Was sick when I found out no more CAV's - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Was sick when I found out no more CAV's
Sunday, May 22, 2005 12:38 AM
I know I should have known it. But was totaly surprized when I found out Chev has stopped all production on the Cavaliers. I was going to buy a new one.
I have gone to all the dealers in the area, asking that they tell the factory to fire the drunks that are now designing cars. I just can't believe they have dropped all the good looking cars they used to make. What is up?? They lost a sale here.
I have had more Chevrolet salesmen say they can't figure it out either. One old guy said if he had Metro's and Cavaliers he would be selling cars. It just blows my mind.

Re: Was sick when I found out no more CAV's
Sunday, May 22, 2005 12:49 AM
I agree, Thats nuts! I LOVE CAVALIERS! I don't know what they are thinking. I hope they are prepared for a huge drop in sales, because i'm sure its coming.

((I don't have a lead-foot, But i wear steel-toes.))
Sunday, May 22, 2005 1:05 AM
so where have you guys been?
the cobalt replaces the cavalier which happened to be on a 23 year old platform.......

Sunday, May 22, 2005 7:51 AM

Sunday, May 22, 2005 8:05 AM
Now i havnt driven a cobalt, but i am sure it cant rattle anymore than the cheaply made cavalier ever did. In order words, its a step up for gm..

Sunday, May 22, 2005 8:15 AM
other*

Sunday, May 22, 2005 8:36 AM
base model for base model, the cavaliers are faster. Plus the mustang is on a.... 41 year old platform and still going strong, why not the great selling cavalier? for people with childern, dont let them fead this.

GM NEEDS TO PULL THEIR HEADS OUTTA THEIR ASSES AND MAKE WHAT PEOPLE WANT!!!

Thank you.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Sunday, May 22, 2005 8:47 AM
2.2L ECOTEC wrote:base model for base model, the cavaliers are faster. Plus the mustang is on a.... 41 year old platform and still going strong, why not the great selling cavalier? for people with childern, dont let them fead this.

Thank you.

mustang is going strong mainly because the originals were a historic car....

most people joining recently dont even know what a cimmaron is, which is one of the original j-bodies.

mustangs were more or less from the muscle car era, where ours were from the economy car craze.

theres an abundance of these cars out there, so it shouldnt be a worry at all.

while its sad to see things go, i dont get sick over it... thats a part of life fellas

Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:17 AM
themarin8r wrote:so where have you guys been?
the cobalt replaces the cavalier which happened to be on a 23 year old platform.......

Parts of it may be 23 years old, but it was redesigned in 1995 with a 3 inch wider track, and a 2 inch longer wheelbase. And thats just for starters.
Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:19 AM
2.2L ECOTEC wrote:base model for base model, the cavaliers are faster. Plus the mustang is on a.... 41 year old platform and still going strong, why not the great selling cavalier? for people with childern, dont let them fead this.

Thank you.

The Cavalier is selling great and it is cheaper than the Korean cars in Chevy's lineup. I doubt however, they are making much of a profit on it with the current rebates and incentives.
Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:20 AM
Bill Johns wrote:I know I should have known it. But was totaly surprized when I found out Chev has stopped all production on the Cavaliers. I was going to buy a new one.
I have gone to all the dealers in the area, asking that they tell the factory to fire the drunks that are now designing cars. I just can't believe they have dropped all the good looking cars they used to make. What is up?? They lost a sale here.
I have had more Chevrolet salesmen say they can't figure it out either. One old guy said if he had Metro's and Cavaliers he would be selling cars. It just blows my mind.

Go to autotrader.com or getauto.com. You can probably still find a brand new '04!

Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:22 AM
MikeGT wrote:Now i havnt driven a cobalt, but i am sure it cant rattle anymore than the cheaply made cavalier ever did. In order words, its a step up for gm..

Its funny, but I hear the same compaints about the Acura RSX over at their forums (rattles).

My Cavalier does not rattle. Mind you, I have the stock suspension and 15 inch wheels.
Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:34 AM
4 posts?

Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:45 AM
Joe Kidd wrote:
MikeGT wrote:Now i havnt driven a cobalt, but i am sure it cant rattle anymore than the cheaply made cavalier ever did. In order words, its a step up for gm..

Its funny, but I hear the same compaints about the Acura RSX over at their forums (rattles).

My Cavalier does not rattle. Mind you, I have the stock suspension and 15 inch wheels.

I had a 98sunfireGT and it rattled so much every little crack in the road the dash felt like it was going to come apart btw i dont have a acura, i have a yota'.

Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:48 AM

Quote:

most people joining recently dont even know what a cimmaron is, which is one of the original j-bodies.

Owned one for about 9 mths before a 1997 Benz came to a dead stop from 60 mph right in front of me. Driver of the Benz was going to make a left turn, first off missed the turn second off, no turn signal...

-
Back on topic...

GM also 86'd the Sunfire. So after this model year, no more J-Body assembly period.

Chevy owners have the Cobalt... Pontiac owners have... well... the only new model being introduced this year for Pontiac is the Solstice... not a direct replacement, but it'll have to do.

Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:55 AM
Erod wrote:4 posts?

You have made two posts and haven't said anything!

Face it, this forum is all but dead except for:

1. Traded-in the J! or
2. POS J or
3. So and so ripped me off or
4. I bought a Cobalt and it is the greatest car ever except maybe for the rear wing

People shouldn't complain about a few more posts.
Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:00 AM
This whole thread is dumb...we've known for like a year and a half that the Cavalier was being discontinued!

Joe Kidd wrote:

Parts of it may be 23 years old, but it was redesigned in 1995 with a 3 inch wider track, and a 2 inch longer wheelbase. And thats just for starters.

you can post all that in the same post newb. but anyway, that don't mean @!#$! IT WAS STILL ON THE EXACT SAME PLATFORM.

Just because you just love your Cavalier doesn't mean that everyone did. The interior is a piece of @!#$, the rear beam suspension is @!#$, and on and on. Get over your attachment and step into the present.

Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:36 AM
^^ so cavaliers are @!#$?
Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:59 AM
pacrossbow wrote:^^ so cavaliers are @!#$?

Apparently they are. I guess we need a new POS Cavalier forum. Are there any Cavalier enthusiasts here?

Funny, the Cobalt has a beam rear end and a bunch of cheap plastic in the interior...
(and it costs 55% more where I'm from.)
Sunday, May 22, 2005 11:15 AM

Thank you.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You REALLY think the mustang is on the same platform it was 41 years ago?
are you that retarded?
ever hear the term fox bodies? SN95? they are on a new platform now i believe as well.

Joe Kidd wrote:

still the same antiquated platform
just because the body is different, doesnt mean the rest of it is better

Sunday, May 22, 2005 11:17 AM

Thank you.

Ummm, no. The Mustang is on an ALL NEW platform. From 1964.5-1973, the Mustang was essentially on the same platform, and based off of a Falcon. From 1974-1978, it was a warmed over Pinto. From 1979-2004, it was a worked over Ford Fairmont platform. From 2005+ the Mustang for the first time ever is on it's OWN platform with no economy car underpinnings. Granted it shares some Fox-body parts and uses a bit of design architecture from the Lincon LS/Ford Thunderbird platform, but it is essentilly all new.

Meanwhile the Cavalier has been on basically the same j-body platform for it's entire life. Which in itsself is a smaller, cheaper version of the old Citation platform. Bet ya didn't know that one, did'ja???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, May 22, 2005 11:28 AM
I drove an SS yesterday on a track....very firm, and no noise at all up to 40mph....held a hairpin turn at that speed...the Ion Redline slid out in the same turn...

Sunday, May 22, 2005 12:36 PM
89Sunbird wrote:I drove an SS yesterday on a track....very firm, and no noise at all up to 40mph....held a hairpin turn at that speed...the Ion Redline slid out in the same turn...

Whatever, it (the almighty SS) is still a grocery getter with bolt-ons. Hardly RSX material. 10 years from now everyone here will be saying what a POS the Cobalt is.
Sunday, May 22, 2005 12:57 PM
Joe Kidd wrote:
89Sunbird wrote:I drove an SS yesterday on a track....very firm, and no noise at all up to 40mph....held a hairpin turn at that speed...the Ion Redline slid out in the same turn...

Whatever, it (the almighty SS) is still a grocery getter with bolt-ons. Hardly RSX material. 10 years from now everyone here will be saying what a POS the Cobalt is.

You joined today. Please stop talking out of your ass. The Cobalt SS is NOT a grocery getter, and you actually drive one, you'll know that. There are alot of people on this forum that don't like the new Cobalt SS, but it's hardly a grocery getter.

RSX material??? give me a break, if i wanted an Civic I'd buy a civic. I'm going to get flamed for that comment, but so be it.

It's a bad idea to come onto a forum and make enemies the first day...and you did, so STFU.

The Cavalier served it's purpose, but Chevrolet and GM has been left behind in the Sport Compact craze, and they were not going to be able to catch up in the Cavalier/Sunfire. For the same reason that Dodge dropped the Neon name on the SRT-4.... "It's still a Neon.." that's exactly what would have been said.

The name Cavalier is synonymous with cheap economy cars. GM needed something else to catch up with companies like Toyota, Honda, and Dodge. The Cobalt SS is just the ticket.... bash it all you want Joe Kidd, it'll blow your doors off.

Sunday, May 22, 2005 1:12 PM
It is a "grocery getter with bolt ons", not a "grocery getter". Do you understand now?

You can put 18" wheels on it, S/C it, but SS badges on it, whatever. It is still a Cobalt.

My Grandma drives a Cobalt so I think that they are kinda neat, but it is still an entry level car with a beam axle.

Sorry if you don't like my post, but I am a fellow J Enthusiast, and I am entitled to my opinion. Oh well.

I couldn't give a crap if an overpriced Cobalt blows my doors off. I don't street race or beat on my car at the track. I am quite happy with my J, my insurance premiums, and my monthly payment.
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search