What to do with 01' Z24 with GM supercharger kit, Low miles - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What to do with 01' Z24 with GM supercharger kit, Low miles
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:10 PM
I need help figuring out what to do with this car. I haven't bought it yet, I don't know if I am going to buy it but I need help deciding what to do. Here is the specs on the car;
2001 Z24 that has about 77,000 miles on it, It is a stick shift, has sunroof, has Gm performance supercharger kit, Car has "R" title, the car has been repainted a bright blue , I think it was the darker blue factory, no rust underneath that was visable, front bumper cover and rear bumper cover I suspect have been replaced due to lack of push pin "xmas trees" that are missing and the gaps aren't correct. Hood is aftermarket, not sure what brand exactly but looks like a RKsport hood. Paint looks good far away but up close is so so. I'd give it a 6-7 out of 10 for fitment and finish. Interior is ok, it is missing some pieces but they wouldn't be hard to replace. I'd give the interior a 7 out of 10, it would be a easy 9 for condition if it had all the trim pieces. Another reason I think the bumper covers have been replaced is because the front fog lights are missing. The car was parked roughly 2 years ago because the engine was ran low on oil and developed rod knock. So what to do with car? KBB gives this cars worth around $4500 straight up in good shape with low miles. This doesn't take into account the supercharger kit or the "R" title. I can get this car for about $700 delivered and titled. Probably save about $75 if I don't x-fer the title in the case that I part it out and scrap the shell and whatever is leftover.

How much value does the car loose for being R title? Current owner doesn't know why the title is R, they said they bought it that way. Is there any money in fixing this car up and putting it back on the road 100% mechanically and and fix the exterior fitment and interior parts and let the new owner deal with the paint? Should I just buy it and part out the car? What would you guys do and what would be a fair asking price etc? There is a dark blue Z24 at a local yard I could get most of the exterior and interior pieces from, engine is junk though, might be good for a crank and con rod, idk tho.

95 Z26, OBD2 swap, 3400, 5 speed
96 S10, 4.3L, 5 speed, posi, 2wd

97 Z24, sunroof, 5 speed <--- Saved & Sold

Re: What to do with 01' Z24 with GM supercharger kit, Low miles
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:37 PM
Buy it.
Part it out.
???
Profit.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:51 PM
Car fax it, Then it will tell you why it was totaled. Also R title is usually 50-60% of the going value. I bought a lot of R title cars. Stay way from flood victims. Especially now on the east coast.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:17 PM
twenty4z contributed nothing to this thread, thanks lol. Yeah good idea on the carfax Rob, I didn't even think about that. I know I could make money parting out the car but I'm wondering if there is more money refurbishing it and re-selling because its low miles and has all the goodies.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:29 AM
sadly its a cavalier, there proally is little to no profit from fixing it up and trying to sell it, your best bet on buying it is to fix it up for you, if not i dont think it would be worth it. you can get cavaliers and sunfires here all day long for 500-1500 in pretty good condistion. i dont hink the car is flippable for 3800.

i would say buy it and fix it up to keep for yourself,
or buy to part it out
Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:29 PM
A cavalier even with say 10,000$ in aftermarket is still only worth 2-3 grand on a good day regardless of low km or money spent into it.... just an econbox at the end of they day part it out, sell it stock if anything

Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:33 PM
one has to wonder why its only gotten 77,000 miles put on it in 13 years.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:25 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:one has to wonder why its only gotten 77,000 miles put on it in 13 years.

Luke wrote:The car was parked roughly 2 years ago because the engine was ran low on oil and developed rod knock.

Thatd probably explain part of it

Id pay $750 at the absolute most but Id try to get it cheaper if possible. Strip the SC kit and anything of value and crush it. The SC kit could probably get you a grand or so depending on condition and scraps like $200 a ton out here so youve already made a decent profit.

90% of the time a spun rod will damage the crank so the motor is probably trash except for the head.

Think about fixing it this way. How much would YOU pay for a car with a new motor and rebuilt title? Probably not very much. Especially not knowing why it was rebuilt or what the quality of the work done was.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:32 PM
If it looks nice i would offer $500, fix the engine and drive it. These cars aren't worth much, so a dented fender will total them out, i wouldn't worry about it too much. The supercharger kit is worth the price alone.
Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:12 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:one has to wonder why its only gotten 77,000 miles put on it in 13 years.

I sold mine few years ago and it was a 2000 with 94000 original, Just don't drive much ya know? Built motor had 30k though.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:12 PM
I think it was 94000, somewhere in the 90's.

Friday, November 09, 2012 8:53 PM
Buddy and I are going halves on the car. I'm going to take the supercharger kit as payment for labor for helping him get this car back on the road. He's going to use it as a beater car so he doesn't have to drive his '08 Bmw 135i. If we can't for whatever reason I can't imagine get this car on the road then we'll part the car out and sell the shell as scrap.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:27 AM
con rod bearing. intake cam looks good, didn't pull the exhaust cam or lift the crank out yet. If the main bearing are in good shape we're just gonna change bearings and throw it back together. Doesn't look like the crank and con rod ever touched each other, strictly bearing damage.

00 Z24, 5 speed, Supercharged <--- Saving (I NEED ENGINE PARTS, PM me if you have any!INJECTORS, INTAKE, BOTTOM END)
Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:12 PM
JM Graphics & Signs wrote:

I sold mine few years ago and it was a 2000 with 94000 original, Just don't drive much ya know? Built motor had 30k though.

right and i understand that but even taking into account the 2 years this car sat, thats roughly about 100,000 if it had been driven. even 100k for a 13 year old car is pretty damn low.

now, my 98 z24 is older and has 97,000 on it. my 97 z24 is even older and only has 85,000 on it. i know why they are low its because they have been sitting in my garage forever LOL

im just saying, not everyone stores their cars for decades and doesnt drive them. unless it was meant to be stored for future worth i see this car having way more problems then just one blown engine. the future worth part gets thrown out the window when you factor in the @!#$ty paint job and salvaged title.

so... i say again, one has to wonder why its only got 77,000 miles.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:15 PM
op, id say even with the salvaged title its a good deal. fix the motor, clean it up and drive it til the wheels fall off.

just remember, keep that LD9 full of oil!

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search