Cav vs all other econo-box cars - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cav vs all other econo-box cars
Monday, April 30, 2007 11:43 AM
I have an 03 eco Cav...

I have driven/been in the following new models ... matrix, corolla, versa, sx4, rondo, neon, civic, sentra, imprezza...

For the price tag I paid (11,000 Can) for my 03 cav... non of those cars are nearly as powerful, nearly as wallet friendly, and very very few are are as good on gas as my 03 cav. And the majority of them have cheap @!#$ty interior like my cav. I will admit that the awd feature would be nice...

Quite frankly, I am happy with my purchase. And When my cav dies one day.... I hope I can find another car as cost effective as this one.

Just thought i would throw that out there.

Re: Cav vs all other econo-box cars
Monday, April 30, 2007 11:59 AM
too bad most won't agree,but the cav haters are everywhere including the JBO,I say screw em' all!!

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, April 30, 2007 12:05 PM
32mpg, consistent top 10 finishes in autox, $10,300US out the door.

Works for me.

-Chris

Monday, April 30, 2007 1:28 PM
id take a civic over a cavalier. imo they are much much better than a cav.

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:00 PM
Too bad they're priced too high for most students to afford.

Personal opinion, they're no better or worse than cav's... I've had a civic die due to oil starvation at 20,000 kms, and I paid $18,950 for it. I got a toyota 4 Runner pickup, and the frame bent on that within a couple weeks... I got a 86 Sunbird SE 4 dr... no major problems with it other than rust and a crappy battery and Alternator...

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:08 PM
went auto xing yesterday, my car was $7500, i placed 6th, darkstars placed 8th i think. and we both beat BMW's and we were even beating a few subaru's. its kinda funny that we spend a third or ever a quarter the price they do but can still compete. i love it.

Monday, April 30, 2007 5:11 PM
Vincent Morris wrote:went auto xing yesterday, my car was $7500, i placed 6th, darkstars placed 8th i think. and we both beat BMW's and we were even beating a few subaru's. its kinda funny that we spend a third or ever a quarter the price they do but can still compete. i love it.

thats because the chevys have torque. you dont need a 180mph top speed in autox. you rarly go past 60mph. so the best cars are the ones with quick torque around the corners. The cavalier is excellent for that. The cobalt is as well. I've never autocrossed in my SS, but imagine it would fair pretty well.

Monday, April 30, 2007 9:40 PM
Quote:

I have driven/been in the following new models ... matrix, corolla, versa, sx4, rondo, neon, civic, sentra, imprezza...

See, you mostly listed IMPORTS which is why they're so hyped. Honda, Toyota, Kia, Nissan, etc... all play on the "Best gas mileage and more room" which only depends on who says it. I like my Sunfire, I prefer it over most other cars. However many people get a Civic and believe it's God's gift to the car world and then they get overhyped. I gave up on listening to "expert" opinions when I learned they were almost all BS.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:49 PM
James Larsen wrote:However many people get a Civic and believe it's God's gift to the car world and then they get overhyped. I gave up on listening to "expert" opinions when I learned they were almost all BS.

Quoted For Truth.
I find my Cavalier to be no worse than any of the other cars in it's class.

-2003 Cavalier LS, 4 door.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:01 PM
i think cavaliers are well worth the money but i dont care for imports

boost is like ice cream, there's always room for it
Wednesday, May 02, 2007 7:38 AM
i love my cav. and i agree with you vince. we spend about a third less on our cars and can still compete. but thats autoX. think about a $1000 civic HB shell. with a type-r swap that costed him $4000. IHE would have him at about $4500 and it would be a 12 second quarter mile car. so it really just depends on opinion. to me a honda is an easy easy way to make a lot of power and run fast quarter times. but when people see a cavalier doing that....you get more attention and turn more heads. now with toyota and nissan and all them. toyota can't do anything for making power. even when bringing the tc out it couldnt. and nissan all they have is the 350z.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 8:25 AM
toyota can't do ne thing for making power what about the supra they are quick and bashin yota ur bashing chevrolet's import brother. nissan also has the GT-R 34 skyline also the R-33 , 240 sx, 180 sx and silvia no other car can range rpm wise as a mazda rx-7 or rx-8 with the rotary's thier all great cars in thier own aspects.but liek said you can't find any of these cars or the price of a brand new cavy i love my 96 z .

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:08 AM
I guess I can't complain either since my car was a grad day present. I got it in May of 05 with 43,XXXkm on it since it was used. It's now May of 07 with 128,XXX on her and she's still running as strong as the day I got her. I may get ragged on a lot for driving a "crapalier" but it gets me where I need to go with decent gas mileage. I hope my next vehicle is as reliable as my cav has been.
Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:57 AM
Cavaliers are nice cars and are decent looking, but you miss out on some of the niceties that you get with imports; quality interiors most prominently.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 6:56 AM
bradsk88 wrote:Cavaliers are nice cars and are decent looking, but you miss out on some of the niceties that you get with imports; quality interiors most prominently.

pretty much.

Thursday, May 03, 2007 10:39 AM
not to mention the cost of repairing an import is decent too and they easier to repair yourself if you choose to imo

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:17 PM
I like my 04 Vl sport coupe , but if i had a few more $$$ at the time i would have bought a matrix or a corolla xrs instead. But really most econo cars are the same except for Kia who was junk 3 years ago, but i have heard they improved significantly.
Friday, May 04, 2007 5:13 PM
my two cents, i have two cavs and they were the best purchase i have ever made. i bought my 04 new off the lot for 10k us and i love it. never a mechanical problem and good looking compared to the japp cars out there

2004 Cavalier, 2.2 ecotec, 5spd getrag
do you ever notice that the ones who talk the loudest have the least to talk about?
Saturday, May 05, 2007 3:03 PM
ok yea your right about the toyota supra. but seriously thats not an econobox car. nor is the skyline. a 240sx is a damn dog unless you seriously MOD it. i had one so i know first hand. a silvia is a japan only car so theres no comparison here. and the skyline is basically a japan only car too. there are only a few over here in the states. yea an import is cheaper and stuff to fix but seriously think about like maybe a VW. its an imported car, kinda an econobox. and they break down TREMENDOUSLY! my cousin has an 06 VW jetta and in the past year its been in the shop 11 times. thats a little bit rediculous, so all in all i think us cav owners came out on top. cheaper than most imports out there. better bang for the buck.
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 10:13 AM
i just love being able 2 open my hood and honda owners get pissed be cause my engine is bigger

Yeah 2.4

13.1 @ 115
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 3:52 PM
stock for stock, econo-box for econo-box, j bodies are among some of the best. for the most part they are easy to maintain, user friendly, nice lookin, quick little cars. maybe not as user friendly as some other imports, but they're definately not unfriendly. its just easier for some people to hate on them than it is to fight all the haters. and there are a lot of haters. lol.

Brett Basham wrote:to me a honda is an easy easy way to make a lot of power and run fast quarter times. but when people see a cavalier doing that....you get more attention and turn more heads.

thats exactly how i feel about it too. whats the fun in doing something that everyone else does?

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:19 PM
jeff heyman wrote: no other car can range rpm wise as a mazda rx-7 or rx-8 with the rotary's.

I just had to point this out and add in my own two cents. Rotary's aren't even a good comparison due to their HIGH unreliability. Yes they can make power, but for the cost to repair, and how often they go out, its barely even competition. What was it, a few months ago when Mazda had all their RX-8's recalled to put in entierly new engines due to vacuum issues? When the RX7 was big, that car had overheating issues and fire issues due due to their engines. So they CAN make power, but for how long is the question before it blows out, or you have to replace it, or it catches fire and burns down your neighborhood??
Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:41 PM
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:id take a civic over a cavalier. imo they are much much better than a cav.

No offense but sell your cav and buy an import!

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Wednesday, May 09, 2007 7:20 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:
StrippedCav98 (Now Quotable) wrote:id take a civic over a cavalier. imo they are much much better than a cav.

No offense but sell your cav and buy an import!

no offense but... that was an ignorant statement

Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:09 AM
LMFAO!!! The mere fact that anyone would think a cavalier/cobalt is better than a car built in Japan is hilarious. Because we all know what great pride the UAW takes in building cars right? I'm quite surprised that some of you have had cavaliers last as long as they have. Any time I talk to a cavalier/sunfire owner it is always them complaining about things always breaking on the car and how the quality is crap on them. Mind you these are people that strictly follow the factory scheduled maintenance for the vehicle.

Some of you guys can't even spell or use close to proper grammar so i wouldn't expect that you'd be able to make a wise car decision. If your car choice is limited solely by how much money you're able to spend on one then i'd suggest buying a used japanese car over a new cavalier. I'm not saying they're a bad car because I have never owned one. However, I would strongly suggest taking the information you read in Consumer Reports and applying it to your real-life car purchase. Theres a reason Honda and Toyota are rated as the top automobile manufacturers when it comes to consumer satisfaction, reliability and resale value. How much do a 2004 Corolla or Civic go for? anywhere from maybe 10k with high miles to upwards of 16k depending on options. And here we have the gentleman that is bragging about buying a 2004 Cavalier for $7500 dollars. You get what you pay for. I'd much rather have put that 7500 towards another car.

What bragging rights do you think you have when you come in 6th and 8th in a field of cars in AutoX? I don't care who you're competing against. If you didn't take the win for it then you HAVE NO BRAGGING RIGHTS! That's like saying you're dating a girl who's "not bad for a fat chick"

I know my opinion is biased because I only drive/buy Japanese cars, but I have owned several American ones and had great success with them. A couple of my friends have owned cavaliers/sunfires and had nothing but problems with them. Needless to say, cavaliers/sunfires certainly have their place in the automotive world. Without them mechanics wouldn't be able to put food on the table for their families. Now don't get me wrong I do like American cars(Corvette, Viper, S7/S7R, etc.) its just that people need to realize where their car stands. I certainly wouldn't compare a cavalier to a BMW when it comes to handling, acceleration, braking, well.....pretty much anything!

I eagerly await the responses gentlemen.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search