is this a scam? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
is this a scam?
Friday, May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
if the sender of this is on here no offense just looking out for myself, this is the email that I recieved

Hello

I am interested in buying the 17x7 centerline storms hat you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a certified cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,

Raymond Griffiths

Re: is this a scam?
Friday, May 16, 2008 10:45 PM
My vote goes towards yes it's a scam... the way they put their sentences together is kind of odd. "Yours interestingly"?? "Placed for sell" "I expect this timely enough" etc.
Friday, May 16, 2008 10:58 PM
i second that, identity theft, he was interested in everything but what you were selling
Saturday, May 17, 2008 4:56 AM
most definately

Saturday, May 17, 2008 5:56 AM
scam fam

Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:13 AM
his next email will say:

Hello Friend,

My client has already had a certified check made out for an amount higher than the asking price for the above mentioned wheels in the amount of $7,000.00

Please take this certified check, and sent the 17" centerline storm wheels along with the balance in a timely manner.

Yours interestingly,

Raymond Griffiths

f*cker

Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:07 AM
Thanks guys I figured so, this si the only place I have them listed so theres some shady f7cks on here I guess.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:32 PM
I say we get together and beat Raymond Griffiths with hammers or something.

Quote:

Watching you parade around my bedroom in a thong was a little like watching sea lions mate.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 10:29 PM
got this today on the J-bom forums....

Hello

I am interested in buying the 15" steelies that you have placed for sell now, and I would want to enquire about the present condition of the above mentioned, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price as I will be paying with a money order or certified cheque.

Lastly, please forward to me your full company's (or house address, telephone and fax) details as I will subsequently prefer reaching you through these facilities.

Yours interestingly,

Raymond Griffiths

Should you need to reply to me, Please get back in touch with your
details to me at:oladey84@yahoo.com for a quick reply.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:04 PM
haha, nice...

Sunday, May 18, 2008 4:58 AM
LEEEEEEEROOOOOY JEEEEEENKINS!!!!!!

Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:52 PM
i just always think anything that can be written in a check can be sent in cash either cash in hand or through pay pal. Checks can easily be canceled.

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:43 AM
^^^^ that's why I've started mailing payment via money order (good as cash) when doing business with people on this site.... it makes them less worried..... although my personal checks always clear...

also.... what is it with scammers and poor grammar and just plain messed up spelling?

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:28 PM
man tag him along and have him send you a check, i'd frame that bitch on the wall. then send the guy an email with a pic of his check framed on the wall and call him out as a scamming little bitch lol.

as far as scammers and poor grammar. most are foreign and dont understand the language to well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, May 19, 2008 1:52 PM
sounds legit to me. id send him your cc # also

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:47 AM
Kind of hard to fake a certified check...

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:54 AM
Tell him to sent the 7 grand via money order instead

What I don't understand about these certified check scams is how they end up working...... If I went to the bank and the check bounced.... I'de just be like.... screw it... give me the check back then.... and mail it back to him coated with smallpox instead of the stuff he ordered.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 5:59 AM
firemachine69 wrote:Kind of hard to fake a certified check...

No it isn't. Nor is it hard for those people to fake money orders.

That's the key to this scam. They look legit so the bank gives you the money. It can take a few weeks for them to be processed through the system and determined to be counterfeit, and by then you've already sent off the money legitimately.

When the cheque is flagged as a fraud, the bank will take the money back from you. They don't care where you got the cheque, all they know is that you cashed it and it turned out fake.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:39 PM
lol, you said "cheque"....... silly canadian.......

I've had the same email from people wanting my stuff..... and not once have they sent me anything!!! I must sound to eager or something.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:28 PM
firemachine69 wrote:Kind of hard to fake a certified check...

yeah not hard at all it happens all the time. and chances are its an out of country check which thru most banks will take two weeks to clear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:23 PM
i wanna see someone actually do this and like snds said frame it up lol

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:25 PM
lol i got this same damn email when i posted a ad on craigslist... same person too

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:30 AM
I got 3 of those emails...

Deleted them....

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!
Monday, May 26, 2008 4:55 PM
id ask him to proceed with this of transactions and id cash the check and as soon it get cleared in my account of my bank den i could send my product he would need of it.. lol
!!

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:53 AM
I don't really know what you just said... but just because the money is in your account, doesn't mean the cheque won't be discovered to be fraudulant in a couple weeks. When that happens, the bank will take the money back. You can't argue that they cleared it and the money is now yours.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search