NEED HELP!!!!!!! Trying to identify my crate motor - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
NEED HELP!!!!!!! Trying to identify my crate motor
Friday, December 30, 2011 7:51 AM
I am in desperate need of help. Ok I'll give you guys the situation. I have a 1974 VW Thing and have already put a L61 from an 03 cav in it but have since replaced it with a crate motor that I purchased from a guy in cali that got the motor from a shop that was buying them in bulk to install in sand cars. The motor looked identical to the L61 I already had so I bought it. The motor was a long block and did not come with any intake or exhaust. The motor did come with computer ( which I believe is a mefi 4a), fuel rail, injectors and injector harness. The reason for the swap was I bought a boosted 03 cav with a shot motor for all the turbo stuff to use on the Thing. So as in usual fashion I have ran into a bit of trouble, mostly with the fuel rail and injectors. At first I didn't notice any difference between the motors because the 2.4 intake fit along with the turbo manifold. It wasn't until I got to the injectors I noticed that the fuel rail ports from the cav were too short and wouldn't allow the injectors seat into the head. And now I noticed that the injector ports in the head have a slightly larger diameter and I noticed this when I tried to put the plastic adapter into the head on the new motor there was alot of play. So basically I'm trying to get this return Thing running again and can't seem to figure out what I'm dealing with here. And I've called several dealerships and engine shops to see if they could run block numbers and neither apparently have that ability so I'm open to whatever help you guys can provide me. I also have taken several pictures and will hopefully get them posted without too much headache.

Re: NEED HELP!!!!!!! Trying to identify my crate motor
Friday, December 30, 2011 8:42 AM

Friday, December 30, 2011 8:43 AM

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:01 AM

Friday, December 30, 2011 9:28 AM
Looks like you have an 02 Eco there...or at least the fuel rail is definitely '02. The 02 models used stubby injectors (shorter) so that's why you have some play in them, where the 03+ have the longer injectors. Now I'm not 100% sure, but the injector ports (in the head at least) should be the same through all years...it might just be the plastic injector seat that would be different. But everything is interchangable...people put 02 fuel rails and injectors on 03+ models and 03+ rails on 02 models all the time.

Could also be that the motor was from something other than a J-body. Not sure, but I thought maybe Grand Ams/Aleros, and maybe some others share the same fuel rail as the 02 Cavs.

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:06 PM
^^^Actually you have that backwards. The 03+ have shorter fuel injectors and need the plastic injector seat.

The best bet would be getting injectors and seats from A 2003 and up. You could also use spacers underneath the injector seats to help seal everything up better as well.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:15 PM
Well the thing that is throwing me off is that the plastic spacers that fit nice and snug in both of my '03cav motors, are completely loose when I put them on the new motor. I was also noticing that the holes I was using for my motor mount on the exhaust side were different, leading me to believe that this motor might be for something other than a cavalier. I'm just worried that this is an oddball motor that will be hard to get parts for and wont work with my set up. The injectors and rail that came with it seem to fit ok without the plastic spacers so I think I'm ok as far as that goes. Thanks to your guys inputs so far.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search