Sunfire or Cavalier for the next car? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunfire or Cavalier for the next car?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:49 PM
Probably getting a new car in the next two weeks or so depending on how things go since mine is wrecked in the right quarter panel now (thanks guard rail!) and it's old enough with no mods and not worth fixing it at this point (96,000 miles and well it's a 1997 Base Cavy....). So I'm wondering some opinions on if I'm looking into 2004-2005 cars should I get the Sunfire or Cavalier and why? I loved my Cavalier but the Sunfires do certainly have a "cool" factor to them - I love those orange dash-board lights like my 87 Sunbird had, etc... *sigh* I just can't decide - pretty much the same car or some things I should consider on my purchase? Does the Sunfire have a different engine in that makes more power - things like that? Really curious as to how the cars differ other than the minor differences in body stylings...

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Re: Sunfire or Cavalier for the next car?
Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:51 PM
They are both exactly the same car, decide on what style you like, other than that, they are exactly the same.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:33 PM
That's what I had always though - just didn't know if the engines or something of that nature differed at all. Thanks Shifted. I'll have to check into both and see what I like, kind of like the Cavalier's front-end but the Sunfire has a certain style to it I like also... hmmm, decisions suck. hehe
Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:37 PM
If its up to me 95-02 I'd get a Cavalier, 03+ I'd get a Sunfire, unless it has a LS lip.

Sunday, March 06, 2005 1:47 PM
they are both the same car basically. just different styles.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:12 PM
If I were you I'd grab a 03+ sunfire.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Sunday, March 06, 2005 2:20 PM
hmm i dont really like the 03+ sunfires front, i love the cavalier sport, with the lips! that would be the only other j-body i would trade my sunfire for.
Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:04 PM
"I loved my Cavalier but the Sunfires do certainly have a "cool" factor to them"

hahhaha thanks for making my day, do yourself a favor and get something nice, you are plenty old enough to not be driving a piece of crap
Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:26 PM
id get neither and upgrade, a jbody is a good starter car for a first car

Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:41 PM
not sure if pontiac fixed this problem or not, but i know that the headgaskets suck in the 95 sunfires.........not sure if this has been fixed or if this problem exists in cavs

Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:17 PM
thugn$ wrote:id get neither and upgrade, a jbody is a good starter car for a first car

I just don't consider the Sunfire or Cavalier a piece of crap. Was doing some pricing comparisons on a couple pre-owned cars and found a couple nice Monte Carlo's and Malibu's so that may be an option but I like how the J-Body's drive. I was also looking at the Cobalt (especially the LT/SS models) so now I'm really bent on the decision making process. I'd imagine the Cobalt is a J-body from the little bit I read here - same as the Pontiac G6 I guess? I guess I won't be able to fully decide until I'm at the dealerships and looking.

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:15 AM
i didnt say they were peices of crap, its just they r conciderd the low value in the market, mine was a great starter car, how much r u thinkin to spend? trust me once u hop in say a prelude for example they feel so much more solid and when u drive them it does not feel like cheap plastic interior peices, thats just an example, but like i said man if ur money is low a jbody is a perfect ride

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:53 AM
this is a jbody website, and your trashin jbodys?

Monday, March 07, 2005 4:46 AM
He's not trashing them, he's right... They are far from top of the line, why do you think civic and mustang guys hate it when we beat em?

And I have a 04 fire, love it! Easy payments, lots of parts.

My Sunfire
Monday, March 07, 2005 8:49 AM
my apologies, i miss understood that post.........thanks for pointing that out 5 second

Monday, March 07, 2005 8:54 AM
That's what I'm looking for at this point in time, something easier on the pocket book. It looks like I can go with a car that might be up to $16,000 rather easily - of course, I *could* probably get a much more expensive car but at this point in time but for me I just can't see having $400/month in car payments. My car is not my top priority - of course the new one (Whatever I get) might get some mods this time around to make it stand out more but for me a car is more transportation than anything.

I'm still considering the Malibu, Cobalt and Monte Carlo (I prefer GM's) since it looks like I can probably swallow the payments on all 3 of them without too much trouble. Only thing that bothers me with the Monte Carlo - is it Front Wheel Drive these days or still Rear Wheel Drive? I haven't found a definitive answer on this and I even checked on Chevy's website - maybe I'm just blind, hehe... If it's Rear-Wheel Drive I'd rather pass since front wheel drive cars do much better (in general) in the snow.
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 9:42 AM
^^^^its front wheel drive....and i personally love those cars, if they came in manual id consider one as my new car

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 11:39 AM
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:05 PM
I dunno I love my J its my first new car yea it's cheap I know this but theres just something about it I love....I mean I wouldnt drive one for the rest of my life but I mean its good now after all the problems ive had LOL....We will see when I pay this car off where I go from there......

Thanks to spyderwizard for the sig!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:57 PM
Sunfire! You can't beat the agressive look!
Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:06 PM
^^^^ i second that, have my sunfire beside a cavy right now, definate difference in aggresiive look.........but both are 95's

Friday, March 11, 2005 10:59 AM
i want my next to be a red or black sunfire. convertable preferebly, but not mandatory

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Friday, March 11, 2005 11:44 AM
Never liked sunfires myself.. not too sure why, always seemed like a woman car to me? too round or something...lol no offense to everyone that drives one, just stating my opinion.

They do have dual exhaust which is nice tho! why couldnt they put that on z24s.
Friday, March 11, 2005 3:29 PM
Braxas wrote:
thugn$ wrote:i I'd imagine the Cobalt is a J-body from the little bit I read here - same as the Pontiac G6 I guess?

Actually, the Cobalt is on Delta (compact), and the G6 is on Epsilon (midsize). GM is starting to move from letter designations to words (Greek alphabet, maybe?) for platforms.

I was actually in a similar situation about a month ago. I was considering both the Cavalier and Sunfire, but I liked the Cobalt too. About three weeks ago, I saw a new blue Cavalier LS coupe that I really liked, but the insurance ended up being much higher than the Cobalt's. So I got a white Cobalt LS sedan, because of the lower insurance and because I think it is a nicer car with at least a few more features than the Cavalier. I just switched to Progressive and I pay $584/6 months for the Cobalt -- not bad for a single 23-year-old guy
Friday, March 11, 2005 8:08 PM
Its up to you man. There the same car. But I would have to say its easier to find after market parts for a CAV. IMO I would not give my Fire for anything.

CLICK SIG FOR UPDATED CARDOMAIN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search