09 drag racing shootout??? - Page 7 - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 09 drag racing shootout???
Saturday, December 06, 2008 4:02 PM
Quote:

Correct the JBODY BASH was a JBody event but this is the GM TUNER BASH now. Different people running them and 2 different events. You can't have something specials for the Js just because they were there first. That just leads to bitching and we don't need any more of that. PERIOD. That's why I'm still trying to keep the TVR Shootout going as a J only thing.

I'm aware, but don't agree. No big deal.

FU Tuning

Saturday, December 06, 2008 5:10 PM
for the ones whining about bracket racing not being the best option...

bracket racing shows who the real dedicated racers are. the ones who are out there almost every weekend trying to get consistency down, not land speed records every freaking time.

it helps determine who is a better driver, not just who has the fastest car.

someone with a completely stock 25 second 2.2 auto sedan can WIN.

i personally think its a great idea. good job TVR and DTP.

You look so much cuter with something in your mouth.
Saturday, December 06, 2008 6:40 PM
I don't think bracket racing sucks, people enjoy it, I see why. Not fully agreeing nor disagreeing.

I do however feel drag racing is about who has the fastest car and also determining that is who's the better driver.

Either or, my auto Sunfire is pretty consistent.

Saturday, December 06, 2008 8:45 PM
Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:OK guys here a little lite reading for you to mull over....

-Last years Tuner Bash was won by 3800 S/C as stated earlier.

he took second..... I took first, Chris took 3rd

Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:18 cars already for a 16 car field. 13 of those are Js. Those same 13 cars would presumably be at this event too, making it a repeat event except for breakage issues. That is why I would like a bracket race, but I understand why others don't..

How again would this event be a "repeat" of the Tuner Bash? Tuner Bash = a MUCH larger array of cars....... if you can convince them its a Tuner bash, and not another J-body bash (a lot of the older GM Tuner Car forums have their own events still)

99redz24 wrote:
Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote: That is why I would like a bracket race, but I understand why others don't

some people plainly suck at it. so to make themselves feel better they say its stupid and dumb

If I wanted to run in a Bracket Race, I'd take a bone stock automatic car and run a Points Series. To me, that's boring, and thats why I don't do it. I've run in them in the past, and I've watched them. Not all that exciting. I have plenty of footage of the older J-body bash Bracket races...... let me tell you, it was SUPER exciting to watch those 17 sec 2.2 OHV's run!!! Talk about seat of your pants racing!

How hard is this? Take all GM J-bodies with a 4 Cylinder EcoTec or Quad 4 family motor. Send them all down the track. Give them 3-4 runs, and take the 4 fastest from either family. Run them in a "Heads UP" bracket till you get to the final 2 from each family. I dont get why this is still an argument on page 7?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, December 06, 2008 8:55 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:
Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:OK guys here a little lite reading for you to mull over....

lol...... scratch that..... that was '07, forgot about '08 since I didn't make it (doesnt seem like it was all that long ago that my car was totaled!!!)

Saturday, December 06, 2008 11:00 PM
Go do the research I did on the other "GM Tuner Cars." The fastest Solstice, HRCs, is only running mid-12s. The best SS/SC Cobalt? Only pulling high 12s. The best SS/TC Cobalt right now? Low 13s. Unless these groups step their games up BIG TIME, and I believe A FEW will, it is going to be mostly a J-Body field.

Believe it or not there are more of us modding for raw power than any of the other major GM communities! The Solstice guys seem to be concentrating on auto-x, as I would too with that car, and the Cobalts are too busy trying to learn how to launch still!

I'm open to doing a Heads-Up race if that's what everyone, or the majority OF THOSE ACTUALLY RACING, wants. However there is no way your getting 4 qualifying runs LOL. I'll give you 3 tops and we'll set the field of either 8 or 16 with 1 side being all Ecos and the other being all Quads. That way once we get to the final we have the 2 best cars, 1 from each family.

Does that sound good to those of you who want a heads-up race? If that can be done that way we MAY be able to run a bracket race at the same time!

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, December 06, 2008 11:23 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:

If I wanted to run in a Bracket Race, I'd take a bone stock automatic car and run a Points Series. To me, that's boring, and thats why I don't do it. I've run in them in the past, and I've watched them. Not all that exciting. I have plenty of footage of the older J-body bash Bracket races...... let me tell you, it was SUPER exciting to watch those 17 sec 2.2 OHV's run!!! Talk about seat of your pants racing!

why do you think i movd to a faster class? racing against 9-10 second cars that do wheel stands past the 60 foot mark is exciting. people bracket race stick cars too. 8 second stick cars. well some are

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, December 07, 2008 5:52 AM
99redz24 wrote:
SpeedRacerZ wrote:

why do you think i movd to a faster class? racing against 9-10 second cars that do wheel stands past the 60 foot mark is exciting. people bracket race stick cars too. 8 second stick cars. well some are

I bracket raced a 12 second car at 3 different tracks and loved it all.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 8:40 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:
SpeedRacerZ wrote:

lol...... scratch that..... that was '07, forgot about '08 since I didn't make it (doesnt seem like it was all that long ago that my car was totaled!!!)

Your still in the denial stage, next will be the grief stage, don't worry i will hold your hand as the 96 replaces it....

..... hmm I think I will come over.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, December 07, 2008 3:32 PM
Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:I'm open to doing a Heads-Up race if that's what everyone, or the majority OF THOSE ACTUALLY RACING, wants. However there is no way your getting 4 qualifying runs LOL. I'll give you 3 tops and we'll set the field of either 8 or 16 with 1 side being all Ecos and the other being all Quads. That way once we get to the final we have the 2 best cars, 1 from each family.

Does that sound good to those of you who want a heads-up race? If that can be done that way we MAY be able to run a bracket race at the same time!

Still waiting for comments on this plan guys.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 3:36 PM
Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:
Hypsy (TRU TurboSport Cav) wrote:I'm open to doing a Heads-Up race if that's what everyone, or the majority OF THOSE ACTUALLY RACING, wants. However there is no way your getting 4 qualifying runs LOL. I'll give you 3 tops and we'll set the field of either 8 or 16 with 1 side being all Ecos and the other being all Quads. That way once we get to the final we have the 2 best cars, 1 from each family.

Still waiting for comments on this plan guys.

from someone that will show up, sounds good to me

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten

Sunday, December 07, 2008 5:14 PM
because things like non bracket racing kicks me out of the races asap and doesnt give me a chance. the thing with heads up is who has the most money into a car and who can afford to go faster. plus if i go, i wanna race and have fun, im not in it for the money, or points, or whatever, just some evenly matched racing.

Sunday, December 07, 2008 6:18 PM
Vincent Morris wrote:because things like non bracket racing kicks me out of the races asap and doesnt give me a chance. the thing with heads up is who has the most money into a car and who can afford to go faster. plus if i go, i wanna race and have fun, im not in it for the money, or points, or whatever, just some evenly matched racing.

I'm pretty sure the track will be open for fun/test and tune/Grudge matches, outside of the Quick 8 contest........

Sunday, December 07, 2008 6:58 PM
Speaking of Track Time. 09 Needs to have more Brian.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, December 08, 2008 5:54 AM
how bout some index racing? i always wanted to try that

Monday, December 08, 2008 6:35 PM
before i cast my vote, let me bring something to light..

A) only first round is guaranteed 2.4 vs ecotec

the problem with this is, we all know which way the tree will be swayed. will we have a dedicated 8 ecos and 8 2.4s show up? Also, if all of one engine are eliminated, racing in the final could be drastically swayed.

B) only final round is guaranteed 2.4 vs ecotec

I like this better, it proves to keep competition more even across different rounds, and also guarantees the final will be what we all want to see.. .a grudge match.
also, exciting racing = close races, not people being beat by full seconds or more.

also, if we index people for their match-ups, it will put more emphasis on driving well. a low 11 second car next to a mid 12 second car just doesn't make for exciting racing. I think we should maybe have some sort of index to match people up not only based on engine, but also on e/t

that way, EVERY round is exciting from start to finish, and we don't have an inevitable slaughter of cars until we have a landslide final

racing is more unpredictable, and upsets are more possible when cars running CLOSE times are put next to each other, you know?

Monday, December 08, 2008 9:03 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:before i cast my vote, let me bring something to light..

A) only first round is guaranteed 2.4 vs ecotec

the problem with this is, we all know which way the tree will be swayed. will we have a dedicated 8 ecos and 8 2.4s show up? Also, if all of one engine are eliminated, racing in the final could be drastically swayed.

B) only final round is guaranteed 2.4 vs ecotec

I like this better, it proves to keep competition more even across different rounds, and also guarantees the final will be what we all want to see.. .a grudge match.
also, exciting racing = close races, not people being beat by full seconds or more.

also, if we index people for their match-ups, it will put more emphasis on driving well. a low 11 second car next to a mid 12 second car just doesn't make for exciting racing. I think we should maybe have some sort of index to match people up not only based on engine, but also on e/t

that way, EVERY round is exciting from start to finish, and we don't have an inevitable slaughter of cars until we have a landslide final

racing is more unpredictable, and upsets are more possible when cars running CLOSE times are put next to each other, you know?

The "index" you want is exactly what makes bracket racing what it is.

There is no way to ensure that close cars are racing each other except for the first round. Once that first round happens everything just goes down the tree.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:56 AM
its always about who is fastest, thats the way its always been, thats how it should be

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 8:04 PM
i voted B, reason being there will be bracket racing at the bash, im planing my winter/spring mods just to be able to focus mainly on this event

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:13 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:its always about who is fastest, thats the way its always been, thats how it should be

i rest my case. lol

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:46 PM
Why do you care about it being about who is fastest? All the debt in the world AND an over hyped and over prices supercharger couldn't even break you out of the 13s. I would practice bracket racing at this point. With an ego like yours, going for who ever is fastest is only going to make you look worse.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 1:58 PM
im not even going to dignify that with a response

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:10 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:im not even going to dignify that with a response

maybe Index racing would be more suited for you. unless you only want to do test and tunes for the rest of your life

Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:52 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Why do you care about it being about who is fastest? All the debt in the world AND an over hyped and over prices supercharger couldn't even break you out of the 13s. I would practice bracket racing at this point. With an ego like yours, going for who ever is fastest is only going to make you look worse.

Oh that's harsh! But it's dead on!

+10

Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:29 PM
Quote:

There is no way to ensure that close cars are racing each other except for the first round. Once that first round happens everything just goes down the tree

I don't agree with this. How can you ensure it on the first round you won;t even know what people are running.

Out of the options I would say B.

I still think making it a bigger event with more classes for every type of J is best.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search