Tilt steering hinge pins are worn... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tilt steering hinge pins are worn...
Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:15 PM
On my 97 Sunfire, the pins that act as the hinge for the tilt steering on the column seem like they are wearing down or something. There was a little bit of side to side play when I got is last year, but it's been getting gradually worse over the past few months. I finally popped the column covers off today to see where the play was, and it's those pins. (Moreso the left pin)

Are these pins pressed, or threaded... or are they even serviceable? I'm not buying and replacing the whole column, so if they aren't servicable I'm just going to live with it.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2-door

Re: Tilt steering hinge pins are worn...
Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:08 AM
'96 w/ tilt here. Had some side-to-side myself for some time, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse. Lookin' for some disassemble, ond/or fix-it tips!
Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:04 AM
I might just try taking mine apart some time to see what I can turn up. The manual only gives me instructions for taking the whole assembly out, and I'm definitly not going to do that unless I REALLY have to.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

1997 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2-door
Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:37 AM
The tilit hinge pins are probably walking out.....there is a special tool that allows you to remove them.....if the pins are walking out i usually remove them and put red threadlocker on them and tap them back into place....if you cant remove the pins just take a ballpeen hammer and tap them back into place....hope this helps

Monday, April 24, 2006 10:03 AM
My 2000 Cavalier had the pins "walk out" too. I had side to side play and decided to investigate. The pins are inserted at the factory and then the housing is crimped to hold them in. I took a small screwdriver and tapped the pins back in. I then took a large screwdriver and hammer and re-crimped the housing (take it easy on the crimping Arnold!)

Haven't had a problem since, knock on wood.
Monday, October 25, 2010 11:41 AM
I think this just answerd my problem! THANKS!

Fireboy153
Brady Fire Co. - Station 150
Long Live The Sunflower! (yea its not so "cool")
Monday, October 25, 2010 12:16 PM
Mine have gotten wobbly again. Guess I'll have to reset them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search