Use the "clear" button @ the gas pump - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Use the "clear" button @ the gas pump
Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:38 PM
I received a forward stating that if you use a credit/debit card to purchase gas at the pump, you should push the "clear" button after your transaction is complete. If you don't push the "clear" button after your transaction is complete, your information will be stored until the next person swipes their card. This means someone could easily steal your credit/debit card information. Simply push the "clear" button after the transaction is complete i.e. after your receipt prints out. It's as simple as that and could help you avoid costly credit/debit card fraud.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:39 PM

Re: Use the "clear" button @ the gas pump
Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. Ill pass the word locally.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Re: Use the
Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:42 PM
http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clearbutton.asp

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:06 PM
Interesting link Brandon. I'm not sure if I fully believe it though. When I push the "clear" button at the Citgo I always go to... it does something different then if you just wait for your receipt to print. To each their own though. It's not like pushing the "clear" button is going to hurt anything.

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:00 AM
BoltZ DesignZ wrote:http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/clearbutton.asp

Thanks I love people who look up stuff on Snopes instead of forward me junk emails. If only my Father would pay attention...

Incidentally, there isn't even a clear button at the gas station I use..

Monday, May 16, 2011 10:23 AM
J TO ENVY wrote:Interesting link Brandon. I'm not sure if I fully believe it though. When I push the "clear" button at the Citgo I always go to... it does something different then if you just wait for your receipt to print. To each their own though. It's not like pushing the "clear" button is going to hurt anything.

I'm not sure if its the same everywhere but when I've had to make two gas purchases in a row (car & lawn mower/ two cars at the station at once). the pumps deny the card on the second swipe and I have to go inside and have it swiped there.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, May 16, 2011 8:24 PM
Bolt the denial of the card on the 2nd use might be that if u have less than 75.00 on your debit(at my local stores) u do have to go inside.I am not sure if all the quote big name places use the same practice,and this might apply to credit cards as well.Or it could be to prevent someone with stolen card and they might(but not likely) check your id to varify you are the card holder(NEVER had this asked for).Very few stores check your card and ask for your drivers license to verify the two to assure against this.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:42 PM
John Lenko wrote:

Thanks I love people who look up stuff on Snopes instead of forward me junk emails. If only my Father would pay attention...

^lol.
I know it is BS, but I automatically do press clear just to satisfy my false sense of security.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:25 AM
I use cash most of the time because the station I use most often is 5cents cheaper If you use cash. But when I do use my card I'm usually getting cigs also so I go inside.

But I do appreciate the info

Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:16 PM
Only button I push is the "no receipt" button . Seems that so far I've done alright.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, May 23, 2011 10:04 PM
Totally not true. And I know this because I have to run my card twice to fill up my truck.....

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles

Sunday, June 19, 2011 6:39 PM
Zaairman wrote:Totally not true. And I know this because I have to run my card twice to fill up my truck.....

that statement alone sucks lol

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Sunday, June 19, 2011 6:52 PM
Around here the pumps clear themselves after about 30 seconds once you stop pumping (unless you're paying inside) then it stays on until the cashier clears it.

^-- WTF!?! That's not a J!
Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:14 PM
John Lenko wrote:

My parents just sent me one that had a link to the snopes article to prove it was true!

If you actually clicked the link, the snopes page opened and it was the article about the message.

But then if you actually read the page, it said the message was totally untrue.

I cannot seem to find a way to not be amazed by how quickly people are getting losing intelligence on a daily basis.

sig not found
Sunday, July 10, 2011 10:00 PM
I've seen that before... they use Snopes as a reference, so everyone keeps forwarding it, without ever checking to see that it's actually false.. and so the degeneration of email forwarding continues..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search