Thinking about buying another J - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking about buying another J
Monday, March 21, 2011 1:32 PM
So, the past couple weeks, with gas prices on the rise, i've been thinking about buying another J after my sister moves out and frees up the driveway space. The jeep breaks nearly every time i wheel which isn't good where it's my daily driver at the moment, it gets about 13mpg... and gas is $1.20 a litre right now.
That, and i really miss my cavalier, i loved that car, and it required a surprising lack of maintenance.

I'm going to probably buy one... but i'm not sure what to buy. A gen 3 j-body for sure... but what...
95-99 2.2?
95-99 Z24/GT?
00-02 2.2?
00-02 Z24/GT?
or
03-05 sunfire
03-05 cavalier.

So many choices...

^-- WTF!?! That's not a J!

Re: Thinking about buying another J
Monday, March 21, 2011 2:41 PM
What do you people think would be the best choice?

Monday, March 21, 2011 4:32 PM
Anything with an eco... but thats just me.

Monday, March 21, 2011 5:20 PM
the 2200 is a tank and gets good gas mileage. but it's dog slow. if it's just for cruising without worrying about performance, I'd go with a '98-'02 Sunfire with a 2200

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, March 21, 2011 5:32 PM
An eco would definitely be a wise decision... my last on had the 2200sfi, was very reliable but could have had more in the power department.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:45 AM
2002 cavy base but do the eco swap.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:15 PM
00-02 LS Sport
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:10 AM
Jake DeHaven wrote:00-02 LS Sport

Definitely a wise decision... too bad around here i've only ever seen 2 of those... one of which is mint and i honestly don't think buddy ever plans on selling it, and the other, every panel is dented, the lip kit is half ripped off, and every bumper is cracked, scraped, and dented.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:11 AM
it really depends on what your budget is. if you're only looking to spend about $1000, you're gonna find yourself in a 95-99 with 175k miles on it. if you want to get something new enough to have an eco, it'll probably cost closer to $3-4000. figure out what your limit is first, then narrow down your choices from there.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:54 PM
Adam L wrote:
Jake DeHaven wrote:00-02 LS Sport

Definitely a wise decision... too bad around here i've only ever seen 2 of those... one of which is mint and i honestly don't think buddy ever plans on selling it, and the other, every panel is dented, the lip kit is half ripped off, and every bumper is cracked, scraped, and dented.

yup it's a hit or miss kind of thing... but good luck on your search for a J
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:32 PM
Get whatever is cheap. Remember, it's just going to be a gas saver/beater for you. No need to spend a whole bunch of money on it.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:56 PM
can get 03+ J's down here in NS cheap, should be able to find one in NB for a decent price i'd think, i picked up my 03 for 1500 bucks

Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:23 AM
Zaairman wrote:Get whatever is cheap. Remember, it's just going to be a gas saver/beater for you. No need to spend a whole bunch of money on it.

It'll be a daily driver but my jeep will actually be the beater... the jeep is a money pit. Plus, i'd like to have something nice anyway... i'm not one of those people that can just leave things alone and stock lol... plus, my last daily driver was lowered, 17s, exhaust, etc.

dxdean3 wrote:can get 03+ J's down here in NS cheap, should be able to find one in NB for a decent price i'd think, i picked up my 03 for 1500 bucks

Ya, i've been browsing kijiji and every one i've seen on there has been within my budget for the most part.. except the odd one where people want double what it's actually worth.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:55 PM
Evan Undead (The Black Pearl) wrote:the 2200 is a tank and gets good gas mileage. but it's dog slow. if it's just for cruising without worrying about performance, I'd go with a '98-'02 Sunfire with a 2200

you can buy mine if you want =]
Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:23 PM
if I didnt already have my sedan for a daily driver, I'd think about it lol

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Friday, March 25, 2011 6:12 PM
I'd say an '03 - '05 Sunfire or Cavalier.

Personally, if I were to ever get another J for a daily driver, it would probably end up being an '03-'05 Base Cavalier Sedan.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 8:12 AM
I think i've decided to go with the 03-05... now i just need to decide what comes first... new car, or steel bumper and winch for the jeep lol. Although, i will be browsing i can't actually buy another until about the end of June. My driveway has a max of a 4 car limit, when i had 5 in here with my cavalier it was impossible to situate it to get all cars out without having to move another... so i'm waiting for my sister to get her Sunfire out of the driveway.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 9:24 AM
I'm in the same boat. Looking at an 03-05 5 speed J, because gas down here in Sydney is 1.32/L. I was considering an L67 W-body, but I don't see gas going down anytime soon, and I want to learn to drive stick. I too have been scouring kijiji like a fiend trying to find a descent one, and like you guys, have seen people asking 2-3x more for their cars then they're worth. Point out any you may see that may be listed locally and not on kijiji, I'm not afraid of driving between provinces to find a good deal.

----------------------
Got Torque?
2000 Grand Prix GT Coupe
Soon to have another J
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search