Fuel Filter Removal - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel Filter Removal
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:25 AM
Well I already searched and basically everyone is saying to replace the quick connect with nylon hose or something along those lines. Anyways the first thing I need to know is how to get the quick connnect off. I tried the wrench between the two and pushing and that didn't work regardless of how hard I pushed. Pretty soon I am going to try prying underneath with a screwdriver unless someone has a better idea. Also I heard about a tool but don't know where to find one. Thanks

Re: Fuel Filter Removal
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:39 AM
The quick connect fittings on these fuel filters is anything but quick. They are a major pain in the ass.

You can get the tool at AutoZone for about $8. Refer to my handy diagram below to see how I got the fuel filter off my '99 Z a few years back.

Basically, even with the tool, I was still unable to get the filter off without cutting the canister part out so I could get a direct shot at the connector. You don't do any cutting of the fuel line, and the replacement filter snaps right into place of the original one, and most likely won't have the damn quick connectors.

PM me if you need any more help.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:32 PM
cut it with what!? remember is gas down there.. and did you cut off the Nut off the other side (opposite of the quick connect) IM also in a loss
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:39 PM
No I didn't cut the nut off.. I just forgot to draw it in the picture lol. You aren't cutting away anything you need. You are just destroying the filter that has to come out. I cut mine with a hacksaw. The part you need to cut through takes like 10 seconds to cut through with a sharp hacksaw blade. If you are afraid of cutting it you could always bend it back and forth till it breaks.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:54 PM
Go buy the tool at auto zone.
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:03 PM
REDGOTE wrote:The quick connect fittings on these fuel filters is anything but quick. They are a major pain in the ass.

Rob

Note, they are all quick connect fittings not disconnect fittings Anyways if you get the tool and fool around with it long enough it will come off
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 7:21 PM
Ok I think I will go ahead and get the tool and see if that works. However REDGOTE if I break or cut off the filter do I have to worry about the nipple of the filter going any further into the fuel line? Such as hold it with some needlenose pliers or something? Thanks
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:47 AM
As far as I can remember there is no way for the end of the filter to go any farther into the fuel line. It is held in place by the clip you are trying to release.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:24 AM
I did this on my 98 cavalier last week. I pretty much broke off the stock plastic retaining clip and used pliers to remove it from within the fitting and then used the autozone fuel line/ac line tool to disconnect the line. 15 minutes. Oh and dont get gas in your eyes.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:33 AM
I did a fuel filter on a Suburban and had to cut it like REDGOTE described. Get the tool from NAPA. They come in a kit and look like little plastic collars you slip into the quick connect fitting to release the prongs. I sprayed the fitting with Blaster and the sawed-off filter end pulled right out. Just use wrenches on the other end. BTW GM uses about 3 different kinds of quick connect fittings that I know of. Luckily I have a 2002 and have the green plastic collar that pushes out easily.

God bless America.
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 10:34 AM
Haha just don't use a sawzall to do your cutting!

God bless America.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:12 PM
When you buy a new filter it will come with a REAL QUICK connect clip i just changed my fuel filter last nite in under 5 minutes. i hated the stock black one damn that thing is a pita.

so just worry about getting the clip off with the old filter n throw the whole damn thing away atleast its only a one time deal

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 7:24 PM
Brandon Schmidt wrote:
so just worry about getting the clip off with the old filter n throw the whole damn thing away atleast its only a one time deal

So the black clip can pretty much be destroyed and it is not needed to hold the new filter in at all?? Your talkin about this one as well right...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:04 PM
Curious about this myself. I battled that damn clip for 2 hours and finally gave up. Figure that filter has been there for 5 years, it can be there for another 5.

Thursday, April 27, 2006 7:06 AM
driftincavy wrote:
Brandon Schmidt wrote:

So the black clip can pretty much be destroyed and it is not needed to hold the new filter in at all?? Your talkin about this one as well right...

Yeah that one can be destroyed. The replacement filter will most likely have a green connector which will go into the solid fuel line, unlike that black connector that goes around it.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:40 PM
Had a question also. I have changed my fuel filter 100 times. The problem that I am having is NY winters. I went to change my fuel filter last week and I can not get the nut off the filter from the line. It is rusted right too the filter. The only thing i could think is is buy a new line. Is anyone else having this problem and if I do get a new line where does the other end disconnect?
Thanks
Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:54 PM
100 times is way too much to change a filter..lol jk

i would get some sort of wire brush first then spray penetrating spray and try to knock it lose

Thursday, April 27, 2006 1:00 PM
But if it is already rusted that bad would it be easier to replace the line so this doesn't happen when I have to change it again?
Friday, April 28, 2006 5:57 AM
use some high pressure rubber line, some small hose clamps and a pipe cutter to cut the fuel line, try to flare the end too..

i got to do a fuel filter on my wifes 02 ls sport here soon. in the past i remember not using a special tool to get the filter off(on my other cav).

Friday, April 28, 2006 10:18 AM
I was definately thinking of doing that. The only concerns that I have is will the heat from cutting through the fuel line catch fire? And also I live in NY and the way that inspections are so damn hard will i not be able to pass inspection if they see that the fuel line is different?
Thanks
Friday, April 28, 2006 8:47 PM
Mine was like above, its the original IIRC, shame, i broke the pedals off on mine, and had to spend a half hour in fuel prying the clip out. The new ones are far superior, and highly recommend the AC Delco (used a Deutsch and the Delco, with the Delco being better). I once had an issue with an O2 sensor, and thought it to be fuel related, changed Fuel filter (even though the Deutsch was new), and the AC Delco made the car run better. Also, i think you are supposed to sqeeze the pedals (the part overlapping the fuel line, and pull the filter out, its how its said to be done, but weither or not it works for you though is another story.

Friday, April 28, 2006 8:58 PM
The purolator fuel filter I put on is easy to disconnect as compared to the two day saga it was getting the original one off.

Friday, April 28, 2006 9:11 PM
Ok guys here is a picture of the Purolator fuel filter that I have. If i remove the stock black one (not really sure how to get it fully removed) then will I be able just plug this clip into the fuel line and not have any problems??

Saturday, April 29, 2006 4:13 AM
On my 2002 I had to remove the plastic clip on the new filter as it wasn't needed. On my old 1993 the clip was needed.

God bless America.
Saturday, April 29, 2006 3:39 PM
driftincavy wrote:Ok guys here is a picture of the Purolator fuel filter that I have. If i remove the stock black one (not really sure how to get it fully removed) then will I be able just plug this clip into the fuel line and not have any problems??

Yeah leave the clip on. Thats the same filter I was talking about and is easy to connect/disconnect.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search