Drag Racing or Autox/kart rental? - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Drag Racing or Autox/kart rental?
Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:25 PM
I am at a crossroads. Our event choices are likely to go one way or the other. Bash tradition has been drag racing, and a show. year in, and year out (with exception to the first couple)

the drag strip I can secure, is Norwalk Raceway Park This is a very nice facility, very fast track. I can promise no one complains about track conditions.

Pros
- Nearby Cedar Point (30 miles)
- People can bring their cars and "run what the brung"

Cons
- For those that don't have fast cars, drag racing doesn't serve as much fun.
- High risk for a tow truck home (ask andy brooks aka exesivefire)
- You can drag race anywhere, its still 1/4 mile track
- Race on friday, harder for some to make it

Price: approx $2100 for 4 hours

I also have an option for a circuit course facility. This is called BeaveRun. The road course is too expensive and high risk to rent out privately. There may be options for those who want to for 150-180/car.

Mainly though, would be an autox event, and a professional kart rental. The autox would be on their skidpad Everyone would race according to SCCA rules. This would allow the playing field to be more even. Those who have stock cars...can race against other stock cars, and have just as good of a chance to win as the guy who has 300hp running in a higher class.

Also going on at the same time would be Professional Kart Racing! This would allow those who are afraid of breaking something the chance to compete in something without risk to the ride home. I think this could provide a fun event that anyone can compete in, whether they bring their car or not.

Pros
- A change in pace. Something a lot of people have never done and don't have the opportunity to try.
- Low risk of needing a tow home
- Karting allows EVERYONE to participate
- Race on Saturday, more people can show up

Cons
- Some of the fastest cars aren't really set up to autox, so they may lose out on showing off in front of everyone (although I may be able to negoiate drag racing on the closed course)
- Strays away from bash tradition a little (although in a good way IMO)

Price: approx 3000 for an entire day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:29 PM

Re: Drag Racing or Autox/kart rental?
Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:20 PM
quoted from someone on cobaltss.net...

alleycat58;1709236 wrote:OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG BeaveRun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahaha, sorry, I'm EXTREMELY partial to that course. That's my home track and home auto-x region. I know you'll get an absolute TON of support from the Pittsburgh area guys n gals for an event there. And I will GLADLY shell out the $150 for the track day. North Track PWNS.

Um, if you want, the local MINI clubs put on a VERY VERY similar at least once, often times twice a year - I can give you some contact information for them if you want to find out how they work things in for themselves. Usually the group is given preference for the North Track, meaning that registration is closed to outside people until a certain date, then they just open it up to fill the last few spots to the public. Then the auto-x is reserved EXCLUSIVELY for the hosting organization.

And BTW, I raced my first year and a half auto-xing a BONE STOCK 98 Cavalier. J-bodies are fun as hell to auto-x, stock, modded, or whatever the heck ya feel like doing with them.

BeaveRun FTMFW

By the way, if you can coordinate weekends, you MIGHT have a chance to have a little bit of all worlds thrown in. There are flashlight drags held about 20 minutes away from the BeaveRun facility at Zelienople Airport. You wouldn't be able to reserve it, but it would be there and open for any competitor who felt like showing up. The only downside is that it's only an eighth mile.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:59 PM
AutoX is fun, so are karts however it's just not a bash without drag racing..

One day for the show n'slow guys, one for the racers. I blew my engine in Canada at JCO, wasn't fun getting home but that's part of racing. My vote goes to Norwalk

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:17 PM
BeaverRun. Period.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:55 PM
i wanna race. i wanna kart.

Friday, November 30, 2007 6:30 AM
Quote:

BeaverRun. Period.

Ditto

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
LD9 for Life
Saturday, December 01, 2007 1:31 AM
this place sounds like it could be killer!
I'm there wherever it is!!

D I X O N FOR S U R G E R Y!
Saturday, December 01, 2007 9:12 AM
although the karting and autoxing seems fun it seems there are allot more drag racers and probaby best to stick with the show/drag a year or two till you
get things dialed in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, December 02, 2007 1:04 AM
i honestly say drag race at norwalk

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:03 PM
why not do both? Set up the BeaveRun and just have a everyone get together friday nite at a drag strip that has TnT. Satisfy everyone.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 3:47 PM
no tracks nearby BeaveRun...believe me I already looked into it. Thompson is an hour and a half from Beaverun

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 4:23 PM
Alleycat mentioned on css.net:

http://www.alteredgas.com/flashlight_drags.html
Zelienople Municipal Airport

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 4:31 PM
Racing at bash= drag strip

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 4:53 PM
Yep, been to one bash you've been to 700, god knows it cant ever be anything different.

{/sarcasm}

I remember the first year the original Bash went to St. Louis. "oh god know its going to be awful"

It wasn't.

This to me is along the same lines.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 12:10 AM
i agree.
but if it makes people lose interest...and numbers drop....

im all for either one
tho im not much of a dragster

D I X O N FOR S U R G E R Y!
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:33 AM
jnickel wrote:im all for either one
tho im not much of a dragster

not gettin into the debate of drag vs auto-x. which ever works out. karting sounds fun.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:02 AM
DroptopPaul wrote:no tracks nearby BeaveRun...believe me I already looked into it. Thompson is an hour and a half from Beaverun

Quaker City Raceway is only an hour away in Salem, OH. Set up the hotel inbetween the two? half hour drive to the drag strip friday nite, half hour drive to BeaveRun Saturday.

Also, looking through some stuff and going off Erod's post, there have been Flashlight Drags at BeaveRun in the past.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:56 PM
yeah, and no one's jumping all over the flashlight drags. Quaker city is a JUNK track.

I just got a quote...3. hours of karting is going to cost 3600 bucks plus the autox pad. That's more then I want to spend. Back to norwalk we go

Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:31 AM
Do we have to do autox and karting? Why not just do the autox. I'm for either drag or autox, slightly favoring autox since i have the Solstice now but it would be fun to run down the track regardless.
Just work within your budget, don't st reach yourself to thin.

Dave
Sideways is the best way to drive
07 Cool GXP, 01 Z
Member of J-Factor
Member of Wisc's J's
1/4 mile 16.084 @ 84.90 (Stock Z) 01 SPDY Z24
Sunday, December 09, 2007 5:19 PM
Beaverun looks like fun!

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Sunday, December 09, 2007 6:52 PM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:Beaverun looks like fun!

x2

Under Construction

Sunday, December 09, 2007 7:02 PM
I've be there either way

Sunday, December 09, 2007 7:23 PM
Darkstars wrote:I've be there either way

exactly!

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Sunday, December 09, 2007 11:25 PM
well 3 hours of karting is going to come up to 3700 bucks...so it looks like that's out of the picture. Looks like drag racing wins this debate for now. I'll still be tossing that karting idea around at a different venue. Group laser tag maybe?

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:37 AM
i know the bash is all about the people, and there are some people i look forward to trying to meet... but if there was no drag racing that greatly reduce my interest. just my input

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

The Redneck wrote:my 88 camaro is on blocks trying to become a race car,
redneck is a state of mind

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search