Trouble changing rack & pinion on 99 Pontiac Sunfire....need suggestions - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trouble changing rack & pinion on 99 Pontiac Sunfire....need suggestions
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:53 AM
How do we replace the rack and pinion on a 99 Sunfire?

We have gotten everything off except being able to get the power steering pump hoses off the rack and pinion. How do you get those off, what size wrench does it take, and what needs to be losened up in order to get the rack and pinion out? We can not seem to be able to get a wrench on the power steering lines so there must be a trick to it. Do you have to put anthing on the fittings to keep it from leaking or just metal to metal and tighten it up?

Re: Trouble changing rack & pinion on 99 Pontiac Sunfire....need suggestions
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:30 PM
O good lord, nightmare huh. well all i can advise is to try and take them off the pump(till u get the rack out on the floor, these lines are effing expensive and i snapped both mine off on my old car( rusted like a mofo) these lines have a fitting on the end ( a bubble flare) that keeps it from leaking, just metal to metal is fine.
Re: Trouble changing rack & pinion on 99 Pontiac Sunfire....need suggestions
Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:23 AM
There is a subframe that has to be unbolted to get the rack off. Why are you replacing it? There was a recall on these cars for the steering rack.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search