car starts and almost immediately dies - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
car starts and almost immediately dies
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:33 PM
So I've tried fuel pump and filter, pcm, gauge cluster.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.

Re: car starts and almost immediately dies
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:04 PM
issue is accompanied by gauge cluster not working, but the computer and daignostic port have power and data.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:10 AM
True story. I checked the wires at the cluster and they all seem to be proper. The serial data wire has continuity.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:10 AM
I had that problem with a 93 Sunbird GT once and it was a ground wire that mounts on the drivers side seat mounting pillar under the carpet that was broken at the clip.
Friday, May 14, 2010 5:23 AM
Alright, did some more research, going to tear into it shortly. From what I read, the ALDL data wire splits out somewhere under the radiator. Read about a guy with a similar issue, and that's where the issue is. I'm going to go with Passlock, and since I don't have cluster communication, can't set it.

Saturday, January 04, 2014 7:50 PM
Hey, I know this thread is ancient, but I'm having the same issue in my 98 z24. Fuel pump pressurizes the lines, car starts, drinks what's in the lines, and dies immediately after. No cluster activity at all. No CEL, or any other warning lights flash upon starting the car, yet blinkers and backlighting seem to work fine. I've tried replacing the PCM, but no change. Also replaced crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, and the ignition switch in the column. No improvement. I'm stumped, so if any of you guys know what direction I should look in next, I'd really appreciate it. I tried searching for other topics on this subject using the search tool, but didn't have much luck. Thanks in advance to anyone that has any useful info.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search