Idiot salesmen - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Idiot salesmen
Saturday, May 14, 2005 10:38 AM
I found a stick Cavi at a dealer less than two hours away via gmbuypower.com, so I sent a request for a quote. The dealer's "BuyPower Manager" kicked it to a sales drone, who sent me a list of questions instead of quoting a price. I answered, and he replied with $12,030 after rebates. (sticker is $15,530, and rebates total $3500). When I responded that I didn't think full MSRP was a meaningful quote, I got two replies. The salesman offered a $200 discount as a "goodwill gesture", and the "buypower manager" sent me this:
Quote:

Thank you for your response. According to our search with GM, there are
only five Cavaliers in Michigan and Wisconsin combined. This vehicle has
been very popular over the years, and has been discontinued and replaced by
the Cobalt.

In this circumstance many dealers would add an upcharge to the sticker
price. We do not subscribe to that practice, even with specialty vehicles
like Corvette Anniversary Edition or the SSR. We do feel that this vehicle
will sell to someone who wants a Cavalier and nothing else. Management has
taken the position that MSRP is the lowest price we will sell this
particular vehicle for.

If you work for a GM Supplier or you or a family member is a GM employee we would make an adjustment, otherwise Rich's offer of a $200 discount from MSRP (against the advice of management) is our best offer.

Please let us know your intentions.
Regards,
Anson Jaynes
-webmaster-

I let them know my intentions by declining their "best offer" and telling them that
I would much rather have an Ion or Cobalt if I wanted to spend that much. Since then the sales drone has emailed me an offer of $500 OVER invoice, which I ignored, and then called me at home. (I did not give a phone number with my buypower request) I realize they may be getting desperate to move this aging car off the lot, but why do they have to be lying jackasses about it? And why would they think I would ever do business with Berger Chevrolet of Grand Rapids after that jerk Anson fed me the BS about selling Cavis for more than sticker?

Re: Idiot salesmen
Saturday, May 14, 2005 11:59 AM
thats awesome! my car was listed at 15,700 and i got it for 9,200. the salesman wasnt very happy but who cares he s a salesman. dont let them give you that crap they can go lower they are just being themselves @!#$S!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:46 PM
Streaker1369 wrote:thats awesome! my car was listed at 15,700 and i got it for 9,200. the salesman wasnt very happy but who cares he s a salesman. dont let them give you that crap they can go lower they are just being themselves @!#$S!

Who cares he's a salesman......wtf is that supposed to mean....me gotta manke a living too....you thik we work 55 + hours a week for the hell of it.....what do you do for a living....do you get paid to do it....or do you do it just to pass the time away before you die???

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Saturday, May 14, 2005 2:28 PM
KandyMan...Das Deutsche. wrote:
Streaker1369 wrote:thats awesome! my car was listed at 15,700 and i got it for 9,200. the salesman wasnt very happy but who cares he s a salesman. dont let them give you that crap they can go lower they are just being themselves @!#$S!

Who cares he's a salesman......wtf is that supposed to mean....me gotta manke a living too....you thik we work 55 + hours a week for the hell of it.....what do you do for a living....do you get paid to do it....or do you do it just to pass the time away before you die???

I used to sell cars at a Pontiac/GMC/Olds/Buick/Cadillac/Toyota dealership so I can relate to that comment. Also your apparent digust with the general poplulation. It just makes me chuckle.

I hope youre making enough money to justify the salesman gig, otherwise get the hell out or you sound like you'll go mad.

Anyway about selling the cavs over MSRP because "anyone that wants to buy one must be willing to pay that much" is total BS. You should bypass the salesman and walk right into the managers office next time. Depending on the manager, he'll break down and give you what the car is worth just to get you off his back.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Saturday, May 14, 2005 4:04 PM
i love the public...and make a good living....i just hate @!#$s who think we shouldnt make any money werking for a living

Monday, May 16, 2005 2:18 PM
yeah i was trying to buy a new cavy from a dealer and he wouldnt come down off the msrp. I guess he thought i would pay it cuz im a kid but the guy kept tellin me that this is his best offer (not much of an offer). this was at a time when they were trying to get rid of them so they could bring in the cobalts. this dealership still had 15 other cavs on the lot and for some reason they couldnt give me a better deal.
needless to say i walked away without a new car which really sux but im not about to pay more just because somebody thinks im too stupid to negotiate a deal.

Monday, May 16, 2005 7:25 PM
KandyMan...Das Deutsche. wrote:i love the public...and make a good living....i just hate @!#$s who think we shouldnt make any money werking for a living

Not to contest you, but on a similar yet opposite point, I hate sleazy salesman that try to lie and deceive people in order to get more money out of them. Or the salesman that refuse to deal with you simply because you're young.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, May 16, 2005 8:39 PM
i used to be a salesman also. mabye around here its diff but our sales manager was total dick!

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 5:40 AM
But I wonder if you guys Understand that GM hole Idea was to get away from all of these Rebates when all of the new Vehicles come into play.

Well guess what the New Vehicles are comming into play. You missed the Rebate Boat.

Another thing you young buyers needs to know it isn't the dealerships that are giving the rebates it is GM. Sooooooo If GM isn't offering the rebates then the salesman at the dealership isn't going to offer rebates.

Also GM offered these Rebates to keep all of their Factories running at Full Capacities. It worked for a couple of years but the Rebates has cought up with GM and with the New products out. GM decided to slow down production of their older products and not offer rebates. I am feeling this right now with the SUV's that we build at the plant that I work at. GM put us on a new schedule that cuts $250 a week out of my pay. We are also making 650+ less SUV's a week and we also had 3 weeks of laid off weeks with no production that is 7,600 SUV's each week that we are laid off.

So in short you missed the boat on the rebates. If GM doesn't think people are going to buy them then they will offer the rebates. But untill them you pay Full MSRP but if you want I might be able to help 2 people a month get $500 off

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:22 PM
^ ^ ^ so your saying that unless rebates are offered dealers cant come down on the price? still doesnt sound right to me, but hey your the dealer. lol

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:28 PM
WHAT THE MANUFACTURERS SHOULD DO IS LOVER THE MSRP ON ALL VEHCLES BY LIKE 2 GRAND AND MAKE THE REST OF THE "REBATES" DEALER CASH....AND AT MOST HAVE LIKE 1000 OR 1500 AS CUSTOMER REBATES...PEOPLE ARE GETTING SO USED TO THIS SAVE 10000 OFF STICKER AND SUCH AND 0% FINANCING...THEY HAVE TO SATART WEENING CUSTOMERS AWAY FROM IT....I MEAN YOU DONT SEE TOYOTAL OFFERING 6500 BUCKS IN REBATES ON THE AVALON...AND YET THE AVALON STILL SELLS.....

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:07 PM
wow, i dont know what ya'll are whinning about, feb of 04, i bought my 02 cavalier with 24k miles on it for 5300 bucks..... maybe my dealer is better than the ones you deal with?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

THE WORLDS FIRST GAY POTATO!:Amaze and delight your friends, dress it up, take it to the cinema or just sit and admire it's firm silky buttocks and when your bored of it .. lob it in a casserole dish with some onions and carrots.
Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:25 PM
hahah don't give in to evil dealers i paid 8k for a 04 muhahhahaha. and that was sitting there being a @!#$ to the salesman. I think it was the if you don't drop the price im going down the street to honda and buy a "me to i have a civic car".

Rice you say? Last time I check rice was a type of food. Not a car.
Tuesday, May 17, 2005 6:10 PM
But when did you buy your '04 Cavalier trust me i bought my wifes when it was a good deal got $5,000 off.

But Right now GM is in the position right now not to offer Rebates. They are not making the Cavalier for US sale so they don't have to push the Cavalier off the lot to keep the plant running. And if they offered the rebates to the Cavalier then it might steer them away from the Cobalts.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 6:51 PM
Quote:

PEOPLE ARE GETTING SO USED TO THIS SAVE 10000 OFF STICKER AND SUCH AND 0% FINANCING..

GOSH! nothing wrong with 10000 off of sticker! lol, wish i got the 0% though lol, this 6.5 or whatever it is, is killing me! not really lol but woulda been better if i didnt have to put 12k in interest lol...

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 8:25 PM
dude you are so not payng that much in interest...if you were i coulda retired to the carribean for awhile...lol
make yer appt yet????

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 8:30 PM
lol its actually about 10 grand...but whose counting! and nope, havnt made the appointment yet, i gotta soon though lol, i dont think theirs any pad left, i think im just gonna take a day off of work for the appointment, i dont like leavin my vehicle alone lol...but only problem is, they have to finish it that day, and if they dont, im taking your sport trac

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:42 AM
i thought you didnt like rice lol....

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:08 AM
go to a diffrent dealer, in person, tell them where the cav is and ask what they will sell it for. dealers can pull in a car from another lot. and some dealers will make u a cheap sale just so you come back the next time your looking for a car. ive had two diffrent dealers fighting over the same car before.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, May 18, 2005 3:45 PM
I understand a salesman needs to make a living. But here's my issue. I'm 20, I'll be 21 in July. I have better credit than about 85% of adults out there. and I make decent money (about $25k a year, working and going to school). If I go into a dealership to look at a car, if I decide to buy it, I'll be able to. I'm not a "waste of there time" like they assume I am. I don't like being treated like crap because I'm young, and alot of salesmen do that. I went into Kenny Ross Chevrolet in Pittsburgh about 2 months back, it was when the Cobalt SS just came out. I wanted to see it and drive it. I stood next to the car for about 20 minutes before someone came up to me. The guy that approached me had no clue about the car, he told me that it had 17 inch wheels, a 6 speed, and told me that the wing was functional...because when you back up you can see it and judge the car. He then told me that they are going to sell if for $1500 over sticker because they're so rare. Then I asked him if we could take it for a ride, he laughed and said no. I asked him why and he told me to "buy it and i can drive it all i want". He said they didn't want people beating on it. That's insane! Who buys a car at all without driving it, especially a car like the Cobalt SS which is designed for performance driving. I want to know how it stacks up against it's competition BEFORE i buy it.

My father was a car saleman for alot of years and I know 2 things, they don't get paid much, so I do understand them wanting to make the deal. and secondly, they have alot of room to work on those cars. MSRP is NOT necessarily the price that car will sell at.

Thursday, May 19, 2005 5:19 PM
^^^agreed that salesmen want to make the deal cuz thats where their pay comes from but hey if you think about it if a salesman is willing to drop the prices on the cars he/she sells he may go from selling 5 cars a month to 15 cars a month and in the process make up the lost wages that he lost from selling the cars at a lower prices. that way everyone wins (you get a cheaper car and the salesman makes his money and then some)...im trying to decide if im going to get a Colbalt SS right now but for the money it should be putting out a little more power like the mazda 6 (I REALLY WANT A 6!!!) it cost about the same thing and the V6 comes stock with 220hp and a sports shifter in the automatics (love sportshifter!!! )

http://img37.exs.cx/img37/2828/dacopy0wr.jpg
WWW.sinisterambitions.com

Friday, May 20, 2005 9:25 AM
hahahahaaaa 'The Idiot Salesman' i make it a point to look thru the classified section every Sunday for the ' new Chevy cavalier 2 door V6 ' hahha and i always call em and say im interested and ask em where did they get the swap done @ and when they say it came like that from Chevy i say 'OMG im on my way over right now !!!!!' but im a dick anyway just some fun w/ 'Idiot Salesman' , but of course u get the 'other' sailesman who ruin all the fun and just say 'oh that was a mis print' doesn't happen very often but it happens..... damn sailsman w/ knowledge

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/523131

Friday, May 20, 2005 1:42 PM
^^^
you are probably harrassing the poor receptionist

my cars msrp was 18,789 or so
technically paid 13k but i was 2k upside down on my trade in so paid 15k

Friday, May 20, 2005 2:18 PM
funny thing is...there's 3500 rebate on J's right now....so can the idea that there's no rebates on J's right now...

Friday, May 20, 2005 3:11 PM
hahaha no u press # 2 if u want sales , maby the salesmen should try being a recptionist lol

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/523131

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search