1998 Cavalier Electrical Gremlins. Won't start, Won't Jump - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1998 Cavalier Electrical Gremlins. Won't start, Won't Jump
Monday, April 18, 2011 9:18 AM
I have a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2 OHV. Recently the car won't start. When i put the key in the ignition i get:

- position 1:
o ding
o all lights on the dash light up
o relays click, sounds like its coming from the BCM

- position 2:
o dash lights dim/flicker

- start:
o all lights go dark
o no click from the starter solenoid
o no sound from the fuel pump

- run:
o all lights dark

I tried jumping the car and I get no change.

I cleaned the battery terminals and make sure it was making good contact. No change

I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment. All fuses are good.

I pulled the battery out and took it to autozone for testing. They said the battery was good.

I suspected the ignition switch. I replaced the switch but still there is no change.

I'm at a loss for what to do next. I really don't want to tow it to a mechanic if I can avoid it. Any suggestions on what to check next?

Re: 1998 Cavalier Electrical Gremlins. Won't start, Won't Jump
Monday, April 18, 2011 1:05 PM
Did u try banging the starter with a hammer or something?do u hear the fuel pump prime when u turn the key to the on position?Try checking the bolt on the fuse box where the starter and battery wires connect to it.I had that bolt come loose on me once and it caused some power problems.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Monday, April 18, 2011 1:08 PM
> Did u try banging the starter with a hammer or something?

Haven't tried that. I'll give it a whack.

> do u hear the fuel pump prime when u turn the key to the on position?

I don't think so. I'll try having someone else turn the key and listen

> Try checking the bolt on the fuse box where the starter and battery wires connect to it.I had that bolt come loose on me once and it caused some power problems.

This is box in the engine compartment right? Where the ignition fuse is?

Could a bad starter cause the problems I've seen (lights go out when trying to start)?
Monday, April 18, 2011 1:14 PM
Yea a bad starter will do that. Yea the fuse box under the hood. It's a 10mm bolt I believe. Just tug the wires and see if it's loose or try tightening it.it's probably ur starter though.have someone try to start the car while u bang the starter with a hammer.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Monday, April 18, 2011 1:16 PM
> have someone try to start the car while u bang the starter with a hammer.

I'll give it a try. I'm curious what exactly does this do?
Monday, April 18, 2011 3:59 PM
-You can put a test light between the purple (at least on a 97 the only small wire on the solenoid) small wire going to the starter solenoid, and a good ground (or the neg battery post), then turn the key all the way forward and see if it's lighting up.
-Make sure the stud isn't loose on the starter solenoid that the purple wire is going to
-If it lights up then the problem is forward of the wire.... the solenoid or starter itself
The solenoids are cheap enough.... $20 or so.
The actual starter is quite expensive if I remember right... in the hundreds range.
-If the test light doesn't light up.... then go backwards... park/neutral safety switch.... ignition switch (which you've done)etc.
Possibly check the ground to the battery tray.... I can't see it being bad enough to not start the car.... but *shrugs*
Monday, April 18, 2011 7:58 PM
I fixed it. It ended up being two things. Corroded battery terminals and a bad ignition switch.

I cleaned the battery terminals with a wire brush and it fired right up. I switched back to the old ignition switch and i got nothing. So it's both. Glad i didn't have to pull the starter.

Thanks for the advice.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:21 AM
Glad you fixed it. same thing happened when i swapped my eco into my 95 i didnt latch the ecm clamps down fully and when try to crank the ecu was not maintaining contact !

Saturday, November 23, 2013 11:57 AM
the motor will turn but not fire the fuel pump works can smell gas when you turn key but wont fire it ran last night
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search