Help on buying a car. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help on buying a car.
Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:45 PM
Well, I have a 96 sunfire se with the 2.2 ohv 5 speed. It has its fair share of problems. The most recent is a coolant leak im pretty sure is coming from the water pump. I found a 99 z24 around an hour from here. Its a 5 speed, ld9 with 221k kms on the dash (about 130 miles). The trans was replaced about 4000 kms ago by one with 160,000 km and is very strong, the engine was replaced before the current owner bought the car, he is unsure of the actual mileage. It was in a front end crash bending the frame, hood, fender breaking the rad., and front bumper. I want to buy it and do a 2.2 to 2.4 engine swap. What are some things I should look/litsen for when the engine is running? The car cant be driven because of the damage to the radiator. I went to see it yesterday, and it sounded good, steady idle ect. no knocking or unusual sounds. There was a little squeek coming from the belt area. If I bought this car, I would be selling as much as possible but keeping the engine/trans and whatever else is needed for the swap. I plan on replacing most or all the accesories (alternator, water pump, ect.) with new(er) units to save myself from future problems. What should I look for? How can I tell if the timing chain ect. is bad? I know thats a common problem with these engines. Thanks!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search