Engine Code: P0440...What Should I Do? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Code: P0440...What Should I Do?
Friday, April 10, 2009 5:30 PM
My check engine light came on, I scanned it and the code P0440 came up, someone had told me the gas cap could be faulty...so I replaced the gas cap. After I did that, I cleared the code, about 5 days later, the light came back on. It statese "Emission Evap Fault" is there anything else that I should know? Has anybody encountered this problem before?

Thank You.
James

Re: Engine Code: P0440...What Should I Do?
Friday, April 10, 2009 5:40 PM
i wrote: 0440 relates directly to the evaporative emissions system. the parts that it monitors include (from stern to stem): the gas cap, the gas fill neck, the gas tank, the gas tank pressure sensor, the vacuum lines running from the tank to the evap canister, the canister itself, the valve on the canister, the lines from the canister to the purge valve, the purge valve itself, and finally, the line from the purge valve to the intake manifold.
if any one of these 16 parts is faulty, it could trigger the 0440. the most common place to begin diagnosis is with the gas cap, as if not screwed on tight enough (by yourself or the gas station attendant) -or- if the rubber on the cap has degraded enough to not make a seal, then this code could be thrown. a gas cap should not cost more than $6-$8 at your local parts tore. next, a visual inspection of the lines to see if any are cracked, broken, kinked, or otherwise pinched off/leaking. if, after these inspections have been made and determined to not be the cause of the problem, i wold recommend getting your emissions system smoke tested.the parts after these simple diagnoses can get quite expensive depending on where you get them from, and as such, you'll only want to change the part thats causing the issue.

the search function works VERY well, if that doesn't help, try here.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, April 10, 2009 6:31 PM
I ignore it.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Friday, April 10, 2009 7:25 PM
Tinkles wrote:I ignore it.

i must admit, this is what i've been doing too.

Friday, April 10, 2009 8:01 PM
mine still throws that code but I know a way to make it pass emission test if you need it to go away for that other than that ignore it

Friday, April 10, 2009 8:44 PM
mine came up 'cause I forgot to put the rubber gasket in for the fuel pump..

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, April 13, 2009 6:57 AM
i have ignored mine for about a year to a year and a half.

Monday, April 13, 2009 4:26 PM
Been ignoring mine since we bought it in 02..
Monday, April 13, 2009 10:40 PM
could be as simple as a loose hose or somethin a bit more complicated such as the canister or purge valve, i'd prob take it into the shop for this one
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:05 AM
Ive had the same issue with my 01 cavalier 2200, I took into the shop they did a smoke test, nothing, All mechanic suggested like the dealer would say replace all the parts, Once u see the price for parts, I would just igore it. Plus @ the time I had emissions test, Had to be done. $300 of wasted money to get my car to pass, If i didnt owe still on the car I would sold it. They got it to pass the emissions test thats all I needed.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:03 PM
rich weeks wrote:Ive had the same issue with my 01 cavalier 2200, I took into the shop they did a smoke test, nothing, All mechanic suggested like the dealer would say replace all the parts, Once u see the price for parts, I would just igore it. Plus @ the time I had emissions test, Had to be done. $300 of wasted money to get my car to pass, If i didnt owe still on the car I would sold it. They got it to pass the emissions test thats all I needed.

sounds like the shop you went to really didn't know what they were doing. Everything in the EVAP system can be checked to see if anything is faulty.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:04 AM
here's a good one, I had this code for some time, did not think much of it, no need for inspections in michigan, the other day wife went to start it and it would turn over but not start, so when I got home, got my tester out, checked the fuel pump fuse, relay, I even checked for power at the conector by the tank, ( by the way why so many wires? cars I looked at before had 2 for power 2 for the tank gauge, this has 7, ????????????) it all checked out good.
there is a shrader valve by the back of the engine, I tryed it and no gas came out, then again I am not eve sure that is for the gas, the line it was on was kindof flimsy there were 2 other hefty lines going and coming from the fuel rail.
took a hammer to the botom of the tank and it fired up, weak but it did, checked that valve as it was running(green cap sais smth like hand tighten only) no gas came out as the engine was running, odd which is why I am not sure that is the fuel presure check valve.
I am prety sure my fuel pump took a dump, some more investigation is needed, like I said not sure which wire is which at the conector by the tank but a couple had power.
question is could the pump fail in such a way to cause this code, as in a crack where it would loose vacum?
any thoughts on this????????????????????
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:54 PM
Part #15 on that schematic. EVAP Purge Solenoid. In the newer 3rd's its right by the rear tire so any road debris/dust gets in it and keeps it from sealing properly. $30 part from dealer, remove hoses, pry off with screw driver, clear code, you're all set for a while.

Hellraiser and Lil Lightning
Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:31 PM
My CEL light is on.

Pulled a P0440 code, evaporative emissions system.

After some searching & reading, found some pretty useful information here (JBO) & on the net...

TSB's From the JBO Library:

02-06-04-044: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light Illuminated,
DTC P0440 Set (Replace Fuel Tank Evaporative Emissions Control System EVAP Vent Solenoid Harness);
2000-02 Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire. Engine/Propulsion 10-02

And this thread...

Wire Harness

I jacked the rear of the car up, crawled under & Lookie what I found under my car...

Looks like I'll be putting a NEW Fuel Tank Evaporative Emissions Control System EVAP Vent Solenoid Harness in!

Supercharged 2002 Cavalier Z24
J-Body Bash Veteran
Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:40 PM
^^weird I had the same code come in, found the same problem at the same site online like you did(great minds think alike? lol).. only downfall was this morning I pulled out that little solenoid harness to find out it was fine. used a volt meter and tested continuity from one pin to the other on both wires.. and both wires had full continuity.
lucky you though

Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:04 PM
Just ordered a new one from GMPartsDirect. (Got raped on shipping!)

*22687059 HARNESS $52.37

SUBTOTAL:$52.37
PROCESSING & HANDLING TOTAL:$15.95
TAXES:$0.00
ORDER TOTAL:$ 68.32

Hope it comes soon! I want that pesky Check Engine Light gone!

J-Body Bash Veteran
Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:07 PM
Soo how are you people make this code go away for emissions?

Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:18 PM
kevin, its just the 2 wire 10" long harness correct? 2plug into the solonoid, 4 plug into the dis block but only 2 pins in it?

mike, im pretty sure with HPT you can like delete the code so it doesnt trigger the cel.

Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:57 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:kevin, its just the 2 wire 10" long harness correct? 2plug into the solonoid, 4 plug into the dis block but only 2 pins in it?

Yeah, the harness, in its' entirety, can be seen in the first photo, the second photo is a close-up

J-Body Bash Veteran
Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:07 PM
that's what i thought, just wanted to make sure. I pulled the whole thing out this morning to test it. haven't driven the car yet to see if maybe the connection was just loose but i doubt it. going to call the dealership tomorrow to get it smoked.

Monday, March 15, 2010 7:14 AM
you guys that leave the light on and ignore it, does it hurt MPG?

i have noticed when i clear the light the engine idle/ tone changes. i'm wondering if it affectings how the engine runs?

i have changed my gas cap and now it comes on only when i start the car clear it drive no light, turn car off then on again it comes back. i guess i will have it smoke tested.

~1996 Cavalier LS 2.4L (auto)

Monday, March 15, 2010 7:59 AM
Letxen3 wrote:you guys that leave the light on and ignore it, does it hurt MPG?

nope.

Quote:

i have noticed when i clear the light the engine idle/ tone changes. i'm wondering if it affectings how the engine runs?

thats because the fan comes on with the CEL. fan draws some power and makes more noise, that's what you're hearing

Quote:

i have changed my gas cap and now it comes on only when i start the car clear it drive no light, turn car off then on again it comes back. i guess i will have it smoke tested.

9/10 it's NOT the gas cap causing the issue.

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:54 AM
Harness came today, going to install it & throw my 17's back on too!

J-Body Bash Veteran
Monday, April 26, 2010 7:10 AM
Hellraiser319 wrote:Part #15 on that schematic. EVAP Purge Solenoid. In the newer 3rd's its right by the rear tire so any road debris/dust gets in it and keeps it from sealing properly. $30 part from dealer, remove hoses, pry off with screw driver, clear code, you're all set for a while.

Sounds fairly reasonable ... I don't suppose there's a way to bench-test the purge solenoid?

_________________________________________________________________________________
2003 Cavalier, base with auto/tilt/CD/AC (wife's) -- 2012 Mazda5 Touring with audio package (mine)
Monday, May 17, 2010 6:09 AM
Luis Marroquin wrote:sounds like the shop you went to really didn't know what they were doing. Everything in the EVAP system can be checked to see if anything is faulty.

Hm, still no answer to my question this inspired ... maybe the respective experts haven't had time to come around yet? Rather interested in learning how to test the purge soleniod, if possible.

Stephen (manta z) wrote:mike, im pretty sure with HPT you can like delete the code so it doesnt trigger the cel.

Overlooked this one last time I was in this thread. What's "HPT" stand for in this context?

_________________________________________________________________________________
2003 Cavalier, base with auto/tilt/CD/AC (wife's) -- 2012 Mazda5 Touring with audio package (mine)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search