2008 GM Tuner Bash plans...everyone input! - Page 4 - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2008 GM Tuner Bash plans...everyone input!
Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:35 PM
why wouldn't drive through judging work? I have full intentions of doing drive through judging lol

Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:11 PM
DroptopPaul wrote:why wouldn't drive through judging work? I have full intentions of doing drive through judging lol

cuz if we have the same amout of car as last time, zip through done haha. kidding, ive never even seen it so maybe it could work.

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:00 AM
I've seen it several times, it works rather well actually! like he said...you can talk about your car, show things they wouldn't see, and you don't show until you're ready, not just when the judges show up

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:07 AM
Most of the other car clubs I belong to use drive-thru judging. Typically you have 3-4 judges at a 'station' and each judge goes over the entire car. Then the scores are averaged and that is the result. One time they had drive-thru judging there every judge had a specialty. But if you have 2-3 judges judge everything then average you take a lot of the subjective variability out of the mix. This way if one judge misses something another gets and also personal biases can be kept to a minimum.

The key is to standardize the judging sheets, it would be preferable to let the registrants see the judging sheets or method of judging before hand so everyone knows how its going to go, give the judges some sort of training before hand either in person or via email, etc over time. Its probably not a good idea to just find people at the last minute. Also want a try to mix up the kinds of cars the judges have. I know these are Js only as opposed to an all Chevrolet show but you get the idea. Also set up a start and finish routine probably oldest car first or vice versa or by registration number so that everyone can plan their time and prevents excessive loitering and bottlenecking in the judging lane.

May I suggest that you peruse the websites of some of the major marque clubs like Buick Cadillac Olds Chrysler vintage BMW etc they usually all have good drive-thru judging programs. I was at one massive car show once in 2002 when they had 800 cars go through over a whole day. They had judging 'stations' where there were 3-4 judges per aspect of the car it was like an assembly line. Took about 30-40 minutes to have your car judged.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Currently in Charlotte, NC
Worked at Lordstown Assembly in Mid 90s
Hamtramck, Lake Orion, Lansing Grand River
Currently work on older cars but support
any GM make or any car for that matter.
Owned 3 J's over the years among other cars.
Currently 88 Z24 Convert. Mostly stock.
Mild exhaust, chip, CAI, stereo, etc.
Feel free to hit me up on anything!
Monday, November 12, 2007 5:10 AM
Most of the other car clubs I belong to use drive-thru judging. Typically you have 3-4 judges at a 'station' and each judge goes over the entire car. Then the scores are averaged and that is the result. One time they had drive-thru judging there every judge had a specialty. But if you have 2-3 judges judge everything then average you take a lot of the subjective variability out of the mix. This way if one judge misses something another gets and also personal biases can be kept to a minimum.

The key is to standardize the judging sheets, it would be preferable to let the registrants see the judging sheets or method of judging before hand so everyone knows how its going to go, give the judges some sort of training before hand either in person or via email, etc over time. Its probably not a good idea to just find people at the last minute. Also want a try to mix up the kinds of cars the judges have. I know these are Js only as opposed to an all Chevrolet show but you get the idea. Also set up a start and finish routine probably oldest car first or vice versa or by registration number so that everyone can plan their time and prevents excessive loitering and bottlenecking in the judging lane.

May I suggest that you peruse the websites of some of the major marque clubs like Buick Cadillac Olds Chrysler vintage BMW etc they usually all have good drive-thru judging programs. I was at one massive car show once in 2002 when they had 800 cars go through over a whole day. They had judging 'stations' where there were 3-4 judges per aspect of the car it was like an assembly line. Took about 30-40 minutes to have your car judged.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Monday, November 12, 2007 6:57 AM
We had something like that in 03 if i remember right. Car didnt get judged can't say how well it work .

Dave
Sideways is the best way to drive
07 Cool GXP, 01 Z
Member of J-Factor
Member of Wisc's J's
1/4 mile 16.084 @ 84.90 (Stock Z) 01 SPDY Z24
Monday, November 12, 2007 7:03 AM
lots of shows ive been through do it. works great i think. thats how they do it at ITB and thats how they did it at Dropt & Destroyed 4. and they even do it at Cruisefest lol

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:17 AM
DEFINITELY STAY IN OHIO. OHIO IS THE HOME OF THE CAVALIER/SUNFIRE AND NOW THE HOME OF THE COBALT/G5. I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BE THERE SINCE I STARTED A NEW JOB JUST THIS WEEK AND NO VACATION TIME TILL NEXT YEAR BUT SUPPLY ME WITH SOME PROPAGANDA AND I WILL DEFINITELY PROMOTE THIS EVENT. MOST LIKELY BUY A SHIRT OR HOODIE AND I THINK STICKERS R A GOOD IDEA. PRE-REG SHOULD HAVE A STICKER INCLUDED IN PACKAGE AND PLACED ON CAR FOR BASH. AT LEAST GET FLYERS AND POST THEM SO THEY CAN BE PRINTED. I CAN THINK OF A TON OF PLACES I COULD PUT FLYERS HERE IN YOUNGSTOWN OHIO. EVERYBODY HERE DRIVES J'S AND MOST HAVE SOME KIND OF UPGRADES.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:30 AM
went thru my first drive thru judging in cincy this summer. was pretty cool. def better than waitin around your car all day. then you have time to clean up your car from the drive. they closed the judging at a certain manageable time. then tallied the scores and presented them a couple of hours later during the day light. if people know ahead of time when judging ends, they shouldn't have any excuses for missin it.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:39 PM
If you do Drive Thru Judging, make sure you let everyone know what times the cut off. Dropfest here in WI switched to that this year, but they didn't let everyone that rolled in know that it was only on Saturday and not Sunday.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:06 PM
i had that happen once my first year of showing. after that i learned to make sure i new when judging ended. to be honest allof of that info should be posted once and then the show competitor should be responsible for getting his car thru the lanes. if im at a show and watching cars get judged all day long and i dont bother to ask someone or bother to get into the lanes its not the shows fault. all paul would need to do is when a person registers they'll get their sheet that has the times of when judging starts and stops and most places are good enough to hold judging open a bit later if everyone is not thru. with this show it shouldnt be a problem. being that its not that big. i say dont bother breaking it up into first registered has to be the first thru the lanes. just give several hours of time and let people get judged when they want to. if possible the best way is to have 3 judges each judge a car then tally the scores. this will get rid of any bias. if good qualified judges can't be found and even if they are you should spend a half hour going over the scoresheet before hand and give them an overall of how you want the judging to run and what to look for. they dont need to know the diffrence between rare jdm mirrors and standard mirrors that again should be up to the competitor to point out to the judges.

there was drive thru judging in 03 and the biggest problem seemed to be people just didnt understand it they saw 5-6 cars in line and freaked out thinking they werent going to get judged so they jumped in line and then you had a long wait time. i just watched and cleaned my car for an hour or so till everyone got thru then pretty much drove mine right up to have it judged. and again if anyone didnt get judged it wasnt the shows fault.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:52 PM
I'm cool with that idea jason. Where do you suggest going for judges? Just find people who know quality cars and ask them to do it? If they require pay, what should I pay?

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:20 AM
id start looking to car clubs in the area. i know around here we have a few clubs that always seem to be judging shows. i know some clubs up here that have been down in louisville judging so they are out there. im sure the farther a club would have to go the more money they would want so try locally if you can. or just people you know who are dependable and have somewhat knowledge of what a good car is. as for what to pay thats going to be up to you and what your budget can allow. if you can get off cheap go for it. i'd say paying for food and drinks for the weekend and hotel room if they were out of town would be your minimum. (thats why i say local) when i was judging soundoffs meca was paying us like 25 bucks a day plus room and travel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:48 AM
sounds good..I'll take it from there. You been a lot of help jason, I don't do these show things

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:30 PM
Well, of course this is my opinion strictly but being involved with cars for the last 13 years I am recalling what I have seen. I don't think you need to go outside the club for judging. In fact it probably is a bad idea to do so. Why? Well for the very simple reason that peer review is the most accepted form of honest evaluation that takes place whether it be cars, professional life, book editing or whatever. Respect from like minded souls is the most sincere form of acceptance as well as the practical fact that those that are around the cars in question are most able to understand them. Not that a Ford guy couldn't be objective but the Ford guy doesn't bring the feeling that someone who owns one does. Every car club I belong to (4) that has shows has used peer-reviewed volunteer judges from within the organization. Some are not local but everyone is involved in the marque/type-of-car so they have an understanding of what they are looking at. Of course there are always subjective aspects of judging and they are not necessarily a bad thing if the reaction is honest and not biased for or against because of other reasons. The key is judge training. Most shows I have been to have clear and concise established judging guidelines that are followed. Usually the judges are picked in advance of the show so materials can be given to them, they can study them, and ask any appropriate questions before the process begins. Day of the show there is usually a judges meeting/clinic/breakfast whatever that goes over final notes and what have you. All the participants who are getting judged get a copy of the judging sheet or criteria before hand so everyone knows what is going to take place.

As far as time is concerned most marques just call cars by year oldest first to the youngest. Someone makes an announcement "All 95s get in line" I suppose at the J-Bash there is only going to be a handful of cars for each year so the bottlenecking won't be a problem. Usually you can get in line any time your year is called or after up until the last car is called. So if one pays attention they can get a good idea of about when they are going to go.

I suppose things can be modified depending on how many cars come out and are judged. Most of the major marque shows I have been too have 300-500+ cars necessitating strict judging controls on time since its an all-day affair.

Maybe some Lordstown guys can come out and judge. Why doesn't someone contact the UAW and see if any of the line guys want to come out? Or dealership people? Who is the local dealer in the area? Just some thoughts.

GM Powertrain Engineer
Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:47 PM
going outside the group means you wont have any bias. i somewhat expect the j-body guys to like my car its a bigger thing for me when owners of classic cars or even import guys come up and go, i dont care for most of those cars but i like yours. and theres really no need to break it down into years just let people go to judging when they want. ive seen 1000+ cars get judged in one day it should take no time at all to judge 100 cars.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:03 PM
I would do it on a basis of...go when ya want to lol. I found my class guidelines from last year (lucky i stored it on an SD card) So i'll be passing those out as well. There will be a sheet that goes in your window stating your class, everyone can try and be fair, but the judges will be verifying correct classing. I know of a club that could do judging, I'll be going through them.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:26 PM
If its for the the weekend of july 12th I wont be able to make it at all.

Satch might make it out without me tho depending on if its done and who I can find to take her out there.

sucks balls

SATCH PROGRESS THREAD!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:40 PM
This sounds like itll be a good meet.

I personally don't care how things are judged or whatnot lol. I'm not out to win anything with my car, its for me... If you like it you like it, if not, thats fine too. Ill still take a shot and see what I can score (however it works).

Whatever the cost, so long as the date doesnt change I can come.

Are more than J's allowed to enter (maybe not for judging or whatever)? My brother ('04 Impala ss) might want to come as well.

Now I just gotta get my Eco s/c swap under way.

Sorry if I asked something thats been missed, I tried to read all of it.
Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:44 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:If its for the the weekend of july 12th I wont be able to make it at all.

Satch might make it out without me tho depending on if its done and who I can find to take her out there.

sucks balls

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:42 PM
Matt Linke wrote:This sounds like itll be a good meet.

I personally don't care how things are judged or whatnot lol. I'm not out to win anything with my car, its for me... If you like it you like it, if not, thats fine too. Ill still take a shot and see what I can score (however it works).

Whatever the cost, so long as the date doesnt change I can come.

Are more than J's allowed to enter (maybe not for judging or whatever)? My brother ('04 Impala ss) might want to come as well.

Now I just gotta get my Eco s/c swap under way.

Sorry if I asked something thats been missed, I tried to read all of it.

actually we WELCOME different cars, they probably can't go for trophies...but we love seeing something besides cavaliers at times!

Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:28 AM
one thing you may want to look into paul is having a head judge so to speak, not nessicarily to judge cars but to take care of issues. when a person is classed they should be asked to look at their class, make sure they feel they are in the right class and if not see the head judge who will be the deciding factor. seems that is a big complaint at most shows that people complain they were put in the wrong class. if you let them know to check it before they are judged and have the head judge there at judging to take care of the issue then its basically their fault if they arn't in the right class. head judge could be someone that knows j's pretty well

Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:40 AM
superb suggestion.....that will be implemented

Saturday, November 17, 2007 12:50 PM
What classes are we thinking about using?

GM Powertrain Engineer
Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:58 PM
I just went with generation of cars last year to reduce trophy costs. I may expand it a little more depending upon attendance.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search