Lost key.. ugh.. - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lost key.. ugh..
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:18 PM
Ugh, alright, so i apologize if this is a question that is not allowed to be asked on this forum, i don't remember reading anywhere that it wasn't.

But i have a 97 Cavalier that i race dirt track, when i got it, i only got one key with it... well, i left it sitting on my desk and my dad decided it needed to be organized and now the key is missing, though he claims never touching it... anyway... I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to get the car running so i can start it with another key or screw driver, i don't care how... I essentially need to steal my own car lol

The car has security but it was annoying so i already have the steering column apart and have the security wire cut so i don't believe that will be an issue... if anyone has any info let me know.

NOTE: This car is NOT road legal, the doors don't open, etc.... please don't think i'm trying to get information on how to steal a car, i just need to be able to get the car in my signature so i can drive it again.

96 2.2L, #66 on the dirt track

Re: Lost key.. ugh..
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:46 PM
Go to the dealership with the VIN.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:59 PM
Yank out the ignition and hook up a push button start.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:11 PM
someone tried to steal my grand am once and jacked up the ignition. so my step dad took the tumblers out of the ignition. voila, no key needed.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:21 PM
ask everyone local with a j-body to try their key in it. its like a 1 in 8 chance of the key working in the door and i don't know what the odds were for the ignition, but i was able to start my MIL's old cavalier with my cavalier key.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:36 PM
BoltZ DesignZ wrote:ask everyone local with a j-body to try their key in it. its like a 1 in 8 chance of the key working in the door and i don't know what the odds were for the ignition, but i was able to start my MIL's old cavalier with my cavalier key.

This

Or, like mentioned earlier, go to GM with the VIN and they can cut you one from that. Probably need to bring your vehicle registration though

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:40 PM
BoltZ DesignZ wrote:ask everyone local with a j-body to try their key in it. its like a 1 in 8 chance of the key working in the door and i don't know what the odds were for the ignition, but i was able to start my MIL's old cavalier with my cavalier key.

while the keys do work in different doors, the ignition cyl is a lot more sensitive. i've matched up my key to another j's door before, but it wouldn't work in the ignition. the tumblers in there are a lot more precice, specifically for this reason.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:23 AM
figure out what wires need power to start it and make it run, ditch the key switch, and put a real race car switch panel in it with a push button for the starter and switches for things like the ignition, ecm, fuel pump, and cooling fan.. maybe even make one with the battery shut off switch mounted in it, too, if the track will allow it.
another benefit of doing this is that you can get rid of the locking feature on the column- which should be disabled in any sort of race car, any ways..
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:17 AM
Brian Groza wrote:Go to the dealership with the VIN.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:59 PM
Well, i tried my Sunfire's key in it and it wouldn't work... i wouldn't know with the door's as they're welded shut lol.

My dad works with the guy i bought the car off of and he only gave me one key for it, so i got thinking, he asked him if he had another key for it. He said he had a cavalier key laying around but he's got a few of them and it didn't work in any of them, it was the other key to this car, plus it came with a remote... not that it will do anything lol.

But, i got another key now, and i attached this one to my sunfire's and jeep's keys so i won't lose it...

Thanks for all the helpful advice, i was ready to go get a push button start and rig it up, but guess i don't need it now... i have no problems hacking up the wiring in this car anyway lol.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:01 PM
bradsk88 wrote:

This

Or, like mentioned earlier, go to GM with the VIN and they can cut you one from that. Probably need to bring your vehicle registration though

Need registration eh, that may have been an issue hahaha. Not really sure where it is, only paid $120 for the car, and i don't have the plates or the regi as it was never going to see road again lol.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:09 AM
if you provide a title, you can get a key made as well... GM Dealers know not every GM Vehicle is currently registered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search