Crankshaft Sensor for 2.2L Ecotec - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Crankshaft Sensor for 2.2L Ecotec
Monday, May 15, 2006 8:02 AM
Hi,
I have a 2003 Ecotec from a cavalier and I need to know how many teeth the crankshaft sensor has and what configuration it is IE60-2, 36-1. 36-2, 12 teeth, 16 teeth ect). I am hooking up a Haltech E6X and need this information for the install.
Thanks

Re: Crankshaft Sensor for 2.2L Ecotec
Monday, May 15, 2006 7:53 PM
The crankshaft sensor doesnt have teeth. It is simply a sensor with a magnet it in.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:20 PM
Jeff wants to know how many teeth are on the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. Thats where the magnet picks up the highs and lows on the wheel.

But for your question, I dont know.

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:06 PM
Tinytim12333 wrote:Jeff wants to know how many teeth are on the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. Thats where the magnet picks up the highs and lows on the wheel.

Oh sorry didnt read it correctly then.

I know what you mean picking up the highs and lows, as the CKP sensor is analog AC, it produces its own voltage signal. As it gets closer to the magnetic par the voltage goes up and peaks, then back down.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 5:53 PM
Rob S wrote:
Tinytim12333 wrote:Jeff wants to know how many teeth are on the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. Thats where the magnet picks up the highs and lows on the wheel.

Oh sorry didnt read it correctly then.

I know what you mean picking up the highs and lows, as the CKP sensor is analog AC, it produces its own voltage signal. As it gets closer to the magnetic par the voltage goes up and peaks, then back down.

Just putting it in laymans terms. True the crank sensor is an analog AC voltage, and yes it does produce its own voltage. The reluctor wheel (think of it as a gear) has peaks and valleys (kinda like this WWWW but ar usually square). The wheel is made of a ferrous (conducts magnetic feilds) metal. When the wheel is on a peak per say, a magnetic feild is built up creating a high. And vise versa, plz correct me if im wrong.

And Jeff I just thought of this, try contacting companies that sell ecotec cranks, and ask them your question. If they are a reputable company they should answer all questions you may ask (only if it isnt classified info).

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
Friday, May 19, 2006 9:28 PM
Thanks for the good info.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search