Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:29 PM
is 2014 guys, it has been 10 years, since the last production year of the cavalier. I'm sure the majority of you are probably around the 100k+ mark now.

Why are you still trying to modify a car that only gets older, flimsier, cheaper with time? The interior, even if you take care of it, it falls apart on its own, because of the poverty quality. The dash gets cracks on its own. The seats are just plain old. The plastic interior also gets cracked. The carpet is also low quality. The exterior paint is low quality and prone to clear coat delamination.

Sure, you can always replace these parts, by getting aftermarket seats, new carpet, crack covers, get it painted again, etc, but it doesn't make sense to keep wasting money on a car, that is already on a car that was never good to begin with. This is why so many people rag on the cavaliers and sunfires. Because ALOT of kids try to take them and mAKE 'HOT RODS' out of them.

They are fine cars for what they are. Just like all the other cheaper, low end front wheel drive cars. They are econo, buy use and throw away type cars. Ment to get you from point A to B and does fine with that. Prob comes when kid thinks its a fast car, trys to mod it for looks and or performance. Then its just a pretty much sad, sick joke

They were cheap throw away cars. Some lasted a very long time, others didn't. But overall they're cheaply made cars. However they served their purpose. But people think they're "nice". They're far from it. Economical? Yes. Fairly reliable? Absolutely. High quality? No. Well built? Far from it

I also wanted to mod my car, make it look fast, by adding wheels, lowering springs, bodykit, wings, etc, but after a while, I realized, how everyone dislikes the cavalier, that it would only make me look like those tryhard fast and furious kids, who rice their kids in hopes to make it look fast.

Sure, you can rationalize, that you install quality parts, unlike those kids who buy from ebay, and you make it look "clean" but at the end of the end, it is still a riced out cavalier, who is not supposed look that way, it was never to be fast or look fast.

We bought the cavaliers because it was our only option at the moment, maybe you didn't have money for something, or you were simply unaware of how the cavalier quality really was, since you couldn't afford a better vehicle, you decided to modify it, and make it look better.

At the end of the day, its your car, and you can do whatever you want. I'm sure for many, you have spent thousands on your car, many people here keep repeating that modding is a useless hobby, that doesn't get you anything in return, yet you continue doing it.

For example, just to lower the cavalier, it can cost you from $700 up to 1000, and that's just for the 2 parts, without installation. It is because the cheapness of this car, that we have buy new struts, and since NOONE, mods the cavalier, excepts a small community, the prices on these parts never go down

I wanted to lower my cavalier, and the lowest I could find for the struts and springs, was $800 total, and then you add installation, almost 1k

1k just to lower a car that is out of production, and at the end, I thought, nobody is gonna really notice, my cavalier is not gonna impress anyone, no mater how much I mod it

Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:51 PM
lol.




"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:57 PM
Haha.
Stuff like this makes me chuckle.
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:55 PM
why not ? most people don't know what kind of car it is after you add a body kit and stuff.
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 3:09 PM
240sx's, DSMs, F-bodies, Civics, etc are all older and still the "preferred" choice. Age means nothing.




Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 4:43 PM


LOL





Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 4:44 PM
Why do people restore classic cars they are all super old? What makes the difference between a 10 year old car vs a 60 year old one?


2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:34 PM
Why come to this forum, to say stuff like that? A lot of people, like myself, may not have had the $$ to purchase a high end sports car, so we work with what we have. Bought my cav in 04, new, and jut now deciding to put a turbo in it, and run 5psi. My brother owns a tuning shop here on the east coast(Majestic Motorsports) , and he's going to put a turbo in my car for a good price, so why not? I've heard the ecotec engines are very reliable, and capable of running some slight boost, on stock internals. Would I rather have a 2014 Camaro? Yes. Do I have that kinda $$? No,
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 6:11 PM
Because my riced out cavalier eats cars 2-3 times it's price on an autox course...



Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Saturday, July 12, 2014 11:35 PM
I am one of the few who own a 1st gen and it is 29 years and still going! Mods no just stock for historical reasons.So in short I LIKE my car and could care less about the general thoughts of car enthusiast or trending trash today.That sums it up.



Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 4:23 AM
joe satriani wrote:

is 2014 guys, it has been 10 years, since the last production year of the cavalier. I'm sure the majority of you are probably around the 100k+ mark now.

Why are you still trying to modify a car that only gets older, flimsier, cheaper with time? The interior, even if you take care of it, it falls apart on its own, because of the poverty quality. The dash gets cracks on its own. The seats are just plain old. The plastic interior also gets cracked. The carpet is also low quality. The exterior paint is low quality and prone to clear coat delamination.

Sure, you can always replace these parts, by getting aftermarket seats, new carpet, crack covers, get it painted again, etc, but it doesn't make sense to keep wasting money on a car, that is already on a car that was never good to begin with. This is why so many people rag on the cavaliers and sunfires. Because ALOT of kids try to take them and mAKE 'HOT RODS' out of them.

They are fine cars for what they are. Just like all the other cheaper, low end front wheel drive cars. They are econo, buy use and throw away type cars. Ment to get you from point A to B and does fine with that. Prob comes when kid thinks its a fast car, trys to mod it for looks and or performance. Then its just a pretty much sad, sick joke

They were cheap throw away cars. Some lasted a very long time, others didn't. But overall they're cheaply made cars. However they served their purpose. But people think they're "nice". They're far from it. Economical? Yes. Fairly reliable? Absolutely. High quality? No. Well built? Far from it

I also wanted to mod my car, make it look fast, by adding wheels, lowering springs, bodykit, wings, etc, but after a while, I realized, how everyone dislikes the cavalier, that it would only make me look like those tryhard fast and furious kids, who rice their kids in hopes to make it look fast.

Sure, you can rationalize, that you install quality parts, unlike those kids who buy from ebay, and you make it look "clean" but at the end of the end, it is still a riced out cavalier, who is not supposed look that way, it was never to be fast or look fast.

We bought the cavaliers because it was our only option at the moment, maybe you didn't have money for something, or you were simply unaware of how the cavalier quality really was, since you couldn't afford a better vehicle, you decided to modify it, and make it look better.

At the end of the day, its your car, and you can do whatever you want. I'm sure for many, you have spent thousands on your car, many people here keep repeating that modding is a useless hobby, that doesn't get you anything in return, yet you continue doing it.

For example, just to lower the cavalier, it can cost you from $700 up to 1000, and that's just for the 2 parts, without installation. It is because the cheapness of this car, that we have buy new struts, and since NOONE, mods the cavalier, excepts a small community, the prices on these parts never go down

I wanted to lower my cavalier, and the lowest I could find for the struts and springs, was $800 total, and then you add installation, almost 1k

1k just to lower a car that is out of production, and at the end, I thought, nobody is gonna really notice, my cavalier is not gonna impress anyone, no mater how much I mod it

Why waste the time to join this forum and post this and look like a jealous douche...









Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:50 AM
joe satriani wrote:


I also wanted to mod my car, make it look fast, by adding wheels, lowering springs, bodykit, wings, etc, but after a while, I realized, how everyone dislikes the cavalier, that it would only make me look like those tryhard fast and furious kids, who rice their kids in hopes to make it look fast.

Sure, you can rationalize, that you install quality parts, unlike those kids who buy from ebay, and you make it look "clean" but at the end of the end, it is still a riced out cavalier, who is not supposed look that way, it was never to be fast or look fast.

We bought the cavaliers because it was our only option at the moment, maybe you didn't have money for something, or you were simply unaware of how the cavalier quality really was, since you couldn't afford a better vehicle, you decided to modify it, and make it look better.

At the end of the day, its your car, and you can do whatever you want. I'm sure for many, you have spent thousands on your car, many people here keep repeating that modding is a useless hobby, that doesn't get you anything in return, yet you continue doing it.


For example, just to lower the cavalier, it can cost you from $700 up to 1000, and that's just for the 2 parts, without installation. It is because the cheapness of this car, that we have buy new struts, and since NOONE, mods the cavalier, excepts a small community, the prices on these parts never go down

I wanted to lower my cavalier, and the lowest I could find for the struts and springs, was $800 total, and then you add installation, almost 1k


1k just to lower a car that is out of production, and at the end, I thought, nobody is gonna really notice, my cavalier is not gonna impress anyone, no mater how much I mod it


Wait a minute...... Reread the the original post, I figured out what happened here and I think you'll see it too (look at the part I put in bold especially), the OP bought a cheap cavalier and wanted to mod it but saw that the good parts are all expensive. So now he's throwing a temper tantrum because he can't afford parts and feels the need to insult people so he doesn't feel as bad.

Feeling better now OP?

Oh an pd by the way I'm not modding a cavalier......



Cause I got a sunfire


2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:12 AM
I bought the cavalier as a project car. The c7 is the daily.




On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:32 AM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:

240sx's, DSMs, F-bodies, Civics, etc are all older and still the "preferred" choice. Age means nothing.


preferred choice? for what lol modding?

only for reliability, they save on gas, cheap to maintain

the problem comes when kids want to make it look and be fast
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:37 AM
strat81 wrote:

Because my riced out cavalier eats cars 2-3 times it's price on an autox course...


and bikes own most cars on the course, doesn't matter

Any car, if you put enough money into it, can be made to be faster than cars that are stock, is common sense

You can put NOS, and win most races

Also, you say you cavalier is faster than cars that are 3 times it's price, but only because their cars are not modded like yours, or at least not as heavily modded as yours, such as having a turbo, etc

Do you really think a cavalier is going to beat a car that comes with more stock HP, and is heavily modded as yours? lol

only reason you would win, is because yours is more modded than the other car

If both start out at similar HP and torque, it makes sense, the most modded car will win

If you compete with a stock car that already comes with 250hp from factory, and is heavily modded with turbo, nos, and so many other @!#$, how could you win? lol
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:46 AM
backpacker3 wrote:

joe satriani wrote:



Wait a minute...... Reread the the original post, I figured out what happened here and I think you'll see it too (look at the part I put in bold especially), the OP bought a cheap cavalier and wanted to mod it but saw that the good parts are all expensive. So now he's throwing a temper tantrum because he can't afford parts and feels the need to insult people so he doesn't feel as bad.

Feeling better now OP?

Oh an pd by the way I'm not modding a cavalier......
Cause I got a sunfire


cavalier/sunfire, same thing, same car, same engine, same body, same everything

My cavalier is from 2004, and has only 65k miles, how is that cheap? If anything, all cavalier and sunfires by default, no matter how new, and well kept, are still cheap. They came from factory that way. I wanted to mod my cavalier like everyone else here, why can't you admit that the cavalier sucks, performances and looks wise, and that's why you want to modify it?

You want to make it look better, and faster, because it didn't look that way from stock.

The only reason good parts are expensive, is because nobody is really modding these cars, except a small community of people, therefore, they retain their retail value, it never drops.

I don't understand why you guys cannot admit, that is the reason why you are modding, you realize you are throwing your money away on cars, that will not sell well, majority of people do not like these cars, and if they see one that is modded, is even worse, they would rather have stock, which brings me again to my point

Modding in general is useless, but especially on cars that are cheap, and were never meant to look and be fast.

I had the dream to make it "fast" and "cool", but once you get a taste of a real head turner/fast/cool car, you will never look back.

I wish I had never put a dime into my cavalier..... This is all my opinion; The car was good at getting from point A to point B, but for me, that is all
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:08 AM
I guess you just don't get understand what it means to be an actual car guy. You seem like the type of guy who would get on his knees to blow some duche with a lambo but would overlook and look down on a guy who spent to time to research, build, weld and assemble a cool package because it is not a car you would expect.

I personally enjoy looking at an odd ball car no one expects to be modified.




Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:12 AM
^Bingo!
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 10:44 AM
Quote:

I guess you just don't get understand what it means to be an actual car guy.


DING DING DING DING DING!

hes butthurt that he owns a cav and didn't buy something else.

Regardless of platform though; you gotta pay to play. So all these points are moot. You can ALWAYS buy something that comes with more power than you have if you have enough money, so why should anyone waste time doing it on any car?

I had more fun building, designing, engineering, and spending time with people who worked on my car than I do actually owning or driving it.

its not always the destination that is important.

Also, no one has ever (to my face anyhow) ragged on my car. Ever.




"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:50 AM
joe satriani wrote:



cavalier/sunfire, same thing, same car, same engine, same body, same everything

My cavalier is from 2004, and has only 65k miles, how is that cheap? If anything, all cavalier and sunfires by default, no matter how new, and well kept, are still cheap. They came from factory that way. I wanted to mod my cavalier like everyone else here, why can't you admit that the cavalier sucks, performances and looks wise, and that's why you want to modify it?

You want to make it look better, and faster, because it didn't look that way from stock.

The only reason good parts are expensive, is because nobody is really modding these cars, except a small community of people, therefore, they retain their retail value, it never drops.

I don't understand why you guys cannot admit, that is the reason why you are modding, you realize you are throwing your money away on cars, that will not sell well, majority of people do not like these cars, and if they see one that is modded, is even worse, they would rather have stock, which brings me again to my point

Modding in general is useless, but especially on cars that are cheap, and were never meant to look and be fast.

I had the dream to make it "fast" and "cool", but once you get a taste of a real head turner/fast/cool car, you will never look back.

I wish I had never put a dime into my cavalier..... This is all my opinion; The car was good at getting from point A to point B, but for me, that is all


Actually the only thing I don't like as far as looks go on my sunfire is the color which I don't plan on changing anyway because I don't care enough about color to pay for a good paint job and I don't have the skill to do it myself and that it's an automatic which I plan to eventually swap out. The general appearance though is just fine for me though. I don't never want to make it any faster I'm just planning on replacing the 12 year old suspension with some upgraded bits and also try to make the engine a bit more efficient. I don't want to turbo or supercharge my car at all. I just want to upgrade/add/work on it just for fun.

Pretty much everything I will do to my car will be for added function not just for the looks. And as far as selling it goes I have no plans to ever sell my car. Even if I get something else it I'd still keep my sunfire as a beater and because it gets great gas mileage.


2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 12:34 PM







Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:39 PM
Matt Link wrote:






I had more fun building, designing, engineering, and spending time with people who worked on my car than I do actually owning or driving it.

its not always the destination that is important.

Also, no one has ever (to my face anyhow) ragged on my car. Ever.


Building our turbo ln2 has been more about hanging out and overcoming issues for a motor combo that gets little to no love ....and its hard to talk @!#$ about a car that walks you. Haha.




Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:54 PM
It's about the journey, not the destination.
Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 3:29 PM
joe satriani wrote:

strat81 wrote:

Because my riced out cavalier eats cars 2-3 times it's price on an autox course...


and bikes own most cars on the course, doesn't matter

Any car, if you put enough money into it, can be made to be faster than cars that are stock, is common sense

You can put NOS, and win most races

Also, you say you cavalier is faster than cars that are 3 times it's price, but only because their cars are not modded like yours, or at least not as heavily modded as yours, such as having a turbo, etc

Do you really think a cavalier is going to beat a car that comes with more stock HP, and is heavily modded as yours? lol

only reason you would win, is because yours is more modded than the other car

If both start out at similar HP and torque, it makes sense, the most modded car will win

If you compete with a stock car that already comes with 250hp from factory, and is heavily modded with turbo, nos, and so many other @!#$, how could you win? lol


Bikes aren't allowed at autox... And I have beaten modded sti, BMW, evo, and even a lotus exige s... In a car that makes 207whp.

I've seen Ef civic hatches and miatas eat cars 4-5 times their price. Not everybody cares about straight line speed...



Re: Why are you still trying to modify the cavalier?
Sunday, July 13, 2014 5:09 PM
^I was gonna say that. $1000 civics and $1500 miatas destroy Jags, BMWs and Audis at the AutoCross events where I'm from any day of the week.
And those things are 20 years old and its the same price to put money into suspension/wheels on those cars as it is our cars.


Not to mention the fact that people spend up to $100,000 sometimes restoring older cars and guess what, they don't do it for the resale value (No one ever does), they do it because thats the car they choose, or thats the one they have in possession at the time.

But the thing is. Its called passion.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search