warning check ur car out good and u get what u paid for!!!! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
warning check ur car out good and u get what u paid for!!!!
Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:35 PM
well guys i bought a 96 cavi 2.2 5 speed few months ago attempted theft that was an epic failure turned car bashing, they smashed the non tilt column and windshield and tore the seats... well i bought the car for 350 or something like that dont remember now but it was ridiculously low, anyways, when i got the car the guy who had it wired up like 6 fog lights, well i was at school and they had a z24 bumper i picked up for free and installed on the car well only put 2 of the fogs on temporarily until i got the z24 lights and harness to put in car (btw anyone have any???), well noticed then the wiring was crappy decided to redo as soon as i had time well all has been fine until now, i did a 2004 dash swap last night, noticed how thin the wires were for fogs and decided i would fix them this weekend but needed car running for today, well got everything done and drove last night to test all my lights everything worked well went to thanksgiving today and this evening turned on fogs and damn near caught my car on FIRE!!!!! wtf turn on fogs and suddenly car is filled with smoke from dash so in an effort to stop potential fire, tore the dash pad off and put mild fire out before going under hood and ripping the burning wires out of car so now i need the dash trim pieces small price to pay for not catching entire car on fire, anyways i learned my lesson do not procrastinate and you def get what you pay for lol.... anyone have any of these parts????
1. z24 fogs with brackets
2. wiring harness and dimmer / fog light switch for above
3. radio bezel 00+
4. dash pad

Re: warning check ur car out good and u get what u paid for!!!!
Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:56 PM
I can get all of above mentioned parts from my local yard... just got two z's in there, one 97 and one 00+ Pm me with exactly what parts you need, how much of the harness & what parts you need from what year and maybe I can make it happen
Friday, November 25, 2011 5:55 AM
Good F'ing god man, use a period once in a while.

Attempting to read that abomination of a post is tougher than wiring up fogs correctly.

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:08 AM
I just got a head ache trying to decipher what you wrote.

That is a prime example why I won't leave previous owner hack jobs in a car. Thankfully my j was unmolested when I bought it but both of my DSMs had some previous owner hackage.

Hopefully you get it all wooed and and it didn't cause any damage to the dash harness.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:38 AM
i believe i found it...... electrical tape! previous owner twisted a positive together wrapped once with electrical tape, and twisted a negative and wrapped the two together appears to be the source, no damage to main harness at all. car still running but going to pull the dash completely out and check everything after seeing that. makes me wish i had bought the 03 sunfire for 500 2 months ago. my apologies bout the ongoing sentence above half asleep and jacked up on adrenaline after car almost going up in flames
Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:01 AM
josh carr wrote:i believe i found it...... electrical tape! previous owner twisted a positive together wrapped once with electrical tape, and twisted a negative and wrapped the two together appears to be the source, no damage to main harness at all. car still running but going to pull the dash completely out and check everything after seeing that. makes me wish i had bought the 03 sunfire for 500 2 months ago. my apologies bout the ongoing sentence above half asleep and jacked up on adrenaline after car almost going up in flames

Mistake number 1 - The thing obviously didn't have a fuse, else it wouldn't have caught fire/burned the wiring.
Mistake number 2 - Wiring a high current circuit like that without using a relay. And a fuse.
Mistake number 3 - Turning them on if you had a feeling something is wrong with it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:51 PM
lol no fuse but has relay checked over everything. gonna start rewiring everything tomorrow afternoon with a new fuse, only question what would be a good size fuse to use with fog lights?
Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:18 PM
J03Y wrote:Good F'ing god man, use a period once in a while.

Attempting to read that abomination of a post is tougher than wiring up fogs correctly.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 9:25 PM
josh carr wrote:lol no fuse but has relay checked over everything. gonna start rewiring everything tomorrow afternoon with a new fuse, only question what would be a good size fuse to use with fog lights?

Depends on the current draw of the lights. Figure out how many amps they use, and go 125% of that, or the next available size up from that. (Such as, if 125% is 13 amps, use a 15 amp fuse).

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:09 PM
ok thank you for the info.
Monday, November 28, 2011 12:37 AM
So you contributed to/didn't correct the known problem, and yet you are still complaining about a $350 car??? Hmmmm....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, November 28, 2011 6:58 PM
whoa whoa whoa i did not contribute to anything, and i am not complaining about the car. the problems with the fog lights were found after everything went wrong no big deal easy fix. not complaining about the car hell its been a great car. 278,000 and still going no problems, so what was the point in ur post exactly? just curious...... hmmmmm......
Monday, November 28, 2011 7:02 PM
Well according to your fustercluck of a post you wired up two of the foglights even after knowing how hacked the job was beforehand. And your "you get what you pay for " comment certainly sounded like bitching to me.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:30 PM
ok i deserve that one the post was jumbled i get that its been stated before not bitching about the car simply stating a truth, not bitching actually enjoy the challenge, and when i swapped the dash the night before and saw how crappy the wiring seemed i assumed there was a fuse due to the fact that there is a relay.... no big deal no harm no foul. i been working on cars since i was 13, i enjoy fixin it and if i didnt i wouldnt buy these cheap ass cars to fix up... simple. again not bitchin, and not mad at anyone for any comments or anything like that hell this site is EXTREMELY helpful, as is everyone on it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search