coil packs bad...what are the symptoms? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
coil packs bad...what are the symptoms?
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:46 PM
I have a friend who just told me her car broke down, and the garage they took it to said she needs 3 of the coils replaced, new wires and plugs.

my question is what are common symptoms when coil packs go? she said it was jerking/jumpy when she tried driving it.

i should note this is a 2000 hyundai sonata with the v6 2.5
he told her $950 to fix it. that seems way high to me, but who knows. kinda just looking for how you can tell its the coil packs that are the issue.

Re: coil packs bad...what are the symptoms?
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:36 PM
My coil pack went bad while I was driving into a parking lot. When it happened the car seemed to rev up for a second and then I lost a whole bunch of power like I forgot to down shift. I down shifted and gave it a little gas and I still wasn't going anywhere. The car seemed real jerky to me, and the loss of power was definitely and easily noticeable. Also, the exhaust note sounded like @!#$ and I was getting a funky smell from unburnt gas burning up in the catalytic converter. $950 seems a little high to me, it cost me around $320 to get 4 new platinum spark plugs, and a new coil pack, labor included.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:20 AM
thanks for the reply Ron, that sounds really similar to what she was describing.

and ya, i priced out all the parts and its a total of about $200

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:11 AM
If it's a V6 is should only have 3 coils... it seems stange that all of them would go bad at once...

If a coil starts going out... the car will start cutting out (put put put) under sudden acceleration.. and when they get worse the idle will start to get rough. Sorta like when a car drops a cylinder but not near as bad..

It could just as easely be a bad plug or wire though causing the same problem... and I'f it's started doing it on all cylinders at the same time... I would check the ICM also.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:22 AM
Almost sounds like a bad ignition module to me. I don't know Hyundai's that well though.

Aaron

97 Cavalier Z24 @ 85k
00 Cavalier Base Coupe @ 152k...rollin on 14's!
97 Grand Cherokee 5.2L@ 260k
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:09 PM
^^^ ICM = Ignition control modual.

I had a Tibby for a while.... not really that different... it's only a car... they're pretty much all the same when it comes down do it.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:34 PM
not to thread jack but i'm having this problem on my 2.4 auto. at highway speed it seems fine but when i go to pass a car its just like they key gets shut off sometimes. its not consistant but it seems to happen more when the engine is working hard at lower RPMs (about 2000 - 2500). if i floor it and get the engine reving higher it kinda burps as it goes by 2500 but runs good at high RPM. sometimes when it cuts out it will do it for 4 or 5 seconds at a time (engine is dead for that time). the coils or the ICM?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:22 PM
Well, sleepy sunfire--as you have----yours sounds more like one of these:-

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=129800&t=129800

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=128425&t=128425

Alont
Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:27 PM
i don't know if its these ^^^ b/c i don't get a CEL. about a year ago i had the same problem, i just swapped everything under the idi cover (had it laying around from another project) and it cleared it up till now. i think its the same problem i just don't want to buy and change everything if i don't have to.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:32 PM
i had this same problem with my old sunfire with 2.2 and come to find out the fuel pump was only working half of what is should have been.(refering to sleepy sunfires problem) i was told that the reason it runs well with higher speeds or rpms is the fuel leans out at higher rpms thus not needing as much fuel . if that makes sense???
Monday, November 26, 2007 12:00 AM
eazy u should tell her to buy all those parts , and charge her half of what the shop is charging her to install them, its a pretty simple job

Monday, November 26, 2007 7:16 AM
This problem is almost always caused by something between the IDI cover and the spark plugs going bad..... it's a chronic problem on a lot of our cars... I'm currenly on my 3rd set of coils since I've owned my car... my next mod's gunna be a MSD conversion (woulda been done by now but I'm saving for a new tranny )

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:59 PM
chris.... it better not be the pump, i just replaced that less then a year ago

weebel... i guess i'm just going to have to price out the parts and start changing them.... cheapest ones first

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search