GM/American Tuner magazines? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM/American Tuner magazines?
Friday, May 24, 2013 11:38 PM
So I get a lot of good car magazines, lately its been Hot Rod and GM Hightech Performance. But are there any good ones for American tuner cars? There would seem to be enough market for it between all the MazdaSpeeds, Ford Focus, Neon SRT4, Cobalt, Cavalier, etc guys. I often have to read the 'big boy' magazines and try to relate to the car im currently modding. Upgrade concepts are basically the same but it'd be cool to have literature that's related to our community.

Don't get me wrong though..nothing replaces muscle and RWD fun...but I wouldn't want to DD a RWD beast

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: GM/American Tuner magazines?
Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:02 AM
hot rod is by far the best magazine out there

Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:38 AM
Used to be that domestic e zine...never could get into reading that tho. I need something to physically look at while I'm on the porcilyn throne !! Hot rod n minitruckin is all I pretty much look at
Saturday, May 25, 2013 3:51 AM
Corey Dorman wrote:Used to be that domestic e zine...never could get into reading that tho. I need something to physically look at while I'm on the porcilyn throne !! Hot rod n minitruckin is all I pretty much look at

Porcelain

Grassroots Motorsports has some interesting articles on tuner cars every once and a while. There's also another magazine that does mainly japanese cars how to articles but sometimes has a few american fwd car how to articles, can't think of the name offhand, I usually find it on the bottom way in the back at the grocery store magazine rack.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:02 AM
Project Car has the only one I will get (if I get one). They actually did a cavalier build. Mainly handling.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 25, 2013 9:38 AM
I like super street but once again nothing for me there but cool looking cars and something to read on the toilet
Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:33 PM
Hci used to be decent and actually did a cavalier issue years back but they are no longer in print.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:39 AM
I use to always get PAG MAG....they offered lots of info and parts on american fwd tuner cars. Models were great too

GMR has got nothing on this
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:56 AM
I agree, Hot Rod is a good magazine. Plus, HR has 2 pages of coupons for Harbor Frieght, most other magazines (like GMHTP) only have 1. Most people dont realize those coupons are much cheaper deals than even their sale prices in their own ads.

I also get JEGS (not to be confused with JUGS lol) and go through to see what fun random stuff there is to need around the garage.

I too like to have my magazines for while I am on the porcelain thrown...but i read every article, ad, and inch of the magazines because quite frankly...i poop too much.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:57 AM

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:35 PM
I'm surprised no one listed Modified Mag! I know they mostly do imports, but there have been several SRT4's, and Cobalts that have graced those pages throughout the years.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:32 PM
since when is a mazda an american tuner? lol i could see a slight resemblence back when they were with ford but they arent any longer im pretty sure...

matt teske made it into super street in 2003. HCI did a HUGE j-body issue once, rk sport cars and gm performance cars iirc. i wanna say that red "600whp" sunfire that vizzon racing or whatever did back in the day made it into some mag.

then of course there has been the j-body magazine... JBM

and domestic driver mag

emissions control technology "boost up"

turbo sport

hot rod riced one out...

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:55 PM
well Ford has slowly been growing apart from Mazda reducing their percentage in shares, but they are still partners and often share market ideas and technologies. I know my Mazda truck has Ford parts stamped all over it, though its an 03 lol.

and yeah...its nice to see a jbody pop up in a respectable magazine every rare blue moon...but those ads you pulled up are very old, from years back for the most part, when cavaliers were still produced. The cobalt market teamed up with platforms for the neon, focus, ms3, and even older American sport compacts could have a big enough crowd to support a successful magazine.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:59 PM
oh and it looks like domesticdriver doesnt make their magazines anymore (online), last issue was 3rd quarter of 2010 unless Im missing it.
but i did notice one of their sponsors, Ecotecforum and Cobaltss

Monday, June 03, 2013 1:47 PM
Modified and Super Street are two of the best fire starters I've ever seen. They're absolutely useless for anyone who actually understands how a car works, and are only geared towards people who just like to see shiny objects.

HCI was a good one, too bad it's not around anymore. The same with Sport Compact Car. Domestic Driver was cool, but suffered from being brought on the market at the beginning of the end of the sport compact scene. Hot Rod has got to be the best one out there for someone who actually builds cars, since many of the techniques and parts are not specific and can be used on any car. GRM is great for someone wanting to learn about racing on the cheap.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search