TCC solenoid location? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TCC solenoid location?
Friday, March 12, 2010 6:45 PM
Can anyone tell me where my TCC solenoid is located.

I found out last week that the TCC solenoid is bad. I have had problems with the car dying after I got off of the highway. It was jerking, and vibration really bad when I would almost stop and then the engine would die. As I would start it up, and put it into gear, it would die again. After letting it sit for a few moments, it would start right up and drive.

The dealer service dept said that it would cost over $600 to replace it.

Then I got on another message board and was told that the TCC solenoid is just on the other side of the tranny pan, and that was way to much to pay for something that isnt that hard to replace.

I called 2 different tranny shops and asked them where it was located, and they said under the pan. Well today I dropped the car off at one of them, and not hearing a word, I called them around 4:30 and they said that they were wrong, and the whole tranny would have to come out to get to it. As long as I was spending $600 to $700 to replace it, I should just have the whole tranny rebuilt.

How do I find out exactly where this darn thing is located?

I just dont know who to trust, and I hope that someone on here has experience on 1993 sunbirds, and can tell me where it is.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion on how to find this out.
Julie

Re: TCC solenoid location?
Friday, March 12, 2010 7:50 PM
There should be a plug in on top of the transmission.Unplug it and see what happens.You you should be able to drive it with out having the TCC plugged in on a 93.There is a side pan on the transmission were you can access this solenoid.Dont have to pull the whole trans.
Friday, March 12, 2010 8:05 PM
I shouldve said its in the front of the transmission almost on top.
Friday, March 12, 2010 9:24 PM
Thanks, I will go out and look tomorrow to see if I can find it. We tried to find it 2 days ago, and couldnt see one, but I will look again with better lighting.

I was told on a different message board that it could have 2 wires, one blue and one white. I gave up on that board, because they all got into an argument about pulling that plug and leaving it off. One guy said that it would burn up the tranny, and the other 5 people said it wouldnt hurt it.

Will post tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks, Julie

P.S. The guy today sounded upset because I didnt want the tranny overhauled. I am guessing that is what that was all about. How knows.
Friday, March 12, 2010 10:32 PM
Bull sh!t on the tranny coming out. TH125c tcc solenoid is accessed by removing the side pan. 01SilverFire is right on with the location of the electrical connector. Only problem is maybe rad hoses or intake covering it up, but it's on the front of the trans near the top. Also don't worry about leaving it unplugged. The TH125c is world renowned for the tcc solenoid keeping the converter locked, and people having been leaving it unplugged for years. Transmission originally came without a locking converter (TH125 without the C), and being a non overdrive transmission actually helps. Reason being is the motor is revving higher and farther past the stall speed of the converter than the same car with an overdrive.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 5:42 AM
Yeah.. Im not expert on it, But as far as i understand its function, the only thing that will suffer from having it disconnected it a bit lower gas mileage (slightly higher rpm when cruising)
Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:05 AM
Is this plug the only one going into the transmission? I am a little leary about pulling the plug, so I thought I would ask. I just dont want to go out and pull the wrong one! LOL.

Hopefully when the sun is up more, I will go out and try to locate it.

Thanks, Julie
Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:53 AM
Should be the only plug in that area as that transmission is not electronically controlled for shifting.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 11:23 AM

I took this picture of the cover. Is that the cover that the TCC solenoid is behind?

We are going to unplug the wires today, drive it and see how it does. Then on Monday we are going to purchase the solenoid and replace it sometime next week.

I will let you all know how its going.

Thanks again so much for your input!

Julie
Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:17 PM
Yeah that's the cover. Wires are the biggest pain in the A where they terminate at the other end of the solenoid.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 6:13 PM
Ok, how long can I unplug the wires on top that connect to the solenoid and leave it off?

The other message board that I posted on, the guys are still arguing over how long you can leave it off, and what it will do to the tranny. Its almost a joke now. They are just arguing back and forth, they aren't even talking to me about it.

If anyone is interested, go to this board and read their postings, only if you are bored! LOL.

But seriously can I unplug it and leave it off until I get it fixed on friday?

Thanks again for all the advise, you have helped so much!

Julie

http://action.publicbroadcasting.net/cartalk/posts/list/40/2138696.page#2705737

Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:16 PM
Like I said earlier the TH125 originally came without a locking converter. For years cars came without a locking converter, and with the three speed I wouldn't worry about burning up the transmission unless there was already a problem not related to the TCC. Now with an overdrive transmission I'd prefer the converter locked and here's why. Let's say the car has a converter with a stall speed of 1500 rpm. This means when the motor or more importantly the impeller pump reaches 1500 rpm then either the turbine in the converter has to turn to overcome the load or the motor won't be able to rev any higher. Now the car can still move UNDER the 1500 rpm stall, but there's a lot more slippage and consequently heat generated by the torque converter. With a lower geared three speed you won't be hovering around the stall speed when just cruising as the motor will be turning faster due to lower gearing, but an overdrive lugging around at 40 in 4th gear will have more converter slip causing more heat which is the downfall of automatics.

FWIW the TH125c in my 94 Cavalier has an unplugged TCC solenoid and have driven it that way for about a year. Replaced the solenoid, but have a little bit of shudder with the converter locked so it stays unplugged. Bought the car right before having to be at work, and had the converter stay locked driving it home and ended up having to do a few neutral drops to get it back to the house in order to swap cars to get to work on time. Don't know if the neutral drops did some damage or how long it had been going on with the previous owner, but obviously the clutch doesn't feel quite right locked up. Didn't know where the connector was at the time it happened. Truthfully I like the feel of the car without the converter locked, but that's just me.

Monday, March 15, 2010 9:21 AM
Any idea if that tranny cover has a gasket on it?

Thanks, Julie
Monday, March 15, 2010 11:08 AM
Yes there's a gasket

Monday, March 15, 2010 2:13 PM
Should I use a gasket sealer compound on the gasket.

If so, do I put the gasket sealer on the tranny, or the cover?

Thanks, Julie
Monday, March 15, 2010 8:54 PM
Don't have to use a sealer, but it does help keep the gasket in place on the pan. Light coating of grease will also hold a gasket in place.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 8:45 AM
Thanks again so much for all the help! I am anxious for friday to get here and hopefully get the darn thing fixed!

Julie
Friday, March 19, 2010 12:31 PM
Just got the solenoid on. Now to put everything back together! I am amazed how easy that was. I am so glad that I did not pay someone to do that. Of course as most of you know, putting a gasket back on can be a pain, but I am just so relieved that its on! Now the fun part! Hopeing behond hope that it is fixed!
Cross your fingers for me. We have to get it done tonight, its 73 degrees right now, but tomorrow we are suppose to have 6 to 14 inches of snow. I dont work on cars when its cold out. Even with a space heater! LOL.

Thanks again to everyone. I will let you know if its fixed or not.

Julie
Friday, March 19, 2010 3:17 PM
Can anyone tell me how tight the bolts need to be on the cover? I dont want to have them too tight, but I dont want to leave them too loose either.
Thanks, Julie
Friday, March 19, 2010 9:56 PM
Got everything back together, and drove around about 30 miles on the highway. So far, so good. But in the past its gone over 200 miles and it didnt do it, then it started up again.

Thanks to everyone who replied, and help out. It went quicker than I thought, and I am going to cross my fingers that its fixed for good!

Julie

If its not fixed, I am sure I will post again to see where to go next!
Friday, March 19, 2010 10:37 PM
Good job. How bout that $600 quote claiming the transmission would have to come out? Pitiful how they try to take advantage of people.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:13 PM
I know around here most of the tranny shops do have a bad rep for taking advantage of their customers.

We had a 87 chevy sprint that got an overhaul. They not only over charged us, it only lasted one year and two weeks. We called them and said it quit working, and they said too bad. I said look, its only 2 weeks over the year warrenty, and you could at least look at it and tell me whats wrong. They refused! They did get a bad BBB report from me, and I passed the word along and they lost buisness after that. I dont think they are open anymore. Thats what happens when you treat others that way.

I am sure glad we did fix it ourselves. We just didnt want to do it, but it turned out ok.

thanks again so much, Julie
Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:29 AM
Thanks Silverfire!

I unplugged the TCC solenoid and the problem was totally eliminated. The major parts stores did not stock the solenoid and I found it through RockAuto for only $28.00. I will replace as soon as it comes in!

You really saved me allot of trouble and potentially allot of money. I appreciate it. Dieselpuller
Monday, April 19, 2010 2:46 PM
not to steal thread on my 97 2.4 ca convertable i dont have a plug. its a bunch of wires were the autotrans would go i believe. anyone know for sure what color wire to cut. i believe im having te same problem?
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:23 PM
anyone?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search