How many qts for a filter and fluid change on a 4t40E? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How many qts for a filter and fluid change on a 4t40E?
Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:32 AM
How many qts of fluid does the 4t40E need for doing a fluid and filter change. My car is creeping up on 100,000 and I need to get this done.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Re: How many qts for a filter and fluid change on a 4t40E?
Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:14 PM
I think it's 7. Me and my stupid brain, I just did this too. Whatever you do, don't go by the Haynes manual. It's wrong.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:21 PM
wrong question. you should be asking how you can tell when you have the correct amount of fluid in the tranny.

you could also use the search button.

Inspect

The fluid level should be checked when the transaxle is near Room temperature or at 40°C (104°F) .

CAUTION: Removal of the fluid level screw when the transaxle fluid is hot may cause injury. Use care to avoid contact of transaxle fluid to exhaust pipe.

The engine must be running when the transaxle fluid level screw is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fluid level screw. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid.

WARNING: Do not turn the engine off with the fluid level screw removed as you can be injured by hot transaxle fluid being expelled out of the fluid check hole.

Let vehicle idle for three to five minutes with accessories off.
Apply brake
Move shift lever through all gear ranges, pausing three seconds in each range.
Place shift lever in Park. Important: Vehicle must be kept level on the hoist.
Raise vehicle on hoist.
Place oil container under fluid level screw.
Remove the fluid level screw with the engine running at idle.
Fluid level should be at the bottom of the fluid check hole. Because the transaxle operates correctly over a range of fluid levels, fluid may or may not drain out of the fluid check hole when the fluid level screw is removed. If fluid drains through the fluid check hole, this transaxle may have been overfilled. When fluid stops draining, the fluid level is correct and the fluid level screw may be installed. If fluid does not drain through the fluid check hole, the transaxle fluid level may be low. Proceed to ADDING TRANSAXLE FLUID.
Install fluid level screw. Tighten 12 N.m (106 lb in)
Lower vehicle.
Shut off engine. Adding Transaxle Fluid: With the engine running, add fluid at the vent cap location in half liter (1 pint) increments until fluid drains through the fluid check hole. Allow the fluid to finish draining through the fluid check hole.
Lower vehicle.
Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:23 PM
MiniTransAm/02WS6TA wrote:I think it's 7. Me and my stupid brain, I just did this too. Whatever you do, don't go by the Haynes manual. It's wrong.

dont go putting some predetermined amount and rely solely on what people tell you. 7 is a start for pan drop and filter change, but you need to follow the above procedure.
Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:22 PM
whiteboyz24 wrote:wrong question. you should be asking how you can tell when you have the correct amount of fluid in the tranny.

you could also use the search button.

Inspect

The fluid level should be checked when the transaxle is near Room temperature or at 40°C (104°F) .

CAUTION: Removal of the fluid level screw when the transaxle fluid is hot may cause injury. Use care to avoid contact of transaxle fluid to exhaust pipe.

The engine must be running when the transaxle fluid level screw is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fluid level screw. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid.

WARNING: Do not turn the engine off with the fluid level screw removed as you can be injured by hot transaxle fluid being expelled out of the fluid check hole.

Let vehicle idle for three to five minutes with accessories off.
Apply brake
Move shift lever through all gear ranges, pausing three seconds in each range.
Place shift lever in Park. Important: Vehicle must be kept level on the hoist.
Raise vehicle on hoist.
Place oil container under fluid level screw.
Remove the fluid level screw with the engine running at idle.
Fluid level should be at the bottom of the fluid check hole. Because the transaxle operates correctly over a range of fluid levels, fluid may or may not drain out of the fluid check hole when the fluid level screw is removed. If fluid drains through the fluid check hole, this transaxle may have been overfilled. When fluid stops draining, the fluid level is correct and the fluid level screw may be installed. If fluid does not drain through the fluid check hole, the transaxle fluid level may be low. Proceed to ADDING TRANSAXLE FLUID.
Lower vehicle.
Shut off engine. Adding Transaxle Fluid: With the engine running, add fluid at the vent cap location in half liter (1 pint) increments until fluid drains through the fluid check hole. Allow the fluid to finish draining through the fluid check hole.
Lower vehicle.

How is my question the wrong question? I am just dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter and putting new fluid in. I am not doing a complete overhaul like pulling out the torque converter and all.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:29 PM
Ferrite years ago explained that 9.5 qts were required if there was an
oil cooler. Mine takes 9 qts without a cooler.

Possibly a quart is drained when the filter is removed. Even if the
filter is not changed, removing the filter for a few minutes to purge
is easy. Just grasp the filter and pull down, there's no bolts, just
a tight o-ring holding it in place.
Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:41 PM
Warning - Some dealers have a suction system where a tube is dropped into the
fill hole and the old fluid is sucked out.

Remember, this does not purge about a quart that is held in place by
the filter. Then there's about two quarts in the torque converter that
escapes changing each time.
Friday, August 08, 2008 12:08 AM
I am not 100% how many quarts transmission fluid go into 4 spd automatic, When I didnt my tranny fluid & filter change, I just dropped the tranny pan, allowed the fluid to drain. Then opened the overflow valve near the back of the tranny, I think I added 5 1/2 quarts, once u see the fluid drain out of that valve hole. After it stops pouring out. its full. Basically it fool proof system works very well.

Good Luck.
Friday, August 08, 2008 5:02 AM
The01Cav wrote:How is my question the wrong question? I am just dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter and putting new fluid in. I am not doing a complete overhaul like pulling out the torque converter and all.

because you need a way to check it....and like i said, you cant just go and put a certain # of qts in it and think its all good. it would be like putting any fluid in the car and totally ignoring the dipstick. the info i gave you is equivilent to checking the dipstick in other transmissions.
Saturday, August 09, 2008 7:15 PM
I know that I have to check the fluid, I'm not a retard. I just wanted to know how many quarts so I can get the right amount. I would rather have too much than not enough but I don't want to overfill the trans either?

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Monday, August 11, 2008 5:35 AM
wow....are you listening at all???????????????

buy 10 qts and start filling till comes out of the @!#$ hole......thats how many you need. if you knew how to check the fluid level, you wouldnt need to ask this question.

Monday, August 11, 2008 10:07 AM
Why buy more fluid then you need. Yeah I do know how to check it out the sight hole on the passenger side of the trans. I'll figure it out myself. Thanks anyway......

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Monday, August 11, 2008 10:26 AM
whiteboyz24 wrote:
MiniTransAm/02WS6TA wrote:I think it's 7. Me and my stupid brain, I just did this too. Whatever you do, don't go by the Haynes manual. It's wrong.

dont go putting some predetermined amount and rely solely on what people tell you. 7 is a start for pan drop and filter change, but you need to follow the above procedure.

your question was answered on the 3rd post, but you kept going on and on
Monday, August 11, 2008 11:05 AM
some how I must have over read where it listed 7 with the whole procedure going under it. I have read from 7-9 qts so I was just trying to gauge to make sure. thanks.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Monday, August 11, 2008 7:54 PM
The01Cav , remember when the transmission is ready to be re-filled there
will be air trapped inside as you pour the fresh fluid. After pouring about
four quarts, stop. Re-start the engine and leave it idiling in neutral, then
pour the remaining fluid.

To omit this step makes it very possible for an overflow at the fill point
to occur with waste of fluid.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:28 AM
^^^thats part of the procedure. u fill it with the engine off. then you start the engine and run it through the gears, then fill it until the fluid comes out of the check hole. just dont forget to plug it up before you shut the engine off.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:57 AM
No. I'm talking about possible OVERFLOW as the filling is being done.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:01 AM
whiteboyz24 wrote:

For christ sake you think I'm some kind of freaking newb?? How would I know that it takes around 7 qts if I didn't know how to check the level in the first place?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:35 AM

you may not be a newb but you sure are a douche. and if you read any futher i actually said that 7 is a good number TO START WITH.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:25 AM
whiteboyz24 wrote:

you may not be a newb but you sure are a douche. and if you read any futher i actually said that 7 is a good number TO START WITH.

Yeah your right, that was a pretty stupid post on my part. My bad.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search