1999 SUNFIRE VATS SYSTEM BYPASSING IT HELP - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1999 SUNFIRE VATS SYSTEM BYPASSING IT HELP
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:02 AM
IVE GOT A 1999 SUNFIRE HOW DO I BYPASS THE VATS SYSTEM

Re: 1999 SUNFIRE VATS SYSTEM BYPASSING IT HELP
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:23 AM
Hptuners or passlock bipass module

Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:32 AM
WHERE DO I GET EATHER
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:57 AM
Take your key, measure the ohms of the chip... Go to radio shack, buy the SAME value resistor. There are two yellow wires in a orange(?) loom by the base of the steering column (under the dash).. cut them and solder in the resistor.

Im sure I didn't give you enough information but with the help of google, you should have everything you need.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:14 PM
Wait - the 1999 has the resistor in the key? Its not like the Passlock system with the wires off the ignition?

----

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:55 PM
Oedwards wrote:Take your key, measure the ohms of the chip... Go to radio shack, buy the SAME value resistor. There are two yellow wires in a orange(?) loom by the base of the steering column (under the dash).. cut them and solder in the resistor.

Im sure I didn't give you enough information but with the help of google, you should have everything you need.

There are no chips in any Jbody key. So im not sure where you got that information. They did have them on some buicks and such, but not on J's. Like said earlier, I think the only way you can bypass it is with HP Tuners, or the bypass module.

Like Road said, its off the ignition cylinder and such. IIRC there are two yellow wires on there, but im not sure what they read exactly.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:21 PM
I believe that your car has the passlock 2 system. The resistor is actually in the lock cylinder, and won't let the car start if you are not using the key(or something like that). I've got a file that explains it a bit better and tells you how to defeat it. It does require going into the steering column and cutting and splicing wires, though. I'll send it to you if you want.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire (LN2)
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:30 PM
^^^ See that makes more sense. I know there isnt one on the key itelf. Hmm, never knew that part lol

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:15 PM
In my 1998 if I start the car (engine running) I can disconnect the wires from my ignition (the security wires are right under the lock cylinder, not the actual ignition wires) and it will bypass the system. My security light comes on, but the car has no problems running or starting and all I have to do is plug it back it and its ready to go again. I am pretty sure my car is PASSLOCK I however, so not sure if that would work with PASSLOCK 2. Attempt at own risk.

----

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:39 AM
IT'S NOT VATS, IT'S PASSLOCK. SEE OTHER THREAD FOR ANSWER.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:57 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:
Oedwards wrote:Take your key, measure the ohms of the chip... Go to radio shack, buy the SAME value resistor. There are two yellow wires in a orange(?) loom by the base of the steering column (under the dash).. cut them and solder in the resistor.

There are no chips in any Jbody key. So im not sure where you got that information. They did have them on some buicks and such, but not on J's. Like said earlier, I think the only way you can bypass it is with HP Tuners, or the bypass module.

Like Road said, its off the ignition cylinder and such. IIRC there are two yellow wires on there, but im not sure what they read exactly.

That was I thought when he said vats.. I was like wtf?

so i told him how to disable vats lmao.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs

Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:06 PM
it's probably pats

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search