Muffler strap broke - easy to install myself? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Muffler strap broke - easy to install myself?
Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:35 PM
Tonight, on my 01 sunfire gt, the muffler strap snapped off. Luckily the whole exhaust is still intact because I think the dual exhaust setup is supporting it.

Is it a pain to change myself? Any tips on how to do it? Web links to show me? or is it worth to bring into a shop to install it?

This piece
http://www.macpheelocator.com/stockImages/x_199_22638488A.jpg

THanks

Re: Muffler strap broke - easy to install myself?
Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:59 AM
If the strap just broke and all the mounting bolts are still there, you should be able to just buy a new strap and do it yourself pretty easy. Either way...it's got to be eisier than installing a full exaust on a car and I did that myself, soo you shouldn't have any problems.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 12:35 PM
Thanks.

How much would GM typically charge for this part? it's sunday.. so my shop is closed.

Thanks.
Monday, June 04, 2007 11:18 AM
The strap is $13 from GM, dealers almost always have it in stock. I've had to replace them on my first Cav and also my Beretta. Just unbolt the mount that goes into the body and you need to swap that over to the new strap... Helps to take the wheel off, but not neccessary. Total time to fix: <20 minutes.

Dan Trump
2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
1996 Beretta Z26 - Raspberry Metallic
Friday, December 26, 2008 1:19 PM
Had the muffler strap break on me Christmas eve. Made my way to the under new management dealer, Colonial Chevy,in town today. He first needed my vin number I told him its an 03 without the sport package. He said it didn't matter. I then went to GM Parts direct on my phone, gave him the part number of the strap I wanted. He got it and told me it was 20 some odd bucks, I asked for a discount and he would didn't do it. I left and went over to Lowes and got to SS Clamps, from the plumbing department, for under $5 bucks. Like the clamp below. Took 5 minutes to repair and is all Stainless Steel now.

Apparently GM is not happy with only my tax dollars for a bail out but they want full price on parts that easy rust out.
GM making custom fabricators out drivers.

Friday, December 26, 2008 2:07 PM
It took me 5 minutes to replace mine on my 03. I didnt remove a tire or even jack the car up(i did fill the rear bags all the way).

Friday, December 26, 2008 3:51 PM
Chris Carney wrote: I asked for a discount and he would didn't do it.

not trying to be a dick, but why do people ask for discounts? you go to the dealership to get OEM parts. if you want cheap @!#$ty parts go to autozone. if i were him, i wouldn't have given you a discount either.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:48 PM
"if you want cheap @!#$ty parts go to autozone." The fact that they rust out all the time makes it a cheap part... :-)

I used to work in a garage, we got discounts. That 20 dollar part has a wholesale price at 11 bucks or so. I do not pay MSRP for my cars, why should I for parts? In addition to that now with the GM bailout, they should give me a discount.
Giving a discount is just good business.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:24 PM
Dealerships aren't owned by GM and will never see a dime of the bailout unless you consider them continuing to have a product to sell part of the bailout.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:33 AM
Masin tenn wrote:Dealerships aren't owned by GM and will never see a dime of the bailout unless you consider them continuing to have a product to sell part of the bailout.

Neither are the part manufactures, but GM survival, will allow them to continue to work, and produce parts.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 2:27 PM
The strap broke on my 05 Cav - I have it rigged with a generic repair strap but now the mount looks like it's going - NAPA and Carquest don't seem to a mount that matches (or straps for that matter) is a dealer the only place to get the right stuff???

JF

Monday, January 24, 2011 9:11 PM
Jim, to answer your question correctly no. There is the option of junkyards.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:24 PM
My strap and mount broke, $20 at a muffler shop, they put a new strap on and did a quick weld and i was out of there in 5 mins.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search