My outtake on the bash this year - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My outtake on the bash this year
Monday, July 28, 2008 9:53 PM
Well I am finally settling down to the point where I have some time to stop, sit back, and analyze what happened, didn't happen, went well, and could have been better.

The good:

Attendance didn't seem to have gone down. Show judging I thought was better, more fair, even though they weren't done by professionals. One thing I'd like to note, when Joe's old car came up...he voluntarily stepped aside and asked ryan to judge paint/exterior for him so as to be fair. No one asked Joe to do that. It just goes to show the integrity of the people we have here, even though Joe was a definite hilarious @!#$ the whole bash love ya joe!

Quaker steak was fun I thought. I don't see any reason not to do something similar next year as well.

Dyno & show at the same time. This worked out AWESOME! I give credit where credit is due. Ryan (Cavattack/Imphat0to60) set up the dyno shop, and convinced them to let us show in their lot. I couldn't have done it without him!!!

So long as brandon fetter keeps showing up....we got a good idea who's gonna win best of show maybe next year i'll just engrave his name on the trophy to begin with hehe

We had another good quality of cars in attendance. There were a lot of really nice cars, and once again, the street class had a small handful of cars.

The bad:

I wanted more cobalts. a lot more cobalts. The hotel night manager was a dick, but we asked for a lot of what we received. We definitely could have done more to make sure we were kept in good standing with the hotel crew.

the track....everything about it sucked. Location, timing equipment, bad directions from the hotel...etc. I didn't want to move the track that far, but I feared 30 hotel reservations not getting moved without someone losing their reservation. I figured it best to have everyone move.

What to expect for next year:

dyno and show if its possible!

track closer to hotel (like i said, i didn't like it any more then anyone else)

I got a couple potential tracks in mind. I'm going to throw a few proposals together, and see what I can come up with about renting norwalk next year, but on a promotional basis that doesn't cost me money up front.

overall, I had fun at this year's bash, and last year's bash...however there was a lot of immature things from our attendance that I really wasn't a big fan of. I thought this bash ventured a little further from what my intentions were, but it wasn't bad to the point where I say things got completely out of hand. Fireworks were probably a bad idea, and I don't think greg appreciated his car turning into a doodle pad. Personally, I would have been FURIOUS!

I do want to thank those who continue to show up, year after year, and contribute wherever possible, but yet never ask a thing of it. Luckily this year we didn't have any catastrophic failures. This I do believe is a first!

I want to commend those who really put some last minute efforts into getting their cars together for the bash. I know John's car isn't the prettiest, but for him to throw it together and drive it from newyork, that takes balls. Cavfan, and JLAudiocavalier both had to take their beaters because their good cars wouldn't make the trip. David Ingram still trailered his car to the bash even though he wasn't even broken in or able to race. My apologies to darren for not being able to enjoy the bash much

All in all, it was another good year, I think it ended up being a little more organized then last year, but I definitely could still do a few things better! I thank everyone that came, and look forward to seeing everyone next year!

comments/suggestions welcome (you're right I can't please everyone, but I do what I can!

Re: My outtake on the bash this year
Monday, July 28, 2008 10:21 PM
i just want to say thanks again paul was only down saturday evening for the end of the show and final hotel get together due to the fact that my car is anything special in area. hopefully if i can get some stuff to swing my way i'll be giving fetter and david(whitecavy) a good run for the top spot.

but it sounds like everyone had a great time and some had to good of a time.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:59 AM
Paul I don't know ya all that well But, Thanks for keeping it going I hadn't been to the Bash since 2005, Yeah things were a little off with the locations but hey you did a great job holding it together.. So thanks for the hard work and hopefully I'll see ya nexT year..

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:16 AM
i had a blast too at this bash. it was nice meeting you paul. Quaker Steak and Lube was awesome. and i live about 45 minutes away from another location. WOOHOO!!!!
this was better than the 04 bash. i didnt rear end anybody, didnt get lost. nobody crying and moaning about were they slept because of me. one thing i did learn is that ill be getting my own room for next year.

ps
meck gave us permission to doodle on his car

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:44 AM

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:17 AM
Paul - it was great to meet you again... Sara and I both had an amazing time, met a lot of really nice people and enjoyed literally every second of it. You did a wonderful job and I can only hope next year is just as good if not better. If you need any help with anything please feel free to hit me up

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:54 AM
Well said Paul..

I had a great time this year, this was my fifth bash and I felt like Ive talked to more people this year than the previous years put together..

My only complaint was the track as well, I didnt even race and I was getting frustrated just watching the damn races lol.. Track could of been closer yea, but whatever nothing you can do about that.. Even if I did drive my car to the track, I probably would of givin it one try and that would of been it.. I hope things go well for me at next years bash as far as racing the car goes.. Trying to compete with Fetter and Devon is going to be a challenge hehe.

And I have GOT to do something about me coming in second place again for the show LMAO.. Thats two years in a row

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:39 AM
It was a great time, a little confusing but @!#$ happens. For proposals for sponsorships I can maybe try for ya next year, generally dec/Jan is perfect time for a proposal. After SEMA and before their budgets are gone.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:54 AM
The Good - Attendence was as strong as its been since prob 05, felt more like what a bash is supposed to. I didnt even bother entering the show so I didnt have to worry about judging lol. I hate cleaning my car when I'm roasting to death, Also props Ryan (Cavattack/Imphat0to60) and Paul for getting the dyno and the show together that was a really cool idea and something that hasnt been done at the bash before. In 2003 there was a dyno at st louis during track day but it was pretty freaking hot and not nearly as many ppl did it.

The Bad - Well this mainly involves the attendance of one person in particular. Fireworks and the cops likely would not have shown up if not for the immaturity and douchebagery of this individual. Not to mention the constant @!#$ talking about everyone else's car the entire weekend when they themselves didn't even bring anything except a community vagina to be slammed by others.

Next Year - Will be great no doubt as long as certain ppl dont show up that are completely worthless

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:37 AM
I have to say that I enjoyed my time at this years bash. Next year I'm hoping to be going with something that I can't wait to get. I'm crossing my fingers to get it by the end of winter to have some time to get it painted and boosted in time. I might be giving Brandon some comp if he makes the time to paint it. His girl has told me not to take all of her time with the boy. So I'm going to try to plan this out the best I can to have it done. If not the beater I took this year will have the Johny Mack kit on it and tuned for some fun. Thanks Paul...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:41 AM
looking back i still cannot believe i finally made it to one of these things, even if i didnt get to take my car. although it sure would have been nice. i was definitely hating the fact that it wasnt there.

all n all, it was extremely fun. i live in iowa, nothing happens here. it was neat to actually get to do something as well as take a vacation. the last one i got to go on was in 1993!!!!! the most fun i had was seeing all the cars, this was a big treat for me. i must have walked around drooling over each one two or three times easily. meeting the people was also awesome, you talk to them every day and you've never met them. now i can say hey... ive met this person, i know what they look like and can put a face to the screen name.

the bad from me-

the organization was lacking. i feel more could have been done in this area. my biggest pet peeve was the fact the show seemed to have only been geared towards the cars most likely to win. IMO every single car there should have been in the show weather it was dirty or not. if it was its the owners fault and its real easy to judge a dirty car. me and wade just assumed the judging was taking place throughout the day. we had NO idea there was a set place to go to be judged. i never read nor heard a word pertaining to the show itinerary.

IMO no one should have been left behind that wanted to go with the group, we all should have went in one HUGE caravan to each event. and if somebody wasnt there, too bad, its there fault. a set time should have been put down for leaving for each specific event.

i also think that directions to each place during the weekend should have been linked to or printed out or something for everyone, even going so much as to taking the time beforehand before the bash to drive these routes and make sure they are the right way. a lot of people got lost with wrong directions trying to find places when even GPS and mapquest directions were used. i feel i missed out on quite a bit just because we got lost so many times.

and lastly i think there needs to be two days. cramming everything into one day was real tiresome, it's supposed to be a vacation for a lot of people, you cant relax and have a good time and enjoy stuff if your constantly worrying about the next thing to go and do. i know you feel sunday should be the day for heading home, and i totally agree with that. IMO i think friday and saturday should be the event days.

i know its hard for one man to get things done and done organized, paul... you still did one HELL of a job. for not really driving a j-body anymore or being in the scene as much as you used to goes a long way to showing your character and love to keep throwing an event on even though you dont have much to do with these cars any more. and i realize things are not going to go as planned.

you did do an awesome job man, without you there would be no bash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:30 AM

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:09 AM
^He still has a J-body, but it doesn't have brakes yet. If he gets the time he might drive it home instead of flying, but I don't see that happening this week due to he hasn't been home in a while to see everyone. So I hope his dad might do that while he is away to have an extra car to drive.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:15 AM
I agree with everything you said Brad.. Hell I didnt even know we were having drive through judging until I walked my ass over there to see cars all lined up.

I wish we could get a venue again like we did at the 05 Bash in Indy.. The show, and the track was at the same venue.. The track was great, Indianapolis Motor Speedway.. One hell of a track, bleechers and all..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:40 AM
I <3 paul...

And I owe you a reacharound for not being able to make it...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:57 AM
Matt-
I SERIOUSLY hope you are not going to present yourself as a mature person, gain my respect, even shake my hand, and then get home and say that kind of @!#$ on your computer?!? REALLY? You should be kidding if you think "the attence of one person in particular" was the negative part of the bash. 1. Fireworks were a good laugh and I was told "if you do it, wait until Saturday night" and I didn't light off like a whole goddamn display. I KNOW IT WAS STUPID.
And yeah, I will get drunk and have a good time with the few friends I had, and all the amazing new people I met. You all got to see me at my best and my worst, and everything in between. If some people hate me after the bash, so be it, if I make a new friend or two, great! I don't BS people, EVER.
I had a good time, and at a couple times tried to make sure others were too. Did I go too far with a couple things? yes. Do I feel that one or two people got a little uptight about innocent little things? Yes. But I seriously do not think(and I am really hoping not here), that anyone was overly offended or disgusted by anything I did or said.

Myself directly-
I truely hope I did not leave a lasting bad taste in anyones mouth. I Know myself well enough to know that if I get too drunk, too happy, or sometimes too bitter, I can run off at the mouth before putting thought into it. If this is the case, I will take this time to appologize. I feel like I made a lot of new friends, finally got to put a face to some names of old friends like Brad said, and just had a blast. The two events that got the police called(one of which was absolutely not my fault and I was only in that room for 10 minutes before they got there), weren't even that bad. You live one major sheltered life if you think some really understanding and laid back cops showing up was the end of the world. We took care of it, no one got arrested, and no one could really blame them for showing up.

A little more of my insight on the whole event-
Paul did put a ton of effort into making sure everything was as planned and organized as possible. A couple things here and there changed very late in the process that forced him to improvise. I gotta say that Brad has some damn good ideas for little things that would have made this bash, and could make next years bash a bit more organized and user friendly. Having directions printed out and one big caravan. No garmin and tom tom and mapquest and google maps and streets/trips and hotel staff sending 100 people in 50 directions to get to 1 place. One set route and one set time. Us sleeper-inners can get left in the dust lol.
The car show/dyno was a great idea, great fun, great sunburn, and all around fun. I guess a couple people had a point about organization and announcements and whatnot, but honestly, after seeing Paul running around to the point of not really getting to socialize most of the day, I can't complain about anything. Complaining doesn't feel right. This only opens doors and suggestion boxes for next year. I say a few of us who might have some pull in some places in some sort of way that could bennefit get right on it and start planning how to help get next years bash bigger, better, organized, and everything in between.
Overall, I saw more smiling, laughing and having a good time than anything else. You will never get a group larger than 2 or 3 people together and have no fights, dissagreements, or conflicts of interest. There will always be a complainer, or a split decision on what could have, would have, or should have been done their way. The way I see it, whether you loved everyone, hated everyone, or just picked and chosed, no one regrets going.

-Dustin Worcester

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:29 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:The way I see it, whether you loved everyone, hated everyone, or just picked and chosed, no one regrets going.

QFTMFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:50 AM
my outtake, ( yeah i was only there on friday night, but i have a voice to you bastards lol)

show guys, come on, i new it was drive thru judging and i wasn't even there. lol

track. i was also concerned when i learned where the hotel was and what track you were going to. that should be a more simple fix for next year.

dates. just email when you think u want to have the bash so i can make sure that date is clear paul lol.

itenerary. i agree a little more info should be presented. by the time the bash is here you should know what locations everyone will be attending and at what times. then its just a simple thing to write up proper directions from the host hotel to each location and make enough copies for those in attendance, this way no one has an excuse for not making it to an event. you can also put on it about judging and show info and dyno info and cost of dyno etc. etc. etc. this takes the stress off of you and on to the participant to be somewhere on time and ready to go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:52 AM
I had a great time, under the "fun" category by far my favorite bash.

I admire how all the online drama got put out on the table @ this bash, versus others where people just tended to avoid it. Made for a good time, and I think it may have opened a lot of our eyes. Sure you still got that one guy who waits to get home to be a badass and call someone out, but that happens.....maybe it's just too humid out.

Thanks again Paul, and to EVERYONE who makes this event such a blast.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:11 AM
The Good
The caravan to the bash went well. Thanks to Darkstars for offering up his place to crash at.

Attendance seemed good. You got what 56 people to register at 25 a peice?

Even though my car broke down and was limped into the parking lot I was not worried. I knew I would have a ride to get to the parts store, tools, and as much help as I wanted. Scott (ragin the fake 05) really stepped up to the plate to help. He gave me a ride at least 50 miles and even turned down my offer for gas money not to mention the time he spent getting dirty working on my car. The same goes for sweetness. Rodimus had never met me and offered up his tools. The cordless drill was a lifesaver! I have a great deal of respect for all involved and can not say THANK YOU enough. I even had help with HPT wich I am a total newb at still.

The helping hand we lend at these events and on the forum is what really makes this place priceless. Lets all try not to loose sight of that on the forums as I myself am guilty of it from time to time.

Quaker steak and lube dinner went well.

The not so good.
The track was a complete failure as mentioned. The only improvement we could have made was to verify the address, open and close times as well as cost of admission for racers and spectators right before we left. However I don't think anyone would have stopped to ponder those things before hand if we had not been through this experience. I know I would not have.

I know in the boost forum some have expressed that they were not happy with the dyno session. In particular the dyno faking a "dynojet" number and then the "real number" which was only comparable to those who had dynoed at the same time. The staff at shop were great as was Ryan (Imphat0260). Things could not have gone as well as they did if not for Ryan. This makes me think maybe we should look into doing the bash in the St louis area where he is from if there is a track close by.

As for the show how it went depends on who you ask. I was never informed about the show being moved to drive through judging at the circle. This was by no means intentional. Everyone has said they are sorry and I am not sore about it at all. I understand @!#$ happens and that everyone truly did their best under the circumstances. This is where prioplanning really comes into play.

I am a litle peeved about being rushed for time at the show/dyno event. No offense meant here. It seems to me as though it was thrown into one day to suite the canadians who were hardly around with one exception (sweetness).
The reason this is a big deal to me is two fold. I was rushed for time so I had to choose clean up my car walk around bs and take pics, or tune and dyno and watch others dyno. Both of which were very important to me. I tried for the best of both and it just did not work out so well. I missed seeing alot of the cars up close and taking pics as well as missing a few people dyno.
The flip side is it is tough to impossible to polish and clean up the engine bay when engine is hot from running hard. Anyone who has polished parts knows if the metal is to hot it just will not work out. I really do not have much exterior wise other than rims, drop and tint. Most of my mods are engine bay. It is what is important to me and where I have spent the majority of my time and money. I don't feel my engine bay was one of the best, infact maybe... just barely... in the top 10 best looking. It had nothing to do with the show and judging. I just wanted to be able to clean my car up to its potential.

The show spot was only so-so. I would have loved to have seen the show be held at a park. A much nicer backdrop and some shade, maybe even grill some lunch or dinner while we were there. This has worked out very well at the v6z24 bashes I have been to.

I was very disapointed in the hotel. They did not put us in a room "block" as we asked. Subsequently I listened to a group of old hags bitching about us on the elavator ride down from the 4th floor. I am sure they received more complaints with us scattered throughout pissing off people on every floor. Furthermore no breafast and they did not even have automatic doors.

I was even more disapointed in some of my fellow bash goers. Some seemed to have no respect for the other hotel guests nor the hotel itself. Whoever left the wiring harness in the closest handicap spot should be ashamed of themselves. I was ashamed to even be a part of the group. I understand some people get loud when drinking that is fine just move away from the front door have some respect for those who are sleeping in the hotel. Waaaaayyy too much trash and beer botles were left in the parking lot. QBE's girl Sara picked up the place alot! We all owe her a thank you. This is something she should have never had to do.

To anyone who thinks the night manager was a prick. I don't feel that way at all. If it were me or even some of you in his shoes answering call after, call after, call about us the way he acted would have seemed nice compared to how I or you might have reacted. That was a horrible position for us to put him and it was directly related to our lack of respect for others.

Even as the awards were handed out. It was what 11pm and we were standing in the front some yelling and some acting like monkeys from the zoo. I am going to be blunt here and say if that is how you act when you drink DONT DRINK if that is how you act sober it is time for an attitude adjustment. We needed to be as quiet and quick as possible with the awards. The hotel already had numerous complaints that night about us.

JLaudio I have no problem with you but the firework thing was beyond BS

We should have had nametags and I think we should have received a bash shirt. I was looking forward to it and packed shirts planning on needing one less. I am willing to step up to the plate and take care of both for next year even front the money for the shirts if need be.

In closing I want everyone to know I had a great time. I only mean to help with my suggestions. I am not complaining or blaming or any of that crap. I just want to see the bash evolve and get even better every year.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:16 AM
also secondary note..... name tags with your car on them would be a great idea lol I have no idea who i met

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:40 AM
I was not there, but soo wish I was from the pictures I have seen. My point I wanted to make is I knew about the drive through judging, and was not there. I read it last week in a post in this section.

Name Tags with your username would be PIMP!!!!

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:54 AM
John Higgins wrote:I was not there, but soo wish I was from the pictures I have seen. My point I wanted to make is I knew about the drive through judging, and was not there. I read it last week in a post in this section.

Yes everyone knew there was going to be drive through judging at the dyno/show. We did not all get the word what time they would be judging or that it would be at the end of the street.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:30 AM
I am not a monkey from the zoo. I find that highly offensive.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:09 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
John Higgins wrote:I was not there, but soo wish I was from the pictures I have seen. My point I wanted to make is I knew about the drive through judging, and was not there. I read it last week in a post in this section.

Yes everyone knew there was going to be drive through judging at the dyno/show. We did not all get the word what time they would be judging or that it would be at the end of the street.

Says right here.....on the GM Tuner Bash website

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:38 PM
well @!#$ me.

my bad, paul.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:36 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:The Bad - Well this mainly involves the attendance of one person in particular. Fireworks and the cops likely would not have shown up if not for the immaturity and douchebagery of this individual. Not to mention the constant @!#$ talking about everyone else's car the entire weekend when they themselves didn't even bring anything except a community vagina to be slammed by others.

like you never did anything stupid or dumb when drunk. we all have, @!#$ happens. deal with it. and talking @!#$ about other peoples car's?? gee something you yourself have done countless times. and are you jealous you didnt get any community vag??

Rodimus Prime wrote:Next Year - Will be great no doubt as long as certain ppl dont show up that are completely worthless

if you are going to let one or two people ruin a good time for you then i feel sorry for you.

Paul-you did a wonderful job. i hope i can make it next year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:38 PM

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search