissing their accomplishments like they mean nothing compared to the BS you did. Every post is you bragging about you and name dropping like it was said already. So why don't the both of you ladies take this fight to PM so the rest of us who don't give a damn can just kick it.
Monday, May 16, 2011 9:27 PM
you guys are cool cause you started the "j-scene"

Good job assholes, @!#$ worse cars of my life....

still have a soft spot for my vert though, miss that car

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:25 AM
I didn't start the j-scene, and unlike someone else I don't brag that i did. I was just part of it like you. But I have to agree My J-body was a huge piece of crap...yet oddly I still loved it. It was like a bad relationship. I knew it wasn't good, I knew it would never workout, but I still kept going with it.

Mostly because I was so over/under on my car note. These cars had 0% resale value. The last year I owned the car was also the last year of my 5 year loan, I owed $8000 and the car was worth $5000. And that was brand new with 0.9% financing though GMAC. I took the loss and sold it for $5000 and was stuck with my 95 Tracker till i paid off the remaining $3000 over the next year. But I was thankfully rid of this car. That amazingly...I still missed from time to time. I have a soft spot for J-bodies even though I know they are terrible.

How bad did people get raked over the coals on trade ins or in awful over/under values when it came time to move on?

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:11 PM
I have not been here very long but I actually created J-body.org. I thought of it a long time ago when I was still creating the internet. It started out as a chain letter ring. It doesn't matter what Dave "actually" did because I thought about it first and laid all the ground work out.

I'm unofficially sponsored by k&n because I got it on sale and it came with a sticker. And unofficially sponsored by GM because they did my last oil change at the dealer for free. And that's helped all you guys so much.

I also came up with the idea to put custom aftermarket wheels on cars. I'm not bragging I'm just here to reminiscence...while talking about myself...a lot. So when you see me bow down and thank me. Because if it weren't for me j-bodies would be nothing but rental cars.

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search