Location Planning for 2012 BASH - Page 6 - Events Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Location Planning for 2012 BASH
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:16 AM
1/4 Mile would be nice. Also, there are a few autocross places near me. About 15-20 minutes from the 2010 bash location.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:38 AM
So it sounds like to me, everyone wants to cut out the southern guys with cars still?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:45 AM
I dont think anyone is saying that..

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:21 AM
Nah no one is saying that Vince.

i think all the suggestions are coming FROM the Northern guys who are giving suggestions. The mass of the Org seems to be North anyway. The Southern guys should get in here and give their suggestions if they do not want to come North for the bash.

I haven't been to any tracks outside of Ohio minus IIRP in Indy which I loved. Joe was right, the heat steared people away from racing that day.

My suggestions are as follows in order of preference.

Some track in Ohio
IIRP in Indy.
Good track in Illinios??
The Michigan track that Joe mentioned.

Again, those are the only ones that I know of.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:56 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:

What about Indianapolis? Its been talked about before, seemed to be a favorite in the past.

The east coast guys wont drive that far.

Id race in Indy.

IL has Joliet for your professional track but getting runs will be impossible. Byron is decent and thats where camron runs most of the time. indy has IRP which is really nice. The ohio ones we have been at from what i saw were junk.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:32 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Nah no one is saying that Vince.

i think all the suggestions are coming FROM the Northern guys who are giving suggestions. The mass of the Org seems to be North anyway. The Southern guys should get in here and give their suggestions if they do not want to come North for the bash.

i will speak for me myself and I ( thou i hope Higgins and Gil as well as other FL people will comment) as a FL guy it seems like the last few bashes keep going more and more north which does feel like it is alienating the southern guys a bit but i do understand that the "majority" of the ORG is up north i myself have limited funds around bash time ( it usually falls between my wifes bday and our wedding anniversary ). that being said im cool with Tn especially hearing that the TX guys would come out, as they have great cars i would love to see in person. i know gil doesnt mind the drive further north but that is also because he has fam in Indiana and goes up that way every year for several weeks.

i personally have driven as far north as VA and as far "west " as TN and those are quite a distance for me. thou i know the bash will never truly come south like north FL im willing to go as far north as TN maybe a bit more but def not ohio or michigan, again thats just me

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:52 AM
Im cool with driving farther south as well, as long as its an area with a good track so I can make some embarrassing runs

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:04 PM
Vince the good tracks here in Ohio we will not be able to afford to rent our own lanes. Those are National Trails raceway here in Columbus, or Norwalk up more towards Cleveland. The tracks we have been to here for the bashes are the backyard ones people build themselves lol.

Jason I understand what your saying. Im cool with going south, especially if that means you souther guys will come.

I guess ill just sit back and wait to see what you guys come up with, ive given my suggestions. Maybe we should have an official poll after we get more suggestions.

306 TQ
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:13 PM
Just like jason above id make the run to tn if there was a 1/4 mile track and things to do But farther up is just to far.Either way everybody will not be happy with location thats just the nature of the org.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:59 PM
I have posted a few times in this post.

So again I will.

I would love to see the Bash come further South. Florida people wanted thies years ago before we had the ORG, and was told to go away and do our own thing. Thats when we created the Florida J show that went for 10 years, and even had turnouts as big as some of the Bashes.

I also realize we do not have alot of cars in our area anymore. Tn is cool, Ohio is cool. Va is cool. If I'm going to come I will come regardless of where it is.

It seems like further south might get the biggest amount of cars (including Fl, and Tx peeps).

As for track I could care less. Everyone will always find something wrong with every track. Too hot, not prepped, lline too long etc.... I can't say I'm going to race, wont know until right before the event.

The Bash to me is about the people and seeing some nice cars. So a cruise, and hangout time is what I'm looking for.

The drive is what I really love as well.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:04 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Vince the good tracks here in Ohio we will not be able to afford to rent our own lanes. Those are National Trails raceway here in Columbus, or Norwalk up more towards Cleveland. The tracks we have been to here for the bashes are the backyard ones people build themselves lol.

oh i dont doubt that. I mean regardless of where we go, if we go to a NICE NHRA track, we are going to have to get in line just like everyone else. But that is where we will also run our best times. My hats off to you and the others that raced at the previous bashs. Took a lot of balls to run down some of those surfaces.

good opinions getting tossed in for sure now.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:47 PM
Its funny because when Paul was organizing the bash two years ago he called those tracks I mentioned here and they were WAAY too expensive so I believe thats why we chose those other Ohio tracks.

But yea good ideas here. More ideas fellas!

306 TQ
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:53 PM
Quaker City Dragway is a decent choice, out towards the Youngstown, Ohio area. They run the Steel Valley Nationals there and just redid the surface a year ago, when they changed ownership. From past Bashes, the Norwalk and larger tracks were always ones we tried to Rent privately and never could come up with the funds to do so. But we could go out there on a open day and run like we did at the other bashes.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:03 PM
Hey guys..sorry ive been out the loop. been kinda distracted with getting a pair of rear caliper brackets *wink.

anyway....yea sorry there isnt more southern folk on here, most of the cars down here seem to be delta body now a days..not many Js to choose from, and even less to be see on jbo.
But alas this bash is for all GM compact cars right????!!! and i know my voice is only 1 person, but i do host the GM bash in texas every year, so i think i have a pretty good understanding of what people in my area will do. ( i think ) lol
Personally i dont care about track prep.....like its been said, everyone will always find a reason to complain. personally i dont care, turn off the times...i race for WINS...not for a piece of paper !!!
If we could host this is western TN i really think icould rally the guys here....TX , OK, and probably LA...even though im not sure of how many there are in LA. I will try to rally a few club leaders in the area and get them to speak there mind in this thread.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:38 AM
Do we need the perfect track? i dont run the track personally. but if someone has to have the perfect track to run there best time ever thats more something you go out and do thru-out the year to see what your car can run. does the bash have to have the best track for that? do we maybe get 20 cars out of the 50 that show up to race. i mean if fetters or someone is going to shoot for his best numbers he's likely to do it at home on his home track where if something goes wrong hes just a quick tow home. seems any quality track we look into we likely wont have cash for our own lanes. so your just running with the locals and there is no indicater of how many runs youlle get. at least with a smaller towns track, guys will get more runs in. may have there own lanes to race each other in and a little bit more freedom i guess you'd say versus just hoping we hit the track on an off night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:02 AM
oh im not saying we need a top of the line track, just a 1/4 mile track is all. I agree with you 100% on the making your record passes will happen at your local track. Most of the bash racing is just to race, put on a show, and have fun. I dont think we need a separate lane for that.

Which turns to the question, do we cut out the southern guys and get a decent track up north for 20 guys who will race? Or do we go to one of the only 1/4 mile tracks south and take our chances and get more people who could show up and maybe still only get the 20 guys racing. I really dont see a problem with going to a local test and tune and just plain out running with them... Getting rid of the quick 8 and what not, and just running test and tunes. Everyone gets to see a lot of different cars run, dont have to pay for a lane, and just see some racing. Pair up in the lanes and ask when they go to send cars if you can race such and such. most tracks are cool with that. Also, hell, might get to stomp on some locals...

just like every year it comes down to pleasing the people who will race, the people who will show, and the people who dont want to drive and want it in their back yard but still expect a huge turnout.(the biggest and hardest one).

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:42 AM
When I hosted the first Florida J show in Gainesville fl, we were at Gainesville Raceway, a NHRA track. I contacted them and they gave us 2 lanes for JBodies, and even gave us 2 trophies for fastes LD9 and fastest LN2. My point is once a area is picked contact some tracks and see what they will or will not do. We did not pay anything, but your normal entry fee. It was a test and tune night as well.

Being able to be in the same lanes with other J's would be nice. Also I would hate to be at a track (even if I'm just watching) that has some big event on and test and tune is the last thing they care about (aka 2010 Bash). If i did decide to race I would be very upset with only 2 runs. Any of the big boys of our group we would want to see will likely need just those 2 runs to make adjustments and get use to the track.

I also do not think the location should be determined by the track.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:35 PM
Here, let me be a dick and state the majority of my J friends are located in this region. I come to the bash mainly for the people I met 8 years ago that still get together, and have maintained friendships with over the whole time period. Future of the bash? There really isn't one to me, even CED isn't that great turnout wise. For me it's the history. Scene is dying, I don't know why I feel this way but look at the "WTB" ads, this place used to move parts like mad. Even the cobaltss.net classifieds have slowed drastically over the past year.

So in short, I'm a dick, there is no future, only reliving history, and I like to drink beer at these events.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:49 PM
the Jew wrote:
i will speak for me myself and I ( thou i hope Higgins and Gil as well as other FL people will comment) as a FL guy it seems like the last few bashes keep going more and more north which does feel like it is alienating the southern guys a bit but i do understand that the "majority" of the ORG is up north i myself have limited funds around bash time ( it usually falls between my wifes bday and our wedding anniversary ). that being said im cool with Tn especially hearing that the TX guys would come out, as they have great cars i would love to see in person. i know gil doesnt mind the drive further north but that is also because he has fam in Indiana and goes up that way every year for several weeks.

i personally have driven as far north as VA and as far "west " as TN and those are quite a distance for me. thou i know the bash will never truly come south like north FL im willing to go as far north as TN maybe a bit more but def not ohio or michigan, again thats just me

You pretty much summed up what I was going to say. The whole point of actually PLANNING this year was to move it farther south so that the TX guys and what's left of CFJ could come out and not have to drive almost 20 hours to get there. Tennessee/Kentucky is the middle-ground, according to the map. It seems a bit unfair to expect the southern groups to drive 20+ when some of the northern groups barely have a 5 hour drive. Maybe it would be nice if people started suggesting what they would like to SEE at the bash (not necessarily where it should BE), then the committee can do it's job trying to find a place that meets the criteria in a central ground? just a suggestion tho,,,,

May the odds be ever in you favor.....

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:07 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Here, let me be a dick and state the majority of my J friends are located in this region. I come to the bash mainly for the people I met 8 years ago that still get together, and have maintained friendships with over the whole time period. Future of the bash? There really isn't one to me, even CED isn't that great turnout wise. For me it's the history. Scene is dying, I don't know why I feel this way but look at the "WTB" ads, this place used to move parts like mad. Even the cobaltss.net classifieds have slowed drastically over the past year.

So in short, I'm a dick, there is no future, only reliving history, and I like to drink beer at these events.

Wow I almost agree with everything he said. Except the beer part, because beer is nasty.

I would love for this event to be what it was in 02 or 04. Those 2 years for me was just mind blowing. Having such a big group of J owners together. Enjoying talking to each other, putting faces to the screen names. Seeing people help each other out when there car broke down. Company's that supported us comeing out and even helping.

I know that is not realistic for most of it. We can try to make it more about the people, but not have to act like kids either.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:43 PM
the Jew wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:Nah no one is saying that Vince.

You got it right on point sir. Reguardless ill be going whereever it is. I go to meet the people and see the cars and have a good time. Ill race my car. If it breaks oh well. Its just a car. I personaly like tn. Its a nice state. so regaurdless of where it is I look forward to having a few beers and hanging out with everyone.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:45 AM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
Joe Schulte wrote:Here, let me be a dick and state the majority of my J friends are located in this region. I come to the bash mainly for the people I met 8 years ago that still get together, and have maintained friendships with over the whole time period. Future of the bash? There really isn't one to me, even CED isn't that great turnout wise. For me it's the history. Scene is dying, I don't know why I feel this way but look at the "WTB" ads, this place used to move parts like mad. Even the cobaltss.net classifieds have slowed drastically over the past year.

Wow I almost agree with everything he said. Except the beer part, because beer is nasty.

I would love for this event to be what it was in 02 or 04. Those 2 years for me was just mind blowing. Having such a big group of J owners together. Enjoying talking to each other, putting faces to the screen names. Seeing people help each other out when there car broke down. Company's that supported us comeing out and even helping.

I know that is not realistic for most of it. We can try to make it more about the people, but not have to act like kids either.

I agree with John and Joe. I have some good friends that I have met over the years because of this whole Jbody thing. I don't mind getting together to talk and hang out, but can we do something were we actually drive our cars?? I know we have not picked a location yet, but we talked about the Tail of the dragon before, or maybe hookup with a local charity for a poker run ?? I think we need something a little outside of the 1/4 mile track box.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:00 PM
^^I'm with him

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:23 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

I agree with John and Joe. I have some good friends that I have met over the years because of this whole Jbody thing. I don't mind getting together to talk and hang out, but can we do something were we actually drive our cars?? I know we have not picked a location yet, but we talked about the Tail of the dragon before, or maybe hookup with a local charity for a poker run ?? I think we need something a little outside of the 1/4 mile track box.

Poker run sounds nice.

I know at the 2010 Bash. You could get to the track on the back roads, which was a nice drive. country roads etc... Ryan, Erin, Robert and myself enjoyed that ride. This also allowed us to find some nice photo locations which Robert and I took advantage of.

I'm not saying not to have a track, but have something else. I sort of wish when we went to place to eat (can't think of the name), we had cruised in smallish groups. Instead no one really knew what was going on.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:56 PM
SCHULTE could anyone really stop you from being a dick? lol

SYNTH there is a comitee in place who are working on the plannning and location. no spots have been picked yet. there just asking people to throw ideas out. nobody has been left out as of yet thw whole part of the map was to find a centralized location that has what needed to make the event happen. don't read to much into what some people are in here saying about locations because as far as im aware no specific location has been picked, its just been a bunch of us point out possible spots or what could work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search