SEROUS A/C PROBLEM - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SEROUS A/C PROBLEM
Monday, July 27, 2015 2:05 PM
So i live in the Hartford area of Connecticut and just recently started to get hot enough for me to need my AC. I turned it on and the car seems to surge for power or something. I have no idea how to explain it. I could be sitting at a light or in traffic with my clutch in OR not in gear and my RPMS bounce from about 1500 to 500 and anything below 500 she stalls. I even tried to top off my freon but it didn't work. I'm at a loss people... do I need to change the compressor? I don't know if this will help but it's a 2002 z24.

Re: SEROUS A/C PROBLEM
Monday, July 27, 2015 9:17 PM
I am not 3rd gen savy but,If the car is not having a running issue with the AC off you could have a underlying issue.1st question as your explanation doe's not really detail some Key points.Does the car idle and drive as normal when the AC is not turned on?2nd when the AC was ON was the air cool (meaning normal)?3rd Adding Freon will not affect how a car idles in regards to a car running low on Freon before hand.If it was low on Freon it would be just mediocre on the Cool air or warm and a recharge might fix the issue but not necessarily.If by turning on the AC and the idle is dropping it apparently is creating a greater load on the engine which would make me lean towards your car has a tune up issue and or possibly a compressor drag on the engine creating the drop in rpm's.I am soley responding as this may help generate some comments with those who Know and own a 3rd gen to better assist you with said issue.When the AC kicks on the compressor creates more drag on the engine and the engine should idle UP when this happens but,if yours is dropping it could be a mechanical issue with another engine component or the AC system causing so much of a drag it is idleing down the engine to cut off.Wish I could be specific but,please address the general questions I asked to help narrow down the issue.I will say a better detail of a problem will get better response's as I already stated.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:28 AM
This is a problem with a bunch of modified 3rd gens. Are you running a custom tune? Most of what Ron says is correct. Unfortunately, if you're custom tuned you'll find that there are really no tables to help you out with this. The only way I could solve the issue in my supercharged 3rd gen was to raise the idle to 1000-1100. Though, I feel the additional drag of the supercharger intensified the issue for me. Once I swapped back to a stock flywheel I wasn't seeing the issue nearly as much either.

I'd try a general tune-up like already mentioned. Check your plugs and air filter, make sure the IAC valve and throttle body are clean, etc.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 28, 2015 2:50 PM
the engine runs fine when the AC is off, in fact perfectly. But when I turn the AC on it runs like I said. When I'mcruising the car is fine with the AC on its only when it's sitting at idle with the AC on. The car has no tune and had a header back with aem in take. I feel like the compressor is sh*ting the bed.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015 12:10 PM
It would make all kinds of noise if that were the case. I'd look into a general tune-up and clean the throttle body well.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:47 AM
Okay. Thank you for the insight!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search