intermittent setting on wipers - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
intermittent setting on wipers
Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:48 AM
all other modes work on my wipers just fine but when i use intermittent, the wipers park in the middle of the windshield obstructiing my view before move out of the way to wipe away rain again. ive read all the other topics about this but nobody seems to have the same problem. my wipers only act funny when they are on intermittent. any help?

Re: intermittent setting on wipers
Saturday, February 24, 2007 11:21 PM
My guess would youre relay in youre intermittent switch is not working properly, Possibly wornout, I would go to the wrecking yard, Pick on up for cheap, To see if that corrects youre problem.

Good Luck.
Monday, August 21, 2017 11:44 PM
Bringing back an old thread but im experiencing the same issue. Ive also changed the multi funtion switch and still no diff. As in the above post it only sticks on lowest delay setting and only sometimes. Ive found if i dont use the wipers for a while the problem is worse. I dont think theres a relay for it so what else an it be? Any solutions found?

ReD RaiN
Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:26 PM
It sounds like you broke something mechanical on the wiper motor assembly under the cowl. I had this happen on my old 96 Cavalier LS. Firing up the wipers too many times when there is either heavy snow or ice will do this. I had the same deal where they would stop right in the middle of the windshield and not go all the way down nor would they park correctly. In order to get them down I would have to quickly switch them completely off while they were moving downwards. It drove me nuts until I replaced it. I cannot remember the part that was broken but when I opened up the cowl to replace it the damage was fairly obvious (something was cracked/broken). It was clearly broken from the resistance of the snow and ice over time (this was my wife's car for many years before I started driving it) - I gotta be careful typing this as she is right next to me at the moment.

On a good note: The motors should be cheaper to get now since there are still lots of parts and many less CAVs on the road now!

I would be extremely surprised if swapping out the motor assembly for a new one or a known working one from another car does not fix this.
Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:56 PM
99LN2 Cavalier wrote:It sounds like you broke something mechanical on the wiper motor assembly under the cowl. I had this happen on my old 96 Cavalier LS. Firing up the wipers too many times when there is either heavy snow or ice will do this. I had the same deal where they would stop right in the middle of the windshield and not go all the way down nor would they park correctly. In order to get them down I would have to quickly switch them completely off while they were moving downwards. It drove me nuts until I replaced it. I cannot remember the part that was broken but when I opened up the cowl to replace it the damage was fairly obvious (something was cracked/broken). It was clearly broken from the resistance of the snow and ice over time (this was my wife's car for many years before I started driving it) - I gotta be careful typing this as she is right next to me at the moment.

On a good note: The motors should be cheaper to get now since there are still lots of parts and many less CAVs on the road now!

I would be extremely surprised if swapping out the motor assembly for a new one or a known working one from another car does not fix this.

Ok thanks. Am i able to remove the wiper motor without have to remove the whole rack?

ReD RaiN
Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:34 PM
I think it was a whole assembly for me as something was truly mechanically broken but I found this good video on youtube that can maybe help out with your case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZAirl-wLY

good luck!
Thursday, August 24, 2017 12:03 AM
I didnt need the vid but thanks anyways. I removed the whole assembly from my parts car today. Prob could have removed the motor with the right tool and positioning of the arms without having to take it off the car but it was much easier and simple to remove the whole assembly. Took maybe 10 mins to remove it from the car and remove the motor. Ill let u kno if it fixed my problem after i get it swapped over

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search